BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

Just now, DE. said:

Norwich may be looking at how Peterborough got us to up our bid for Szmodics and think they can squeeze a little more out of us if they play hardball. Evidently they aren't in a rush to sell him and may wait until the end of the window to see if Rangers make their interest concrete or if we are desperate enough to put more money on the table.

Personally I'd leave it alone if they aren't willing to accept the £2m offer. Considering the potential attitude problems at play I'm not sure it's worth chasing any further. 

Imagine Szmodics costs more than Cantwell, absolutely mental 😂

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Sorry can you respace,issues with the site again. Same as before. Can't quote either.

Are you using Samsung Internet on your phone? I think the issue is with that not, the site. My phone did an OS update before Xmas & it's been like that ever since.

If you use Google Chrome instead, everything works fine.

Edited by windymiller7
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AspRover said:

Honestly I think back to before JDT and Broughton arrived, no manager, no clear hierarchy behind the scenes and half the squad seemingly gone (with BIG question marks over whether we would lose more of them, and the fitness of some of them) and I was genuinely afraid that we'd start the season unable to put out an 11 that wasn't completely padded with panic freebees and youngsters who weren't ready yet. I had no faith in any ability at the club to sort it out and genuinely expected, not feared, expected relegation.

The fact that we ended up with something approaching a balanced first team with mostly adequate cover in all positions and with half the season gone could relatively realistically end up in the playoffs is something I would have bitten your hand off for. Only two teams in the last 8 or 9 seasons got relegated with more than the 42 points we're on right now (by far and away the highest of course being us, when we somehow managed it on 51).

Now in hindsight Hirst and Mola didn't pan out, but we aren't going to lose much on them. I kind of think that by managing Dack back into fitness Szmodics has been made to look like an unnecessary signing. If Dack's knees had completely gone and he'd been sent to the glue factory Szmodics would have played more of a role, and might have looked a bit more effective.

It was no way near as bad a window as some people are making out. Jury's still out though - don't mistake me for a 'happy clapper', we need to improve a fair bit. We don't deserve to be as high as third, but seeing as we are this is an opportunity to build on what we've got and improve into the second half of the season. If they can do that rather than the inevitable Mowbray death spiral I'll call it a pretty successful first season. 

We supposedly lost 12 players at the end of last season, we've replaced them with 6,only 2 of which have played a full part. 

Far from being left in the lurch, Tomasson has been left with almost the perfect blend for what he wants to achieve. 

Room to add his own choice of player, a current squad which is 3rd in the league, and no older fringe players needing game time meaning he can give the academy lads more game time in the cups than they could have imagined. 

He inherited an ideal situation,if GB can pull out a couple of rabbits, we should be well set for a play off place. 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, Dack’s done ok in that role but another player capable of doing similar things would be handy. 

is that 10 role we talking or in centre midfield?

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I hope this isn’t true. The lad has lost his way completely. We can’t afford to be re-habilitating players at this point in the season. A loan would be bad enough but no way should we be signing him permanently. The new Marcus Maddison.

I hope it is true. Good player who is creative in the final third and it was only 2 years ago he was best young talent around. I'm not sure I go higher tho given he is out of contract in 6 months time tbh with the bid 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Cantwell is not what we need. Would want to play from the left and isnt particularly fast. Plus hes not done anything for a while to justify his early promise. 2m is a lot of money to spend on him too.

Why isn't what we need? creatively in the final third. Maybe JDT is the man to bring him back to bring that player we watched 3 years ago. 

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

The thing is though does Ben Brererton actually want to leave this window? 

In a few months time he can pick which offer he likes best and move on then.

I don't see Brererton leaving this window. He would be daft to join a premier league team in danger of Relegation

From what he has said before he is happy here and he wants to get us promote this season. If he gets promote with us then I think he stays. If not, I think he moves to Spanish club in the summer. 

1 hour ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Championship rovers or champions league rangers? 

Lad also has huge attitude problems, I can see him going the deli alli route, he thinks he's better then he is and it's starting to fall apart for him

Probably one off champions league rangers. He would be better going there anyway. The spl is a far easier league to score in

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I hope it is true. Good player who is creative in the final third and it was only 2 years ago he was best young talent around. I'm not sure I go higher tho given he is out of contract in 6 months time tbh with the bid 

Why isn't what we need? creatively in the final third. Maybe JDT is the man to bring him back to bring that player we watched 3 years ago. 

From what he has said before he is happy here and he wants to get us promote this season. If he gets promote with us then I think he stays. If not, I think he moves to Spanish club in the summer. 

Cantwell will be like the second coming of David Bentley. Another one who lost his way badly

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Liam delap been recalled from Stoke. He's being sent out on loan again.  He would be ideal but I'm guessing Vincent kompany link will have him at Burnle

Haven't we just been through something similar with Hirst and now you want to repeat it ?

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Cantwell will be like the second coming of David Bentley. Another one who lost his way badly

All depends what Cantwell's problems and I guess none of us know what they are. 

Bentley had falling out of love with the game and he is enjoying life away from Football now

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Liam delap been recalled from Stoke. He's being sent out on loan again.  He would be ideal but I'm guessing Vincent kompany link will have him at Burnley 

Would be good loan signing but would we not be better with pacey striker coming in which would be different to Gallagher then

9 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

unfortunately he is`nt very good,we need a few proven performers imo not george hirst types

Delap is far better than Hirst, but your point is valid. Getting a proven Championship Striker is close to impossible. There are so few, and we don't have enough money to pay transfer or wages for that kind of quality. Any striker we can get will probably be some kind of gamble. A foreign gamble might be more exciting though. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Championship rovers or champions league rangers? 

To be fair, teams from Lithuania (and the like) qualify for the CL each season too, doesn't make them a necessarily attractive proposition.

If Cantwell has any ambition to play at the top level, he'd surely prefer to excel in the Championship than north of the border.

I'd take him - he's still young enough, change of scenery would hopefully help him, he's shown that he has excellent ability and we're surely make a chunky profit on him after a couple of seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Imagine Szmodics costs more than Cantwell, absolutely mental 😂

Szmodics cost £1.7m according to Rich Sharpe, but even then, different situations. Szmodics didn't have 6 months on his deal and he was an important player for his team, not one that had been in such poor form for such a long period that he couldn't make a 20 man squad at the weekend.

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Is he creative in the final third? No goal and no assist in 2 years.

Thankfully, another rumour that can be put in the pile of "absolute bollocks." 

We need a central striker mainly in attacking positions.

• Like 1

We have a highly regarded recruitment guy now and an expanded backroom operation all working under a DoF.

So lets hope they come up with something although identifying is the easy part getting them over the line isn't.  They'll need some sort of room in the budget and wages otherwise Vs are paying people for bugger all again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roverandout said:

He has a far better pedigree than hirst

Possibly, but he can't have pulled up any trees at Stoke or else he would still be there. I can just imagine the reaction on here if we signed him and turned out like Hirst. We can't afford that risk with him

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, windymiller7 said:

Are you using Samsung Internet on your phone? I think the issue is with that not, the site. My phone did an OS update before Xmas & it's been like that ever since.

If you use Google Chrome instead, everything works fine.

Yeah, this I think @RevidgeBlue

Same happened to me on Samsung Internet. Highlights everything in blue and goes crazy adding blank spaces.

Infuriating. I've switched to Chrome and works perfect. 

• Like 1