BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry (h) 19/4/23 @ 19:45

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

On bench yesterday but not come on 

Would you start him against PNE? 

Maybe, at least you know he will finish anything that comes into the box. If Dolan can around like a headless chicken and not get close to the ball, I would rather have Dack being lazy and staying on the last man.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I watched the sky sports highlights last night, and it has 2 or 3 replays but I can't really see the handball, definitely not how some people are describing it (catching it). There's a lot going on in the box, very crowded, it obscures the view. Anybody got a replay that shows it clearly?

Did look like he barged Pears over the line, definite foul but the ball was already past him and going in I think.

As I posted earlier on BBC Breakfast news this morning they show the ball clearly with Wilson prodding it with his hand. No doubt in my eyes. Shocking from a professional footballer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Groundhog said:

But JDT isn't telling Thomas to hit a clearance on the Riverside touchline first time on the volley, miss-hitting it, skimming off the bottom of his studs and going out for a Cov throw-in, which they then move 15 yards forward to put us under more pressure...

They were no other options to shore it up. On paper, putting Dolan up front makes total sense, nick the ball and take it into the corner, get them turned around - he didn't make one decent touch.

The short of it is: no one marked the keeper, Diaz turns his back on the ball coming in. Pears didn't come out. That's it for me.

Edit: If every player put in that extra 10% that Szmodics put in last night, we'd have been fine - he clearly wants it, wants the club to do well for himself and the fans. There's that slight extra percentage of determination when it matters that separates the best from the rest. I wanted someone to put their foot through it last night, hold the ball up, win a foul, chase every last cause.

There's barely a tackle in Thomas at the best of times and if you want to stretch the opposition and give them something to think about you don't throw a winger who can't tackle at right back.

Of course there were options across the team it consists of 11 players not just the bench. 

The logical thing to do up top was move BBD into the more central position and Dolan wide. Then he was stretch them and close down in a way Brereton was struggling to do and JDT was on at him all second half...or as should have happened hooked the fooker off.

You said it yourself we constantly invite pressure on and central to that has often been Tomassons use of subs and change of shape.

Agree on Sammie and their goal it should have been cleared by someone or commanded by the keeper even if he had to deck theirs just get in the way of the guy. It's obvious when a keeper comes up he's just there to launch himself at the incoming ball.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Stop punishing yourselves, the ref gave it, it's gone.

Good point rigger. Even without him seeing the handball his overall performance was that bad at Ewood last night I don't want to see him referring a game again. Pathetic is an understatement.

Rant over.

4 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Where is that team that destroyed Leicester until Jdt reverted to trying to see the game out that nearly cost us.

id struggle to tell you the last time I got to enjoy a rovers performance 

Leicester away and the performance, if not the result, at Huddersfield 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

He would have been running on empty but I am sure he would have managed another 5 / 10 minutes. His ball retention and finding space might have been the difference.

I would have been tempted to flood midfield to take some of the pressure, not strip out the best player. The time to find out if you are running on empty is in the changing room after the final whistle.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Where is that team that destroyed Leicester until Jdt reverted to trying to see the game out that nearly cost us.

I actually enjoyed last nights performance all that was missing was a second goal but the way it ended has clouded everything again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, renrag said:

I don’t go to night games anymore, so only watched on Sky. It never crossed my mind that he wouldn’t have comfortably seen the game out. His pace and movement, from the first minute, was consistent throughout and didn’t appear to flag at any time. 

Senseless substitution just to give Morton an appearance stat.

I think JDTs silent partner has a big say in all substitutions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Parts of the performance were enjoyable to watch however you just know something will go wrong. Bad subs. Bad formation. Sitting deep and allowing pressure to build. It's almost as obvious as Diaz cutting inside.. it's so predictable 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I watched the sky sports highlights last night, and it has 2 or 3 replays but I can't really see the handball, definitely not how some people are describing it (catching it). There's a lot going on in the box, very crowded, it obscures the view. Anybody got a replay that shows it clearly?

Did look like he barged Pears over the line, definite foul but the ball was already past him and going in I think.

