BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 29/12/22

47 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Hes really bucked his self up recently and now we finally see what those behind the scenes must've done to keep faith in him. Although the fact he was put up for loan suggests the new guys weren't that impressed but surely he has to be kept around now.

We could do worse than give him a run in the middle imo and stick Travis at RB

Good shout

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Its probably already been mentioned but just how good a game Rankin-Costello had yesterday? At Sunderland too.

It was noticeable just how much effort he put in and his aggressive approach which has sadly been lacking from the team since JDT arrived. 

Currently leading the MOTM for 2nd game running…

Agree on JRC, he’s been tidy on the ball, took up some good defensive positions and has been aggressive off the ball.

Glad to see the red has been appealed; it’s clearly a ludicrous decisions and if it’s not overturned, the FA have defended the indefensible.

I wasn’t wanting to share this, as I hate the ‘I’m not sharing my source’ thing. But I'm not sharing my source for reasons of confidentiality (shared some info a number of years ago on the Rovers site forum and almost got somebody at the club the sack, so I won’t do it again).

Feel free to disregard, it genuinely matters not to me.

But the Adam Wharton stuff is plainly untrue. He should be playing more, totally, but none of the ‘clash with the manager’ happened.

• Like 1

• Backroom
26 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It was still a needless and stupid thing to do, something you know you shouldn't be doing from schoolboy teams upwards.

Whatever the outcome his actions again contributed to us losing so yeah he should damn well be fined otherwise how is he accepting accountability ?

Then he should be allowed to move on and put it behind him.

Eh, I feel like a fine would be a harsh reaction, especially if the red card is rescinded as it would suggest Buckley shouldn't have been sent off in the first place. In my view measures like that should only be reserved for extreme situations - genuine violent conduct (throwing punches/kicks, biting), unnecessary aggression towards fans, missing training sessions, being late for a match day and failing to travel with the squad, etc. 

All JDT has to do is sit him down and say look, what you did was dumb and put us in a bad situation. Do it again and you'll find it very hard to win my trust back. Everyone's clear, we all move on. It's not like Buckley has a history of being sent off for stupid reasons. Only one other red back in 2019/20 for a reckless lunge which frankly would have been far more deserving of a fine than this incident.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

The standard of refereeing generally in the Championship is poor - perhaps not always massive game changing decisions, but just general inconsistencies, like last night - in the first half two or three times he allowed a quick free-kick from not the exact spot of the foul, but then suddenly just before halftime decided that a free-kick had to be moved 5 yards to the side so that it was taken in the ‘correct’ place - why? - and picking and choosing which rules to enforce and which to ignore (how often are players allowed to dive, time-waste etc without consequence)
Imo, far too often the referee makes himself the centre of attention instead of realising that people aren’t there to watch him. And the frustrating thing, like I said, is that there is seemingly no consequences for turning in a shocker. 

And, all other decisions aside, a red card ruins the game and were only ever intended to be given in extreme circumstances - it feels now like they are given out far too easily for the slightest thing. I’d much prefer refs to err on the side of caution and to come away from a game moaning that someone didn’t get sent off than feel like I’ve been short-changed by the game being spoilt as a contest. 

Again imo, it should be the intention of the ref to keep 22 players on the pitch unless he really (and I mean really) has no other option, and is 100% convinced about what he has seen - I reffed for about 20 years (not to your level - just teenagers and the odd bit of Sunday league) and I never once sent a player off

In the years I was active there was always a variety of characters with different traits amongst the referees. Some pretty much craved attention, some were reserved but by and large they just wanted to referee a game devoid of controversy. Amongst them were different tolerance levels and game management skills but ultimately the overriding priority was to apply the laws of the game and sometimes that includes the ultimate sanction, a red card. They are accountable though and there is a merit list based on delegates marks and club marks and in my ten years on the Football League several of my colleagues were thrown off for consistently poor merit league placings. Similarly being near the top would get you higher profile league games, playoffs and cup finals. It's different now because of Select Groups One and Two being full time employees of the PGMOL and having the employment rights that I, as a self employed referee didn't have. But ultimately refereeing isn't an exact science and mistakes will be made as I know from my own experiences.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DE. said:

If there was no penalty to appealing then I can understand why the club tried, even if it was unlikely to succeed.

