BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 29/12/22

8 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Still nearly got caught several times passing across our own box and contrary to what you say it happened several times in the first half. It was better but by no means cured , it was still one pass from disaster.

I thought we played really, really well in the first half last night. We could have easily gone in at half time 3-0 up. I could see identity and a clear approach to the match and thought Dack, Hedges, Buckley, JRC and Pickering where standout players.

However Boro let us play like that. I’ve never questioned that we are capable of that. It’s when we play a team pressing us and putting challenges in we have a breakdown. We don’t like it when we can’t play how we like. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Although with VAR as the ref missed the original incident he would have been asked to review the incident on a monitor and not go of the fourth official view 

He would only have been asked to look at the pitchside monitor if the VAR believed it to be a clear and obvious error irrespective of who made the decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

When the first thought in recruitment is get young cheap potential gems to get games into and increase in value then sadly it'll throw up many more like Hirst and Mola.

Let's take a look at the recruitment in the summer. So the main criteria was to replace the 3 contract rebels I assume everyone agrees. 

Is Hyam better than Lenihan ? Imo YES.  

Is Brittain better than Nyambe ? Imo YES. 

Is Szmodics better than Rothwell ? This one is tougher. Rothwell is no doubt the better technical player and has that ability to travel with the ball well. Szmodics isn't a good a player but seems to be more of a goal threat in a disrupted season for him .( 3 goals in 14 compared to 3 in 41 last season for Rothwell).

So, out 6 incomers we have 2 we ho have been great, 2 average in Morton and Sami and 2 poor in Hirst an Mola. Luckily the poor signings can be sent back so no real harm done there. All in all I would say for a first window it's been pretty good. 7 out of 10 I would say

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garnersfags said:

The important point here is that regardless of the law, no other referee has (ever?) applied the law in this way, so the ref was wrong to interpret in this way, as he has seen the ball thrown at an oppponent many times over the years and never given a red for it. 

I also agree that it was the Boro bench, who complained to the 4th official, who then alerted the ref, who had to make a decision whilst not knowing what force the ball had been thrown with. 

Therefore, he assumed the ball may have been thrown with the same force as Kounde against Barca, and covered himself by taking the same action. 

A chain and catalogue of small errors and misunderstandings.

Very sad, and an overreaction by both JB and the Preston-schooled ref....

None of the match officials  or the Boro bench had clear sight of the incident.

The Ref was looking in the opposite direction and the 4th official could not have seen it in any detail from the JW side of the pitch.

A complete fiasco. Not worth an appeal, the authorities would do the usual and protect their own.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blondie said:

Broughton is as responsible as Tomasson for the situation, the recruitment has been very poor.

“We need a centre forward our decent options are currently close to nil.”

“Meet George Hirst, so good we’ve been chasing him all Summer.”

What a way to announce your arrival as DoF.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, booth said:

“We need a centre forward our decent options are currently close to nil.”

“Meet George Hirst, so good we’ve been chasing him all Summer.”

What a way to announce your arrival as DoF.

Sorry, can't agree. The major signings ( ie the permanents) have been an improvement on the ones that left overall. Nobody gets every signing spot on, luckily those that have been poor we can send back. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Sorry, can't agree. The major signings ( ie the permanents) have been an improvement on the ones that left overall. Nobody gets every signing spot on, luckily those that have been poor we can send back. 

Can we, though? Might there be an obligation to keep for the season/name in matchday squad/buy; especially with Hirst? I just can't see any reason for him still being here.

3 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Debatable for me.

Hyam and Lenihan yes

Szmodics and Rothwell no

Brittain and Nyambe probably but tbc and fairly minimal (given we had to pay a fee and likely larger/similar contract I’d say not worth it)

Add in the below par loans compared to Van Hecke and Khadra I’d say we are far from an improved squad, add in the shocking position we’ve got ourselves in with BBD we’re much weaker 

13 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

I think you are missing his biggest error.