He didn't catch it, he flapped at it and pushed it forwards towards goal. I got that from Sky Sports too and its absolutely clear to me! Don't know what else I can say! And he definitely fouled Pears before the ball crossed the line. Ergo.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Penwortham Blue said:

The worry is that although in control, we didn’t create many chances or work the keeper.

Right about the keeper although i don't recall Pears having much to do until the end. As others have mentioned though we are ridiculously shot shy we did get into some great positions but nobody pulled the trigger they stop and look for a pass or make the wrong pass.

Trying to score perfect goals at the end of bouts of possession yet when we do score it tends to be the end of a good quick.move from back to front. 

The over cooking it in forward positions was the most frustrating thing and the source of numerous Coventry counter attacks but fortunately our winning the ball back was in the most part the best it's been for a while.

3 hours ago, renrag said:

I don’t go to night games anymore, so only watched on Sky. It never crossed my mind that he wouldn’t have comfortably seen the game out. His pace and movement, from the first minute, was consistent throughout and didn’t appear to flag at any time. 

From a distance up in the JW he did look to me like he was tiring badly and maybe would have cramped up.  I don't think it was a forced sub at all though and as we know JDT is all too eager to throw the other lad on.

Problem is they are such different players and A Wharton was at the heart of everything that was good last night so inevitably it backfired.  Pity Garret wasn't on the bench he'd have been more suited to seeing it out last night.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CD_93 said:

JDT was, rather animatedly, urging his team up the pitch in the latter stage of the game and they seemingly just... didn't.

Yes you could see telling the players to get up the pitch. They pressed us back and got the goal

12 hours ago, blue_n_white99 said:

Statistically what you say is correct, but we've won 1 game in our last  7, can barely score and are playing sides who are hitting form at the right time whilst we have declined dramatically. Current form would suggest we miss out.

Plenty of more twists and turns to come yet. 

11 hours ago, JHRover said:

This summer is going to be similar to previous. The owners aren't interested and aren't investing other than to cover existing costs meaning we are heavily restricted as to our transfer capabilities.

Tomasson will know what he wants and what is needed, unfortunately he won't get it unless they drastically alter their approach.

Even if we miss out we should be looking forward with optimism having had a good season, with I think a good manager gearing up for a proper crack at things having settled into the role and a quite young squad a year wiser. But anticipate it will be more of the same - scratching around for cheap loans like Mola and Hirst or Liverpool's latest option who they want game time for.

Perhaps a couple of Hibs/Aberdeen or League One players.

Lets remember that this is the way some people - fully paid up members of the FFP club and we can't do anything else - say it needs to be

Haven't we already agreed next season if we are the PL or Championship next season given GB and JDT recent comments? 

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Again, 4 blocked shots and a meagre 2 shots on target all game hardly scream exhilarating performance!

Business end of the season, grind out a 1 nil win and deserved praise, that's all that matters but I can't fathom how it can be seen as a very good performance. Offered nothing in attack and sat back too long offering nothing on the break unfortunately.

Like I said yesterday to you if you disagree with me but I stand by its was very good performance and let's not forget we kept their star striker Gyokeres quiet and didn't have a chance. Defending very well. Attacking decent enough. Rovers played the game situation very well until the 95th minute

18 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They might have still sent the keeper up or they may not have done. At least you’re asking them a question, to come up with an answer.

The question you’re asking is ‘are you willing to risk conceding a second goal in order to try and get an equaliser?’ and the fact that the keeper has gone forward means they’ve already answered yes. 

Don’t get me wrong, on most corners I agree with you - leaving a player, especially someone short and quick like Dolan, up front makes sense, but in that situation, in the last minute of a game where you’re leading, where we were already short-handed because they’ve brought everyone including the keeper up, it would be foolish in the extreme 

16 hours ago, Penwortham Blue said:

That’s my mantra as well but it has all gone out the window now. I’m still gutted and fuming 24 hours on just like I would have been back in the day.

Good days are on the horizon at Ewood whatever happens this season, Kimberly back at Ewood head of recruitment (he might find us a prolific goal scorer) and JDT  as yet to sign his own players.

• Like 3