The tariff for violent conduct is three games and I'm surprised that the appeal was against the length of the suspension rather than Rovers appealing on the grounds that the red card was wrong. Or perhaps they felt Buckley might have got an extra game for a frivolous appeal which has happened in the past.

• Backroom
1 minute ago, arbitro said:

The tariff for violent conduct is three games and I'm surprised that the appeal was against the length of the suspension rather than Rovers appealing on the grounds that the red card was wrong. Or perhaps they felt Buckley might have got an extra game for a frivolous appeal which has happened in the past.

Yeah, can only assume they weren't confident enough to go for a full on appeal against the red card and risk the extra game. As you've said, the rules are what they are, so the defence is there for the referee and it seems unlikely an appeal against the decision itself would have succeeded.

Violent conduct my arse.

Silly schoolboy level petulance, yeah, all day long.

Red card? Someone somewhere was taking the pish, and we all know it. 

The FA? Bunch of myopic, self-serving, introspective retards, with an eye on the backhanders and brown envelopes that are the scourge of the game.

Silly silly boy Buckley. Cost us the points and the chance to reverse the mid season rot that seems to have set in again. If I were Rovers I would be giving ticket holders from last night free entry or a pie & pint at the Cardiff game, as compo for such a wretched show. I can't say there is much incentive there for walk-ons, at £25  pop, a New Year's, Day hangover and shine weather  - it isn't floating mah boat, tbh!

Rovers 0 Cardiff minus 2 ( we will.be shite, but they will be ubershite!)

Rock on You Bluze!

Edited by Shirley Crabtree Wrestler
Fat, round, overcooked and blubberiffic.

• Backroom

Not surprised the appeal was rejected, technically a red however soft you think it is.

For me the worst (if probably irrelevant) decision the ref made last night was blowing for full time exactly on 96 minutes after a sub taking up extra time plus a free kick and a corner that took a minute each with the ref motioning that he was stopping his watch 

• Like 5

The fact that it was his head made it had to be a no brainer for FA. With the rules on head injuries, heading the ball worries, plus protecting refs decisions they would need a quick decision and move on.

A little bit more for JDT will be to install professional approach in training. If this has happened in a game what's the atmosphere like in training??   

• Like 1

Thought the first half was a decent performance with a good mix of short passing and more direct cross field balls. Probably should have bagged one or two more. Also Boro could have had a couple and got down the wings a lot.

Second half was just ruined by a poor first 5 mins then the red card. Stupid to do it but no right minded ref would red card for that. So a better performance than of late but nothing to show for it. Desperate for 3 points v Cardiff now  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

But ultimately refereeing isn't an exact science and mistakes will be made as I know from my own experiences.

For me Tony that was the beauty of the game. Players and referees making mistakes, which in turn made  for more organic game as opposed to the sanitiser boring model we have today 

Edited by funny-old-game
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, funny-old-game said:

For me Tony that was the beauty of the game. Players and referees making mistakes, which in turn made  for more organic game as apposed to the sanitiser boring model we have today 

That’s why lots of games in the recent World Cup were so thrilling. The refs let the game be more physical.

8 minutes ago, funny-old-game said:

For me Tony that was the beauty of the game. Players and referees making mistakes, which in turn made  for more organic game as apposed to the sanitiser boring model we have today 

Debating decisions Tony whether it's in the bar after a local parks match or after the World Cup final has been part of the game since time immemorial. And there is rarely an amicable convo if your opinions differ. As you rightly say Tony who wants a sanitised game.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

The fact that it was his head made it had to be a no brainer for FA. With the rules on head injuries, heading the ball worries, plus protecting refs decisions they would need a quick decision and move on.

A little bit more for JDT will be to install professional approach in training. If this has happened in a game what's the atmosphere like in training??   

I don't want to use up my quota of ☝️ 'likes' 😉, but I totally agree with this first paragraph. Additionally, there was what seemed to be a fairly close precedent from a Cardiff game earlier this season which the FA would doubtless have taken into account.

