BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 29/12/22

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

You have a point here, but on the flip side, do we want players committing acts of petulance on the pitch all the time?

Should bouncing the ball off the back of an opponents head whenever they are feeling a bit sulky become as commonplace as moaning about every decision? Does spitting on someone really do any damage? That time Joey Barton punched Pedersen in the stomach, it wasn’t really a hard punch.

From acts like Buckley’s to the fact players dive and feign injury all the time, the scrutiny is always on the referee. Buckley and most other players need to grow up and be held accountable.

I agree, red cards for all of the offenses above. Will be lovely finishing with 8 men a side for the forseeable. 

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

On the day the officials will decide the outcome and on another day Buckley might not have been sent off. Simply down to interpretation and your wider point about inconsistency is an issue in the game. What irks me more though is that Buckley put himself in a position whereby he gave the officials a decision to make.

If VAR had been used last night I don't believe the red card would have been overturned because it wasn't a clear and obvious error by the officials. Whilst it's really subjective and open to interpretation I don't believe that in law the referee was wrong. It will be interesting to see if Rovers agree or not and lodge an appeal. 

So he won't be sacked then?

And people question why the standard of officiating is so low in this country. Beggars belief that a guy can 'make a decision' that's so unbelievably wrong, ruining the game for 14k+ supporters, and simply turn up for work the next day without a care in the world. 

36 minutes ago, DE. said:

Hopefully common sense will prevail and it'll be rescinded. If it is then I assume that will also mean people won't want the lad fined, publicly berated and loaned out into exile anymore. 

They can't rescind it because that's tantamount to admitting that the referee handed Boro 3 points last night.

It's an old boys club, they'll rally round their mate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

So he won't be sacked then?

And people question why the standard of officiating is so low in this country. Beggars belief that a guy can 'make a decision' that's so unbelievably wrong, ruining the game for 14k+ supporters, and simply turn up for work the next day without a care in the world. 

Is that any different than a player making a mistake and giving a goal away or missing an easy chance? As frustrating as it is mistakes happen because they are human.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Maybe with the rumours re a loan away in January, JRC has realised that he is in the last chance saloon if he wants a Championship career.

Yeah, if you’ve had a succession of injuries you try and protect yourself to the detriment of your playing ability. I think he’s now gone all in. Let’s hope it pays off.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Is that any different than a player making a mistake and giving a goal away or missing an easy chance? As frustrating as it is mistakes happen because they are human.

The difference being that if a player routinely misses sitters or gives goals away they generally find themselves out of the team, whereas the same refs make horrendous errors game after game and yet the next weekend they’re sent out again to ruin someone else’s afternoon

Maybe if they lost a percentage of their match fee for an overturned red card then they’d think twice about dishing them out, and only do so if they were absolutely 100% certain about it (which really ought to be the minimum requirement anyway)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Christ what a waste, of a wage and squad place Hirst is going to be.

Fair enough we have to pay Hirsts wage, that does not mean we have to play him. Everyone makes mistakes and I can forgive whoever signed him, for that. They should just bite the bullet, admit the mistake, and say to Hirst you have five months to save your career, starting in the U21s. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Let's take a look at the recruitment in the summer. So the main criteria was to replace the 3 contract rebels I assume everyone agrees. 

Is Hyam better than Lenihan ? Imo YES.  

Is Brittain better than Nyambe ? Imo YES. 

Is Szmodics better than Rothwell ? This one is tougher. Rothwell is no doubt the better technical player and has that ability to travel with the ball well. Szmodics isn't a good a player but seems to be more of a goal threat in a disrupted season for him .( 3 goals in 14 compared to 3 in 41 last season for Rothwell).

So, out 6 incomers we have 2 we ho have been great, 2 average in Morton and Sami and 2 poor in Hirst an Mola. Luckily the poor signings can be sent back so no real harm done there. All in all I would say for a first window it's been pretty good. 7 out of 10 I would say

My point was outside of looking for like for like with a few million to do that the extra recruiting in potential hasn't been very good.

