BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich (h) - Good Friday - 7/4/23, 3pm k/o

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But he has played them. He could have played Pickering at centre back with Edun at left back but didn't. He picked Phillips. 

On Wharton, I don't think its about fancied him but that JDT hasn't been happy with his attitude or training so he has been dropped. I'm sure you seen posts from a couple of posters outlining the reasons why JDT has dropped him. So I don't know why you think that

At Sheffield United he played Pickering and Phillips beside Ayala so he clearly wasnt totally sold on just sticking Phillips in. But if the alternative is Edun who is awful at left back and Pickering who is a small full back at centre back then it is hardly a viable alternative. As I said, it has often been down to necessity when those players have played. I doubt Phillips and Vale would have played much had Ayala/Wharton and to a lesser extent Hyam had picked up injuries, or if Broughton had actually signed a competent striker. It's not a criticism, but equally I don't think it has been down to bravery.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You have to put in quality balls in the box not just put the ball in. Would like to see midfielder or full back getting in the box also cos sometimes its 2 or 3 players in the box. 

When the full game is up on rovers website I’ll find the two balls which were played in that frustrated me. One went across goal and one was cut out by the keeper centrally when a striker running across him would have got in at the near post. On both occasions Gallagher was on his heels.

It’s not the quality of the balls, it’s the movement. As I said, it’s no coincidence that Dack had two chances from within 12 yards and he had only been on the pitch for 10 minutes. Gallagher just doesn’t have that instinct.

You are right on the second point. If we are to play Gally, we need somebody else to get in the box and help him out, and that’s why I said I’d play Dack instead of Szmodics. Very harsh on Szmodics but it’s difficult but unless you play Brereton up top (which we won’t), then I think you’ve got to add the threat of Dack.

Id love us to try Brereton up front with Dolan and Thomas wide and Szmodics behind, but I just don’t think he will.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

How are people backing Gallagher. 

He's got zero eye for goal, I bet his heading win rate is between 10% and 35% baring in mind he's 6"3+.

He's rarely making goal scoring runs into the box either.

Dolan up top for me…if we want goals, then Gally isn’t the answer I’m afraid.

• Like 2

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

I would be inclined to agree.

But when Arma was injured Dolan played up top as a lone striker and was fantastic in the 2 or so games he played there.

I remember one was Millwall away and whilst his energy was there, even then he didn't offer a goal threat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

At Sheffield United he played Pickering and Phillips beside Ayala so he clearly wasnt totally sold on just sticking Phillips in. But if the alternative is Edun who is awful at left back and Pickering who is a small full back at centre back then it is hardly a viable alternative. As I said, it has often been down to necessity when those players have played. I doubt Phillips and Vale would have played much had Ayala/Wharton and to a lesser extent Hyam had picked up injuries, or if Broughton had actually signed a competent striker. It's not a criticism, but equally I don't think it has been down to bravery.

I was talking about when JDT picked Ash Phillips in the 3rd game of the season along side Ayala against WBA. 

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

When the full game is up on rovers website I’ll find the two balls which were played in that frustrated me. One went across goal and one was cut out by the keeper centrally when a striker running across him would have got in at the near post. On both occasions Gallagher was on his heels.

It’s not the quality of the balls, it’s the movement. As I said, it’s no coincidence that Dack had two chances from within 12 yards and he had only been on the pitch for 10 minutes. Gallagher just doesn’t have that instinct.

fair enough, I look forward to seeing them

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

You are right on the second point. If we are to play Gally, we need somebody else to get in the box and help him out, and that’s why I said I’d play Dack instead of Szmodics. Very harsh on Szmodics but it’s difficult but unless you play Brereton up top (which we won’t), then I think you’ve got to add the threat of Dack.

Id love us to try Brereton up front with Dolan and Thomas wide and Szmodics behind, but I just don’t think he will.

I prefer Szmodics at the minute cos of his energy and work rate. 

Brereton's goals and strength is playing from the left and cutting in. Why can't Travis or Garrett break into the box or Thomas/Hedges coming in attacking the back post or one of the full backs. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Dolan is so less effective up top than out wide fronting up full backs. Surely Brereton central is the best bet.

Dolan is great at pressing from the front and that's his strengths. His performance against Norwich was as pressing forward

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I was talking about when JDT picked Ash Phillips in the 3rd game of the season along side Ayala against WBA. 

fair enough, I look forward to seeing them

I prefer Szmodics at the minute cos of his energy and work rate. 

Brereton's goals and strength is playing from the left and cutting in. Why can't Travis or Garrett break into the box or Thomas/Hedges coming in attacking the back post or one of the full backs. 

Dolan is great at pressing from the front and that's his strengths. His performance against Norwich was as pressing forward

He is best running at full backs 1 on 1. He doesn't offer much of a goal threat and lacks the ability to get into goalscoring positions. 

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He is best running at full backs 1 on 1. He doesn't offer much of a goal threat and lacks the ability to get into goalscoring positions. 

Dolan can play the 9 role when we want to pressed teams. Norwich at home would be one. 

Yet you want to move BBD from his left side position to a number 9 when he scores goals from and where he wants to play

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

Dack has to be brought into games far earlier than yesterday's 81st minute (30 minutes of Dack almost guarantees you a goal and/or an assist).

By that logic, 90 minutes of Dack almost guarantees you three goals and/or assists. Which is obviously horseshit.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You have to put in quality balls in the box not just put the ball in. Would like to see midfielder or full back getting in the box also cos sometimes its 2 or 3 players in the box. 