Ideally, @Cherry Blueyour second comment is something that clubs should be able to expect from mature adults, imo. And if I'm being over-optimistic about the maturity of footballers, you'd hope - I would, anyway - that it's something that would be addressed by the Under-18s coaches into their charges.

And finally, now that the club’s appeal has been rejected, I hope Buckley's been hit with a club fine, as a way of making him see what is and what isn't acceptable behaviour.

• Like 1

Genuine questions?

1.Is the club in a better position management/backroom wise than last season?

2.Is the club in a better position team wise a) generally b)to gain promotion?

3. Are you enjoying watching Rovers more/less/the same than last year?

PS I have no agendas and certainly don’t want Mowbray back.

For what it’s worth, I’m with those who think that the ‘project’ (which ultimately leads back to you know where) is the problem and that essentially it is pointless to get too excited about ‘progress’ as things stand. Go with low expectation so as not to get disappointed. Maybe that kind of mediocrity and lack of ambition is baked in.

Naturally, that doesn’t stop us pontificating, “discussing”, letting off steam, wandering down memory lane, theorising, conjecturing on a forum. J

Like Mani’s wife, I could be doing something far more profitable with my time but habit, loyalty and the smell of the turf are in the veins.

On another note, I notice the usual rant about refs and calls for them to be sacked. LOL. As though there are hundreds of qualified ones waiting to step in. And why indeed would you? Being pilloried by idiot fans or rich prima donnas. Ex-players don’t want to do it and I guarantee that any of the ranters on messageboards and phone-ins would last less than 5 minutes in the job if given the chance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

In the years I was active there was always a variety of characters with different traits amongst the referees. Some pretty much craved attention, some were reserved but by and large they just wanted to referee a game devoid of controversy. Amongst them were different tolerance levels and game management skills but ultimately the overriding priority was to apply the laws of the game and sometimes that includes the ultimate sanction, a red card. They are accountable though and there is a merit list based on delegates marks and club marks and in my ten years on the Football League several of my colleagues were thrown off for consistently poor merit league placings. Similarly being near the top would get you higher profile league games, playoffs and cup finals. It's different now because of Select Groups One and Two being full time employees of the PGMOL and having the employment rights that I, as a self employed referee didn't have. But ultimately refereeing isn't an exact science and mistakes will be made as I know from my own experiences.

I used to love the old way where we presumed amateur refs were in it for the love of the game and refereed to the best of their ability and completely unbiased. Of course they made mistakes but these were the talking points in the pubs for the rest of the week.

I would love us to have a Brian Clough type manager whose players would accept the ref's decision regardless and never, ever argue and complain.

28 minutes ago, aletheia said:

Genuine questions?

1.Is the club in a better position management/backroom wise than last season?

2.Is the club in a better position team wise a) generally b)to gain promotion?

3. Are you enjoying watching Rovers more/less/the same than last year?

PS I have no agendas and certainly don’t want Mowbray back.

For what it’s worth, I’m with those who think that the ‘project’ (which ultimately leads back to you know where) is the problem and that essentially it is pointless to get too excited about ‘progress’ as things stand. Go with low expectation so as not to get disappointed. Maybe that kind of mediocrity and lack of ambition is baked in.

Naturally, that doesn’t stop us pontificating, “discussing”, letting off steam, wandering down memory lane, theorising, conjecturing on a forum. J

Like Mani’s wife, I could be doing something far more profitable with my time but habit, loyalty and the smell of the turf are in the veins.

On another note, I notice the usual rant about refs and calls for them to be sacked. LOL. As though there are hundreds of qualified ones waiting to step in. And why indeed would you? Being pilloried by idiot fans or rich prima donnas. Ex-players don’t want to do it and I guarantee that any of the ranters on messageboards and phone-ins would last less than 5 minutes in the job if given the chance.

1, Not sure. I hope so.

2 Yes

3 Less

The project should be to try by hook or crook to finish in the top 6 by having the desire right through the club to punch above our weight.  That's how it always used to be and that was the base for past success however large or small.

There should be no other project or desire for our club.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 6