BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

47 minutes ago, Hasta said:

How do we know that’s down to how JDT has developed him? He was outstanding in most of his games pre World Cup. He then didn’t play till April and has come back playing equally as well.  

No one is saying he should have played every week and been burned out. But in some games he surely would have been beneficial to have come on for 45 minutes here and there, especially as we all generally agree that Morton has had to play far more football this season than he was probably expected to. 

Wasn't even on the bench for the quarters

I'm regret posting that fans who reckon he should have played every game as "armchair supporters" earlier, I just get frustrated at people using it as a stick to to beat JDT with, I wanted him to play more too, but it's a hypothetical situation, who knows what went on, maybe he did need a word and him being out of the team sorted him out. His interview in the past week is an interesting watch. 

JDT recognises his ability, but AW is a unique position where he's a fan and an academy graduate, he needs to be phased in carefully - otherwise he's almost playing with no pressure he can do no wrong in the fans eyes. 

The real frustration is that the only reason I think Morton was picked ahead of him was down to fitness, he could last a full game compared to others, OR some contract issue. 

Couldn't see from where I was sat so have had to rewatch, the tackles on him by Cork and Brownhill last night were both proper nasty, and indicative of AW's class and growing stature - love watching him laugh on the floor as Brownhill goes through him. All they could was to kick him. At times, think there was one moment where he sent two of them out of the ground with a drop of the shoulder, one of them bouncing off him, had everyone on their feet, he's only going to get stronger next season.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Groundhog said:

The real frustration is that the only reason I think Morton was picked ahead of him was down to fitness, he could last a full game compared to others, OR some contract issue.

GB has stated on a podcast that Morton was brought in to bridge the gap between the u23 squad and the first team. I remember hearing this and it did surprise me. It’s not like Morton has been a Harvey Elliott type signing. I’ve not been as critical as some people on Morton as he’s been an average. But I understand that if Wharton made those mistakes it’s ‘tolerable’ as he’s actually our player.

If last season Van Hecke was making errors or playing average and we had Scott Wharton on the bench I feel the conversation would be similar.

• Like 1

The issue is not whether Wharton was "ready"..the issue is whether Morton deserved his place over him..all the while we are developing him for Liverpool...pure madness and if there was a clause involved it should be told to us so it makes sense and absolves JDT for a terrible decision...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Groundhog said:

I'm regret posting that fans who reckon he should have played every game as "armchair supporters" earlier, I just get frustrated at people using it as a stick to to beat JDT with, I wanted him to play more too, but it's a hypothetical situation, who knows what went on, maybe he did need a word and him being out of the team sorted him out. His interview in the past week is an interesting watch. 

JDT recognises his ability, but AW is a unique position where he's a fan and an academy graduate, he needs to be phased in carefully - otherwise he's almost playing with no pressure he can do no wrong in the fans eyes. 

Couldn't see from where I was sat so have had to rewatch, the tackles on him by Cork and Brownhill last night were both proper nasty, and indicative of AW's class and growing stature - love watching him laugh on the floor as Brownhill goes through him. All they could was to kick him. At times, think there was one moment where he sent two of them out of the ground with a drop of the shoulder, one of them bouncing off him, had everyone on their feet, he's only going to get stronger next season.

Fair play on admitting you regret it, that's not always easy to say.

For my part, I've in no way been using it as a stick to beat JDT with. I actually like JDT, his warmth is wonderful and as he's our manager I want him to do well for us. Which on the whole, he has. The inevitable slide has been extremely disappointing and I feel he has made numerous tactical errors that contributed to it, but nobody can deny that this season has gone far, far better than most of us expected. And all managers make mistakes. I have my reservations about him, but overall he's a man I have a lot of time for and I'm happy to take him into next season.

However I regard the continued overlooking of Wharton until recently to be a serious mistake, one I do think has cost us a few points (partly because the alternative has often been Morton), and I'm calling it out in it's own right. I try to separate all managerial decisions from each other and from the man making them (although admittedly it became hard to do that at times with Mowbray, who wasn't just inept and stubborn but also began to act with arrogance in the press and almost animosity to the fans). For an example of how I'm happy to praise him, I think the use of JRC in an almost free role has been a master stroke, albeit teams might figure it out in time.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Groundhog said:

Fair pay about the retraction of the comment on armchair supporters.

I have lived abroad for the last 9 years, but subscribe to Rovers TV so that I can get most of the games. That revenue goes to the club, so I am doing my bit, but watching from my armchair. Having been following the club for 50 years though and buying may season tickets, including one for each of my kids, for many years, my love for the club is as strong as most. I do still get back for the odd game too, I am in the UK at the minute.

On Wharton, he is living every supporters dream, so I guess, it is only natural we want to see him play more.

My view, is he could certainly have been used more, even if it was as a sub, bit I do respect that people at the club do have to manage him and be careful about the too much too soon syndrome.

He certainly looks to be the real deal and I look forward to seeing him progress, with great interest. 

I briefly visited the Utter Turds Convicts forum once earlier this season.

The twilight zone is no longer on my visit list as associating with the dregs of humanity, sister shaggers, drugged up fuckwits and those with basement level IQ has no point to it.

15 minutes that I will not get back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I briefly visited the Utter Turds Convicts forum once earlier this season.

The twilight zone is no longer on my visit list as associating with the dregs of humanity, sister shaggers, drugged up fuckwits and those with basement level IQ has no point to it.

15 minuBes that I will not get back.

Bit harsh that! I thought their board was fairly balanced, some objective and balanced posts.  Quite enjoyed having a scan.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Biggest homegrown centre midfield talent since David Dunn, twenty or so years ago, or am I forgetting players? I think John Buckley, on technical ability, is up there but, perhaps, lacks in self-belief, at times, and will hopefully improve. But Wharton seems to have things together at a very young age, albeit, he hasn't played that much this season.

With the right management and a bit of luck, a Wharton, Buckley and A.Nother could be very special indeed. The academy graduates continue to give us a fighting chance, when the club is generally mismanaged.

• Like 6

Wharton in LT:

“The gaffer has a lot of experience in the game and he knows how to get young players into the team and manage their development.  Obviously I think I could have played more but it’s worked out and I think I’ve played well and maybe he has judged it right. I could have played more but maybe not as well as I have.”

If he had chucked the toys out, they are firmly back in the pram! It was all probably bullshit/exaggerated, like most rumours. 

But he's clearly had to get used to JDT's ways:

Wharton has had to get accustomed to Tomasson’s demands every day in training in what is his first year in senior football.

“I think that’s the right way to go about things, especially in the sport that we’re in,” Wharton said.

“It’s very competitive in the Championship so you’ve got to challenge everyone in the team and I think that’s the right way to go about things.

“If you do it day in day out, professionally, to the best of your ability throughout the whole season it becomes a habit and raises the standards of everyone in the team.

“Only good things can come out of that.”

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 8

Once again confirms that all of the 'fallen out with JDT' stuff was bullshit.

Makes you wonder who decided to make that up and what their motives were in doing so.

We'd have all liked to have seen him more this season, but even Adam's admitting himself that JDT's judgement and handling of him was spot-on this season.

Edited by Andy
  • Like 9