JDT has been brave since taking the job and playing Vale, Phillips, Garrett and Wharton in games where other head coaches would take the safe option

There were some quality deliveries yesterday and he basically ducked out of any challenge to get the ball. I'm pretty sure in the summer if we buy a decent forward you will change your tune like you do all the time and say Gallagher was the problem 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Sorry but no, you're completely incorrect to call that backheel flukey. You can see on the replay that he's looking out the corner for the runner, he didn't just back heel and hope. It was a moment of class. I don't know where he pulled it from and why it's so rare from him, but it was. Might be the best assist we've produced all season. Dack does that and you'd praise it to the heavens.

It doesn't change his weaknesses to admit he had a moment of excellence.

I praised him for the goal he set up against Leicester.  Doing something magical once in a blue moon isn't good enough 

L

12 hours ago, Mercer said:

This is a MUST win game.

In fact, given our last 5 fixtures, I think we need a minimum of 7 points from the Norwich, Huddersfield and Hull games.  I think Huddersfield will be the most difficult of the 3 games as Warnock has proved the catalyst for their mini revival and no one will fancy going to Huddersfield.

I think we need a further 14 or even 15 points as there's always one team who makes a charge - take your pick from Norwich, Coventry, WBA and even PNE and three of our last eight games are against those teams with games against Burnley, Luton and Millwall thrown in for good measure.

It will be tough but I remain confident PROVIDING JDT gets his team selections right.  I don't want to see Morton starting another game for Rovers, whatever sh1t has been going on with Adam Wharton needs resolving NOW (as I believe he could be the difference in making the play-offs or not - it's clear as day midfield is our achilles heel) and Dack has to be brought into games far earlier than yesterday's 81st minute (30 minutes of Dack almost guarantees you a goal and/or an assist).

For what it's worth, they're almost all Must-win games now, @Mercer .

When there were 9 games to go, I started a little "Predictions sheet", featuring the teams then in 2nd (Sheffield United) - 9th (West Bromwich Albion). Quite apart from showing what a rotten tipster I am, it shows that Luton Town are on a roll.

Their last four games have ended: 1-0, 1-0, 1-0 and 2-0. That run includes Sheffield United (A) and Watford (H). That's 9 points more than I predicted they'd get.

Meanwhile Norwich City, with a record of 0-1, 1-1, 0-0, and 0-1, have got 5 points fewer than I thought they would. They seem an unpredictable team and as we've already had their measure this season, I'd be happy with a 1-0 win on Friday.

Because our goal difference is so poor, I'd be happier still with a bigger win, but first things first and three more points in the bag.

image.png.1ad79c4cf7fb7243765b7ba857e0fdbf.png

I'd go with this personally. Dacky up top, but have him and Szmodics quite fluid and switching when it suits.

Have Szmods further up when out of possession, utilising his high energy and pressing. Then have Dacky in and around the box as much as possible when on the front foot. In any case, i'd feel way more comfortable with either of Dack/Smodz in a 1v1 than I would Gally, he just can't be relied on for goals at this stage.

Would start Sorba too, we can't play him next Monday so it's worth keeping Hedges fit and ready for that game with Hudds. Besides, Sorba has been decent for the most part - let's give him the benefit of the doubt! He makes a big difference when he's playing well.

Adam Wharton for Morton too, because i'd honestly rather JDT field himself than see Morton out there again - the lad has good potential but he's holding us back right now. Wharton is clearly better anyway, we need to get his 'situation' resolved pronto - we've a potential future England player there ffs!

Praying for +3 in this game, COYB

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 2

OYB! JFDI!

Death or glory boys, death or glory...

PS I may be an ageing gimmer, but I'm not ready for the former, and have a ready appetite for the latter.

COYB! JFDI!

17 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

How are people backing Gallagher. 

He's got zero eye for goal, I bet his heading win rate is between 10% and 35% baring in mind he's 6"3+.

He's rarely making goal scoring runs into the box either.

Gallagher is okay if you are playing deep and you want someone to pick up the ball and run with it and press the opposition back line. He is absolutely hopeless though if the opposition sits back and space is a premium (like Brum on Saturday).

I don't think JDT really rates him either reading between the lines, but literally we have no one else at the moment.

However there is a plus is that Norwich won't want to sit deep so I can see Gallagher having a better game as it will suit him more.

Out of the options we have I would still start Gallagher btw, as I can't see anyone else being better. We can play Dack up top but then we lose our press which is absolutely critical, play Dolan and he is not a box player, play Brereton Diaz and he wants to be outside coming in on his right foot.

I suppose maybe it will be worth starting Dolan wide left and BBD up front to give it a go. But I bet my bottom dollar BBD will spend most of his time in the left channel making triangles with Dolan and Pickering rather than in the box. At least Gallagher has improved on that front recently, and spends more of his time in the 18 yards than on the right wing.

Our lack of striker options are a joke. A decent centre forward and we would have playoffs in the bag.

Final run in for play offs we don’t want morton starting, he’s no better than garret and Wharton and those two are our own, morton does not have the physical or mental strength to deal with this decisive period so I don’t wanna see the powder puff in the staring 11, he could very well cost us altogether. Preston, dingles, Luton, millwall final 4 games alone we need battlers not a couldn't care less soft ass from Liverpool reserves 

kaminski 

JRC 

Carter

hyam 

pickering 

travis 

garret 

hedges 

dack 

BBD

Gallagher 

• Like 2