BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Rotherham United (a) - 14/1/23 k/o 12:30pm

The next four games present a massive opportunity. Rotherham, Bristol City, Blackpool and Wigan back to back is as kind a run as you get you're going to get in this league. 

Rovers being Rovers, we can't be counting our chickens too early. But if we have realistic play off aspirations, we should really be looking to pick up a good points return, hopefully starting on Saturday. 

• Like 8

Kaminski

JRC Hyam Ayala Pickering

Morton Garrett 

Markanday.      Dack            Diaz

Vale/Gally

Tough game, & with the 2 game win streak and everyone on a mini high and think we will be brought back down to reality.

2-1 Rotherham with a decent away following.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

We've tended to win games against struggling teams with JDT, so hopeful we will continue that trend. I imagine Hedges will come back in, and Gally should be fit. So..

Kaminski

JRC Hyam Ayala Pickering

Morton Garrett 

Hedges      Dack            Diaz

Gally

Pretty good team that... Front four all offer a goal threat, maybe the best pair of CBs in the league and top keeper. While not ideal full backs have improved a lot last six games or so..  And centre mids get a lot of flack but I think theyre pretty good and improving.

We really should win this one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

We've tended to win games against struggling teams with JDT, so hopeful we will continue that trend. I imagine Hedges will come back in, and Gally should be fit. So..

Kaminski

JRC Hyam Ayala Pickering

Morton Garrett 

Hedges      Dack            Diaz

Gally

Pretty good team that... Front four all offer a goal threat, maybe the best pair of CBs in the league and top keeper. While not ideal full backs have improved a lot last six games or so..  And centre mids get a lot of flack but I think theyre pretty good and improving.

We really should win this one.

Big disappointment if we don't. The pack will get even closer. A must-win. I still prefer 3 in midfield and would go for Travis. Not thrilled by him this season but can't see an alternative. I'd probably drop Hedges but bring him or Wharton A  on depending how the game is going. Probably for Gally the way he's been going.

Massive game to set the tone for the rest of the season. Being the early game, a win would not only give us a 6 point gap over the next 3 teams, it would also close the gap to Sheff Utd to 6 points, then sit back and see what happens. 

Have to win this one. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 47er said:

Big disappointment if we don't. The pack will get even closer. A must-win. I still prefer 3 in midfield and would go for Travis. Not thrilled by him this season but can't see an alternative. I'd probably drop Hedges but bring him or Wharton A  on depending how the game is going. Probably for Gally the way he's been going.

Dack I think has massively improved in terms of his pressing and dropping into support the centre mids. I expect us to dominate midfield in this one.

Cant agree on Travis, he so far off it at the moment and easily our worst performer on the weekend. Id be really surprised if he starts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

The next four games present a massive opportunity. Rotherham, Bristol City, Blackpool and Wigan back to back is as kind a run as you get you're going to get in this league. 

Rovers being Rovers, we can't be counting our chickens too early. But if we have realistic play off aspirations, we should really be looking to pick up a good points return, hopefully starting on Saturday. 

The Blackpool game's been postponed to make way for the FA Cup tie, which is also an important & v winnable game but nonetheless offers a bit of a welcome distraction to what will otherwise be a bit of a long slog of pressure-filled league matches.

11 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Wigan are a bit of a bogey side, they always seem to pull their tripe out against us and we’ve been poor in local derbies so I don’t think that will be easy. 

• Like 1

We never win at Rotherham you say, so lets keep that in mind and give it 200% Saturday. If we can beat teams like Watford, Norwich etc we should be able to beat Rotherham. I went to the home fixture earlier in the season, Rovers were comfortable winners 3-0 if I remember rightly. It wont be easy Rotherham are fighting for their Championship lives. Lets focus and get the job done.

Edited by RoversTilliDie

29 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Wigan are a bit of a bogey side, they always seem to pull their tripe out against us and we’ve been poor in local derbies so I don’t think that will be easy. 

