BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield (a) 10/4/23 @ 12.30pm

Mixed emotions there. So poor to be trailing by 2 at half time having played pretty well, and a phenomenal effort to get a point in the end. We needed some of that attacking intensity in the last few games.

I’ve hammered Morton for most of this season but he was actually good in the second half when he had little to do defensively, tons of space and practically every player in front of him. Wharton was excellent but looked tired by the end. Carter and Hyam were both shocking in the first half but looked rock solid second. JRC is our best defender, midfielder and forward at the moment.

The big frustration is that we are now looking over our shoulders, and while we are still in the mix we should be comfortably sitting in the playoff spots.

• Like 4

No, a point isn’t good enough, but I take it. We’re still in the playoff hunt, and our guys never gave up today. Surely, Leonard has earned more time, JR-C is valuable to this team. Szmodics did everything but finish. 

I am well pleased with the overall effort. 

• Like 1

The referee was an absolute disgrace. 5 minutes was a joke anyway and he couldn't wait to blow his whistle.

Morton was miles better second half, but I thought JRC and Szmodics stood out. Both work harder than anyone I've seen and were winning 50-50s galore. 

• Like 4

Good comeback, JDT got his subs right this time. JRC operating more in the middle for the 2nd half was a great move as he caused absolute chaos for Huddersfield. I'd like to see him in that position against Hull with Brittain coming in at right back.

Shocking to go 2 nil down against a poor Huddersfield team after dominating the game. The team generally played fine except for the two soft goals they conceded.

Hopefully it will be a confidence boost to the group that they can in fact come back to get something out of a game.

Although he went off, I do think we're a much better team with Dolan and Szmodics together as it makes our forward play much more mobile and flexible. Leonard looks a decent prospect as well, seemed to adjust to the pace of the game quite quickly and showed good instincts on a couple of occasions. Hopefully he gets more chances between now and the end of the season.

With all that being said, it is definitely 2 points dropped when you look at the game as a whole. We totally dominated and Huddersfield never really had a spell in the game despite somehow ending up with 2 goals. Warnock has worked wonders to get them out of the bottom 3.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, WacoRover said:

No, a point isn’t good enough, but I take it. We’re still in the playoff hunt, and our guys never gave up today. Surely, Leonard has earned more time, JR-C is valuable to this team. Szmodics did everything but finish. 

I am well pleased with the overall effort. 

I'd start Leonard next week - his movement was good and he ran down a few lost causes. 

• Like 3

JRC was incredible. He's wasted at right back. Would like to see him played in the middle of the park, especially given we have a serviceable replacement in Brittain. He's popping up in all areas of the pitch anyway. Gets stuck in, runs all day, has a great long ball in him and good instincts in the final third. Has all the makings of a quality CM.

I thought the 3 man midfield worked well, albeit against a very ordinary opponent. We were dominant there, the problems were at either end and here and there in transition. Wharton needs to be getting more minutes, was a bit off the pace but for a guy who's played 20 minutes of football this year he did very well. 

Would love to see more of Leonard. Didn't get a ton of ball but he did very well with his chance. Body positioned well, nice touch and got plenty of power despite limited time/room. 

That has to be it for Pears. Not sure I'd peg the second on him but the first was an awful bit of work. Not on when a guy like Kaminski is on the bench.

Disappointing result given the flow of the game, but some very good signs given how we'd been playing previously.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, superniko said:

Yes, similar to Blackpool away (against a similarly shite team). 
Have to say Morton’s best game for a while.

Amazed it was only 5 added on then blown bang on 5 too. 

Don’t think we should be starting Diaz anymore - I’d have JRC and Thomas on the wings next week. JRC easy MOTM - created everything for us. 

Also - thought Szmodics was very good again!

agreed. same line up but drop BBD and start Thomas. 
Leonard looked good, probably needs more time and more mins from bench before he is ready for a full game

3 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Superb performance second half and unlucky not to get the win, just got to hope that is the catalyst for a winning end to the season.

If we continue to play like that we can still get top 6 as long as we can convert in front of goal. Yes, it's a big if but surely someone can step up.

For me I'd be surprised of we make it now. Weve got a series of games against better sides than Huddersfield and as good as we are going forward we look very brittle at the back and struggle to covert. To get the points we need we need to not concede but it feels like every game we will give the opposition goals and continue to make hard work of finishing the many opportunities we make.

• Like 2

Just now, ageoftherover said:

JRC was incredible. He's wasted at right back. Would like to see him played in the middle of the park, especially given we have a serviceable replacement in Brittain. He's popping up in all areas of the pitch anyway. Gets stuck in, runs all day, has a great long ball in him and good instincts in the final third. Has all the makings of a quality CM.

I thought the 3 man midfield worked well, albeit against a very ordinary opponent. We were dominant there, the problems were at either end and here and there in transition. Wharton needs to be getting more minutes, was a bit off the pace but for a guy who's played 20 minutes of football this year he did very well. 

Would love to see more of Leonard. Didn't get a ton of ball but he did very well with his chance. Body positioned well, nice touch and got plenty of power despite limited time/room. 

That has to be it for Pears. Not sure I'd peg the second on him but the first was an awful bit of work. Not on when a guy like Kaminski is on the bench.

Disappointing result given the flow of the game, but some very good signs given how we'd been playing previously.

only thing about TK Vs Pears... can TK play with the ball at his feet? sometimes Pears drifted so far out he was like CB, not sure TK would behave the same way, seems like JDTs style is passing from back etc..

People need to look at the bigger picture. To be 2-0 down and to salvage a point tells me this team is fighting. If we lost today our heads would dropped and for me it’s told me the team has given up. 

We’ve got a lot of games against teams around us and if we play like we did in that 2nd half, we will beat anyone…

• Like 5

Looking at their goals again, maybe slightly harsh on Pears today.

It was an easy take until Morton got that touch and diverted it away from him, making it difficult to react.

2nd goal more down to Carter than Pears again.

Having said that , thinks it's time for TK to return 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Well we haven't won, so that's not entirely surprising...

What? That it feels like a defeat?

Im just explaining why a point is, err, pointless.

Edited by Hasta