BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

44 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Good business there Rovers. Sell our best player for at least half of his actual worth and reinvest absolutely nothing. 

Almost as though they are trying to deliberately get us relegated.....

And to rub salt in, Rovers ceo (well I mean that chap who works for venkys) states we might even make a profif this year. Music to venky's ears because their ownership of Rovers is nothing to do with football.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

And to rub salt in, Rovers ceo (well I mean that chap who works for venkys) states we might even make a profif this year. Music to venky's ears because their ownership of Rovers is nothing to do with football.

Unless there's gambling involved somewhere....

2 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

How in God's name can they not make a significant ie £10m+ profit this season having sold Wharton for £18m and summer sales of £5m?? Anything less than that makes me think there's some nefarious dealings going on. 

• Like 3

On 09/03/2024 at 23:19, alcd said:

How in God's name can they not make a significant ie £10m+ profit this season having sold Wharton for £18m and summer sales of £5m?? Anything less than that makes me think there's some nefarious dealings going on. 

Given that we lose 20 million most seasons (apparently...though I do think this looks suspicious in itself given we constantly slash the wage bill and rarely spend whilst selling a fair few assets), that 23 million, minus about a million spent on acquisitions, would theoretically change the picture to about 2 million profit, not 10 mill plus. Ignoring any loan, signing on and agent fees. When you factor in that the money received from sales won't come all at once and will be drizzled over at least 3 seasons...if the slim possibility of Venkys being refused the right to send us money in this hearing transpires, we will probably end up declaring a loss! Which is sickening.

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Given that we lose 20 million most seasons (apparently...though I do think this looks suspicious in itself given we constantly slash the wage bill and rarely spend whilst selling a fair few assets), that 23 million, minus about a million spent on acquisitions, would theoretically change the picture to about 2 million profit, not 10 mill plus. Ignoring any loan, signing on and agent fees. When you factor in that the money received from sales won't come all at once and will be drizzled over at least 3 seasons...if the slim possibility of Venkys being refused the right to send us money in this hearing transpires, we will probably end up declaring a loss! Which is sickening.

Transfer fees are accounted for based on the total fee payable - in this case c£18m - and the unpaid balance is in debtors on the balance sheet so a loss in this accounting period is inconceivable. The operating loss before transfer income should be no more than £15m. If it is questions need to be asked about some of the non-wage items in the accounts. Particularly what are Venkys taking out as management charges? 

14 minutes ago, alcd said:

Transfer fees are accounted for based on the total fee payable - in this case c£18m - and the unpaid balance is in debtors on the balance sheet so a loss in this accounting period is inconceivable. The operating loss before transfer income should be no more than £15m. If it is questions need to be asked about some of the non-wage items in the accounts. Particularly what are Venkys taking out as management charges? 

Not sure what you mean, the common convention is that transfer fees are amortised in the accounts over the length of the contract.

I've also never heard of Venkys taking anything out of the club as 'management charges' in previous accounts, though I stand to be corrected. That said I do suspect some dodgy accounting has happened, we seem to make losses no matter what according to the accounts.

Edited by bluebruce

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Not sure what you mean, the common convention is that transfer fees are amortised in the accounts over the length of the contract.

I've also never heard of Venkys taking anything out of the club as 'management charges' in previous accounts, though I stand to be corrected. That said I do suspect some dodgy accounting has happened, we seem to make losses no matter what according to the accounts.

That’s for transfer fees spent, not those received. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

No, the purchaser amortises the expenditure over the length of the contract. The vendors profit is taken in the year of sale and is calculated as the difference between the entire proceeds and the written down cost of the amortised asset. In the case of Wharton that's a £18m profit in this seasons accounts. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Not in the England under 21 squad.He should be 

Surprised by that? I thought he was very established at that level and playing well for Palace in the Premier League? Is he injured?

What's funny / depressing is Tyler Morton has ben called up despite playing at Hull and being - as anyone can see - a much inferior player. 

EDIT - just looked it up and Adam has never played for the U-21 - just the U-20... wow. Pretty amazing a player can be sold for £20M+ and not even get a U-21 call up. Shows the strength England has now in the youth teams.  Harvey Elliott despite playing a key role for the team at the top of the table still not made his senior debut yet.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Surprised by that? I thought he was very established at that level and playing well for Palace in the Premier League? Is he injured?

What's funny / depressing is Tyler Morton has ben called up despite playing at Hull and being - as anyone can see - a much inferior player. 

EDIT - just looked it up and Adam has never played for the U-21 - just the U-20... wow. Pretty amazing a player can be sold for £20M+ and not even get a U-21 call up. Shows the strength England has now in the youth teams.  Harvey Elliott despite playing a key role for the team at the top of the table still not made his senior debut yet.

I'm not sure it shows the strength of it though if Morton is being called up before Wharton. Just that whoever is selecting the squad is a total fuckwit.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Harvey Elliott not being called up is as much a criticism of Southgate than it is testament to our strength in depth

Solanke should have had a chance this time around as well

• Like 2

6 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Just shows how biased some of these coaches and scouts are. We aren't respected as a club either because of the shit show we are operating at 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeilInBristol said:

Just shows how biased some of these coaches and scouts are. We aren't respected as a club either because of the shit show we are operating at 

We've never had any respect from any of them.

Fuck em. We've won more league titles than Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham combined. 

Edited by Upside Down
  • Like 9

• Herbie6590 changed the title to Adam Wharton
43 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

I can't get myself to watch Palace's games for the sake of seeing Wharton in action. Not yet anwyay. 

That's the only reason I would watch Palace.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, G Somerset Rover said:

Proof if needed that being recognised at international level is really a load of bollocks. The difference in ability between Morton and Wharton really is night and day yet the former gets a regular spot at that level purely because of his parent club.

That's the way it's always been.

Fuck off England. I love watching that shit team lose, it brings me joy.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, G Somerset Rover said:

Proof if needed that being recognised at international level is really a load of bollocks. The difference in ability between Morton and Wharton really is night and day yet the former gets a regular spot at that level purely because of his parent club.

always has been nepotismic the england set up,there must be dozens of cases where better players hardly got a look in because they did`nt play for any one of the big four (man utd,liverpool,arsenal or spurs)

• Like 2

To be fair to England U21 set-up, Wharton has done ok but Palace have still been struggling, though, there's been a bit of an uptick and Wharton has not been finishing games regularly. I think I remember reading him being hooked around 70-80 minutes past couple of games. And, he has had his dodgy moments, like on his debut when he gave the ball away, I think, for a conceded goal and got called out by Roy Hodgson.

I think he is still settling in and building his fitness and intensity, so - being charitable here - England might be thinking of that, as well as going with tried and tested.

Looking at that England U21 team, it seems mixed, some really promising players and then others, like Stansfield, who, I'm not sure is on the same level. Though, to be fair, he's got a few goals this season in a struggling Brum side.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

always has been nepotismic the england set up,there must be dozens of cases where better players hardly got a look in because they did`nt play for any one of the big four (man utd,liverpool,arsenal or spurs)

'Twas ever thus.

• Like 1