I have been to the last couple of Wigan games at Ewood before they were relegated, Rovers won comfortably. Lets keep it fortress Ewood and win these games.

10 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

We never win at Rotherham you say, so lets keep that in mind and give it 200% Saturday. If we can beat teams like Watford, Norwich etc we should be able to beat Rotherham. I went to the home fixture earlier in the season, Rovers were comfortable winners 3-0 if I remember rightly. It wont be easy Rotherham are fighting for their Championship lives. Lets focus and get the job done.

If we bring our “ A “ game to this match we should win. It’s up to JDT to ensure 1) The team selection is correct. 2) The tactics are correct.

• Like 2

Rotheram have won just 1 of their last 12 league games, with 8 losses and 3 draws. They have also just received a 4-1 tanking from Ipswich in the cup.

If we are genuine promotion candidates, then we should have no issue capitalising on their awful form. I'm sure they will be hungry for a result, but realistically their squad just isn't quite 'Championship standard' IMO.

In theory, we should given them a hiding - but in typical Rovers fashion, we'll probably make this wayyy harder for ourselves than it should be.

That being said, i'm going to predict a nervy 1-0 win here!

• Like 1

Our record against Wigan is OK at Ewood, it's the games at their place that we don't usually turn up for and crumble. If we can't be confident of beating them at home with our home record and their recent results we might as well give up.

I'm most worried about the Bristol City one because we've found wins at Ashton Gate hard to come by and they've had a good run against us recently, but I saw yesterday that they are winless in 8 at home. Again we have to be going there for a win but I'd probably take a draw (we have to have one eventually).

Watford away is looming and that will of course be tough, so it would be nice to have a good chunk of points on them going into that one.

Rotherham ought to be a different animal to years gone by with a different manager who after a brief honeymoon seems to be struggling. Fundamentally they aren't a good side although they will be battling but we should be disappointed with anything less than 3 points.

• Like 1

image.png.b87b1fd290d90d5f464d69a116a58832.png

6 points from their last 12 games, conceding 26 goals in the process (2.17 per game). 

Rovers are still odds against to win! It would be great to go into the 3pm matches with 3 points and a 6 point cushion.

Unbelievably, we have actually lose more matches this season than Rotherham (12 vs 11)!

As others have said, next 4 games are all bottom 6 clubs (dependent when Blackpool is rescheduled too). A massive month for us, lets hope it's not like a Mowbray New Year!

As per every Rovers game, the chances of a win or loss sits at around 50% each. It's anyone's guess who wins this game, but I bet we get 6 points from the next 4 games.

It's simple really if we get at them on the front foot and try to dominate the middle we'll score first and probably win. If we sit back or allow them to press us high whilst losing the middle of the park they'll beat us by 2 or 3 goals.

Mix up the football, press and counter and we're in with a 60/40 chance of winning, sit deep play about at the back at snails pace and invite them on the odds are 70/30 the other way.

Rotherham   1    Rovers  2  

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

As per every Rovers game, the chances of a win or loss sits at around 50% each. It's anyone's guess who wins this game, but I bet we get 6 points from the next 4 games.

That would be a disappointing haul from 4 of the bottom 6 teams. 1.5 points a game doesn't get you top 6 over a whole season, let alone against the weakest teams in the league. 8 points minimum ideally and head into Watford on 50 (dependent on when Blackpool is rearranged) 

6 hours ago, superniko said:

That would be a disappointing haul from 4 of the bottom 6 teams. 1.5 points a game doesn't get you top 6 over a whole season, let alone against the weakest teams in the league. 8 points minimum ideally and head into Watford on 50 (dependent on when Blackpool is rearranged) 

Absolutely, if we have any aspirations to get promotion I would like to believe we could win all four of those games but we also have to take into account the fact that JDT does seem to think that we care ready for promotion. 
I also think we stand more chance playing these teams at this stage rather than at the seasons end where “Fighting for their lives” has much more significance.