Not signing a good striker permanently.

Could be the difference between play offs and mid table. I know last season was ultimately forgettable but haven’t we learned our lesson?

10 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:

Can we, though? Might there be an obligation to keep for the season/name in matchday squad/buy; especially with Hirst? I just can't see any reason for him still being here.

Checked with Rich Sharpe this morning, both Hirst and Mola signed for the season and can't be returned. As far as playing time is concerned, can't believe there is an obligation to give either game time

Just now, Tugayisgod said:

Checked with Rich Sharpe this morning, both Hirst and Mola signed for the season and can't be returned. As far as playing time is concerned, can't believe there is an obligation to give either game time

That’s disappointing.

• Like 1

Just now, Tugayisgod said:

Christ what a waste, of a wage and squad place Hirst is going to be.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, superniko said:

Debatable for me.

Hyam and Lenihan yes

Szmodics and Rothwell no

Brittain and Nyambe probably but tbc and fairly minimal (given we had to pay a fee and likely larger/similar contract I’d say not worth it)

Add in the below par loans compared to Van Hecke and Khadra I’d say we are far from an improved squad, add in the shocking position we’ve got ourselves in with BBD we’re much weaker 

Everybody would like JPVH back but he does seem to be in and around the squad at Brighton ATM. Would love us to try again in the summer, especially as Ayala is out of contract ( I think).

Khadra done nothing at Sheffield United since being there. Flattered to deceive for me 

4 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Everybody would like JPVH back but he does seem to be in and around the squad at Brighton ATM. Would love us to try again in the summer, especially as Ayala is out of contract ( I think).

Khadra done nothing at Sheffield United since being there. Flattered to deceive for me 

Khadra hasn’t got a football brain. Plenty of pace will only get you so far at a higher level.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Their parent clubs are not stupid but they recognise stupidity when it comes calling.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If I were Hirst in particular I’d be asking to be recalled. He’s only going backwards here.

Backwards implies he offered anything to begin with... ~40 games at this level and not a single goal to show for it. At least Chris Brown offered something else to make up for his absence of goals! He clearly doesn't belong at this level so why persist?

Edited by RTM08

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If I were Hirst in particular I’d be asking to be recalled. He’s only going backwards here.

Sadly, in the ego-driven, cossetted fantasy world that is professional football the lad (Hirst) probably doesn't even clock that there is a problem with him continuing to thieve a living from Rovers / Leicester. The sad part is that there are plenty of people within the game, JDT included, who ought to know better and do something about it, like keeping him out of the first team, where his presence not only winds up the paying (baying) fans but also denies a place on the bench to either of the the comparative footballing maestros below:

Cone.gif

35 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

While we are talking about Lenihan, thought it was pretty poor a few around me in lower jack walker were booing him when he got on the ball last night. He was at Rovers a long time and did very well for us. He had a chance to move for more money and probs his last chance for a decent money move on his career. We were in no man’s land with manager etc. cannot blame him one bit. 
Footballers are humans just like any of us and sometimes you make decisions based on what’s right for yourself. If he left on bad terms and downed tools last season then I’d understand it but he gave his all the whole time he wore a blue and white shirt.
If this was you last night then you’re pathetic   

For a bit of balance he received a very good reception at full time from all the stands, which when you consider how frustrated the fans were reflects well.

• Like 3

The last two games have been horrible. A last minute defeat in the previous game, which always hurts, and our worst 10 mins of the season yesterday to lose a game that we dominated in the first half. Gut wrenching.

I really don't enjoy watching Rovers these days, you just know they'll generally find a way to dampen your day. 

Ironically, I thought it was one of our best halves of the season yesterday. Good movement, knowing when to play short and when to go long, and aggressive when out of possession. What a ridiculous red card. I think we should take a good look at the table now as we're going to find ourselves a lot lower than 3rd very soon. Still, we have to be realistic with the squad of players we have. We're lacking quality.

• Like 4