Brittain and Hyam were it was suggested on Rovers radar for a long while poss going back to last season so having them on the list would fall under the previous recruitment scouting.

Credit the new bunch for getting them over the line obviously but then we come to Hirst. Mortan, Mola and Szmodics who all appear to have GBs stamp on them. Not so great at all i don't see anything in Morton that guaranteeing him a starting berth has ever justified.

Szmodics i can see the idea there but was it worth tying up a couple of million in ?   No not for me.

The other two ok we can send them back but the fact Broughton said they'd chased Hirst from the outset and Szmodics they put in about 5 bids is worrying.

36 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Maybe with the rumours re a loan away in January, JRC has realised that he is in the last chance saloon if he wants a Championship career.

Hes really bucked his self up recently and now we finally see what those behind the scenes must've done to keep faith in him. Although the fact he was put up for loan suggests the new guys weren't that impressed but surely he has to be kept around now.

We could do worse than give him a run in the middle imo and stick Travis at RB

23 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

The difference being that if a player routinely misses sitters or gives goals away they generally find themselves out of the team, whereas the same refs make horrendous errors game after game and yet the next weekend they’re sent out again to ruin someone else’s afternoon

Maybe if they lost a percentage of their match fee for an overturned red card then they’d think twice about dishing them out, and only do so if they were absolutely 100% certain about it (which really ought to be the minimum requirement anyway)

Give me some examples of the same referees making 'horrendous' errors week after week. I'm not defending any referee here by the way but there is an overreaction to some decisions generally speaking. Having seen every Rovers game this season I'm struggling to think of a match where a referee has unfairly influenced the outcome of the game. I get as frustrated as anybody with decisions sometimes but try and keep a sense of perspective.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Its probably already been mentioned but just how good a game Rankin-Costello had yesterday? At Sunderland too.

It was noticeable just how much effort he put in and his aggressive approach which has sadly been lacking from the team since JDT arrived. 

Yeah he was good. Let's hope he keeps the form going. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Give me some examples of the same referees making 'horrendous' errors week after week. I'm not defending any referee here by the way but there is an overreaction to some decisions generally speaking. Having seen every Rovers game this season I'm struggling to think of a match where a referee has unfairly influenced the outcome of the game. I get as frustrated as anybody with decisions sometimes but try and keep a sense of perspective.

I would say excessive force was used by a Burnley player, first on Kaminski and on two other occasions. It may not have affected the outcome, but he never received a sharp word, let alone a card. 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Hopefully common sense will prevail and it'll be rescinded. If it is then I assume that will also mean people won't want the lad fined, publicly berated and loaned out into exile anymore. 

It was still a needless and stupid thing to do, something you know you shouldn't be doing from schoolboy teams upwards.

Whatever the outcome his actions again contributed to us losing so yeah he should damn well be fined otherwise how is he accepting accountability ?

Then he should be allowed to move on and put it behind him.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The standard of refereeing generally in the Championship is poor - perhaps not always massive game changing decisions, but just general inconsistencies, like last night - in the first half two or three times he allowed a quick free-kick from not the exact spot of the foul, but then suddenly just before halftime decided that a free-kick had to be moved 5 yards to the side so that it was taken in the ‘correct’ place - why? - and picking and choosing which rules to enforce and which to ignore (how often are players allowed to dive, time-waste etc without consequence)
Imo, far too often the referee makes himself the centre of attention instead of realising that people aren’t there to watch him. And the frustrating thing, like I said, is that there is seemingly no consequences for turning in a shocker. 

And, all other decisions aside, a red card ruins the game and were only ever intended to be given in extreme circumstances - it feels now like they are given out far too easily for the slightest thing. I’d much prefer refs to err on the side of caution and to come away from a game moaning that someone didn’t get sent off than feel like I’ve been short-changed by the game being spoilt as a contest. 

Again imo, it should be the intention of the ref to keep 22 players on the pitch unless he really (and I mean really) has no other option, and is 100% convinced about what he has seen - I reffed for about 20 years (not to your level - just teenagers and the odd bit of Sunday league) and I never once sent a player off

• Like 2