BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Rotherham United (a) - 14/1/23 k/o 12:30pm

When Rovers fell apart last year, I thought, "thank goodness, that will never happen again."

I was so wrong; today, we dropped from 3rd to 5th, and in the next week, three teams are poised to pass us (West Brom, Norwich, Luton and/or Millwall). And, we are yet to add a player in this window. 
Discouraging. 

Tomasson was short of players today- Brereton, Britain, both Wharton's, Buckley, etc- which is an issue Broughton needs to address. So far, I'm definitely more a jdt supporter than I am of Broughton. 

There's no way they can look at our team, and say, "here are 17 1st-teamers we can depend upon." The academy youth are diamonds in the rough (or rhinestones). 
We simply need better players who can win, right now. 

Edited by WacoRover
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

As an ex player, and with the championship being one of the toughest leagues in the world, I can't fathom how he thinks playing 19 year olds week in week out in the most physical positions (CM/CD) is the correct thing to do.  Today, Ollie Rathbone bossed the only game he'll boss all season, up against young lads not long left school.

The manager is to blame for this.  If this isn't addressed with a coherent relationship between JDT and GB they can both fuck off.

What option do they have other than playing 19yrs olds week in week out?

The owners have decimated the squad, we have no money?

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Gav said:

What option do they have other than playing 19yrs olds week in week out?

The owners have decimated the squad, we have no money?

They decided not to bring in any experience,  Greggy and his connections...piss poor and I've been saying it for ages...kids in the middle 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Forget the original fee, it’s irrelevant in todays market. 

Let’s say we get £1m for Gally, do you think the current regime can replace him with a 15 goal a season man on £15k a week?

That is what you’re asking for?  We need to strengthen in other areas for me, midfield being one.

No it isn't what i'm asking for did i say that ?  Since when had he been a 15 goal a year striker ?

You fell down the rabbit hole of holding him up as a beacon of a good player because he runs around a lot - sometimes. That is a minimum requirement for any player, Jack Vale runs around a lot poaches the odd goal, defends from the front when asked and costs about 3 grand a week probably.

Replacing Gallagher like for like for not much would be a piece of piss for somebody who knows what they are doing.  Replacing Gallagher the big athletic striker who scores 10 plus a season for nothing wouldn't be so easy.

But he isn't that Gallagher really is he and smart people would cash in those chips if possible even if it meant putting the money towards keeping BBD. This is what Directors of Football are for and this is how you rebuild squads with the minimum of disruption.

Far less disruption than losing Brereton or Dack in this case, Gally is a saleable asset albeit a much reduced in value one and 15 grand a week is a lot to free up.

Think about it logically, i hope Broughton and JDT are.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

They decided not to bring in any experience,  Greggy and his connections...piss poor and I've been saying it for ages...kids in the middle 

Travis is 25?

Buckley 24?

Hardly kids.

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

I’ve seen enough of Morton now. No doubt will have a good career but not as a battling ball winner who can protect our box that we so desperately need. I like Garrett and think he’ll make it but he shouldn’t be playing every week yet. Pickering is league one, Gallagher too can only be a signing away from oblivion. That’s Vale’s 3rd (?) league start and he’s been invisible in all of them - can’t be persevering with that. Subs bench at best.

I still remain convinced that our manager is unbending for a reason: to convince everyone above him there’s far more deadwood than they thought, skill wise and heart wise.

I've made my mind up on Morton now also. As you say he's a decentish player who will go on to have a reasonable career.

But if you listen to his interviews and watch the way he plays, he's not that bothered whether we win or lose. He's here to get mins in his legs, he doesn't fully commit. He's just waiting to get back to Liverpool where he won't get a game.

It's not even that he's on loan. Look at how committed Van Hecke was last year, as long as they throw themselves into it then it can be mutually beneficial.

Saying that I still think he's in our strongest 11. I think he needs a rocket up arse and dropping him for a few might help in thay regard.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Forget the original fee, it’s irrelevant in todays market. 

Let’s say we get £1m for Gally, do you think the current regime can replace him with a 15 goal a season man on £15k a week?

That is what you’re asking for?  We need to strengthen in other areas for me, midfield being one.

Who scores the goals from this midfield maestro?

4 hours ago, J*B said:

I agree - and I’m equally as crushed. People might think the plan is insanity, but it looks clear as day to me. They’re plugging gaps, developing the younger players and planning for 3 years down the line. 

Its always 3 years down the line. I don't believe there is a plan. We just exist.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Travis is 25?

Buckley 24?

Hardly kids.

Problem is that at every level that there is a raft of inexperience in the team. Do it on the cheap is  our motto. 

The two you mentioned are our senior pros in midfield. Not kids but hardly experienced seasoned pros. 

And of that in his development up until the last year (half way through TMs last season) Buckley has played in most positions on the pitch. Hardly going to help him master a position, nor will the lack of a seasoned vet in cm alongside them to help them learn. 

Then there's the squad fillers. Vale should be nowhere near the squad full stop, Garrett should be getting weekly games on loan, our lack of defenders is always covered by youth - and especially at cb we see how important experience is. 

Add to the illogicality we add Morton and develop him even though he's not ours nor streets ahead in quality to what we have, we let youth assets go on the cheap (Raya) or free (Lenihan). My word we can't even do cheap right! 

It was once said you can't win anything with kids, Alan Hansen on manure. Thing was there was still a ton of quality and experience around them. Sure they were talented but everything around then was set up to succeed. We throw the kids in with no support wharsoever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

The plan hasn't changed since the day they bought the club.

Middle of the Championship losing between 10 and 20 million a year.

A tax write off.

Given even more food for thought by their willingness to let assets leave for nothing and leave us needing their money.  Whilst never seeming bothered about the Prem and its trillions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Given even more food for thought by their willingness to let assets leave for nothing and leave us needing their money.  Whilst never seeming bothered about the Prem and its trillions.

They aren't assets.  They've had their book value written down over 3 years.  On the books they are worthless, just a cost with wages and hassle l...assets are training centres which they are trying to flog for houses

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1