BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v The Dingles (h) - 25/04/2023, k/o 8pm

Just now, roverandout said:

Adam Wharton in midfield next season with a proper, no Gallagher, forward in. We should have a chance but I really don't think Venkys are interested in promotion 

I suspect Trav has hit his particular ceiling, unless there’s something hidden that I’ve not seen, so we need an improvement there. Gritty, haggard, loud, strong.

Playoffs have to be the target, it’s totally achievable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

The problem is Broughton the only forward he has been able to find so far is Hirst. He claims to have considered 25 strikers in January and yet didn't mange to get a single one in. 

Playing without a striker might look very good in tippy tappy youth team football where Broughton had spent his entire career but in senior football results are what matters and you don't win games without putting the ball in the net.

Nail on the head. Broughton and his team have properly fucked us over in January, and led to possibly the worst 6 days I can recall since the two cup exits in 1993. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, neophox said:

With Khadra I think we should had been in the play offs.

He's scored 4 goals this season and has two assists, another player that struggles to score is absolutely not what we needed.

A cursory glance at the Championship top scorers and the clubs they are with tells you what we need. It's phenomenal that we're still in with a shot.

Someone the other day said, are we really worse off than Luton and Coventry? Two teams with 20 goal strikers. If only we'd had a 20 goal striker.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Don't be disheartened. We fought and gave a good account of ourselves. Benson was the difference. We were the better side, overall, but unfortunately, a moment of Premier League quality gave them the win.

My biggest worry is that JDT stays in summer. A modest budget, no more contract worries, and I think we'll be serious contenders next season. I have hope that tonight will be a distant memory after next season.

Played well in 3 successive games against good opponents but 2 goals and 2 points tell s the tale.

A decent transfer window and we'd be on our way to the play-offs already.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Chaddy used to bang on about the lad Morris who’s at Luton now.. I always thought he was very hard working but a bit of a blunt instrument. His scoring record previously would back up that opinion. Now he can’t stop scoring, good coaching ?

Amari’i Bell too who is a regular there now.

If forwards can’t perform individually, an alternative might be to play a partnership of two forwards to support each other. I would guess that a Dolan-Gallagher pairing would do better than either as a lone forward.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

• Backroom
1 minute ago, BigBar said:

He was well up for it but A Wharton showed balls in the performance he put in. To do that at his age against our biggest rivals is seriously impressive. Did it all with a smile on his face too. Class act.

Didn't deserve to be on the losing side, that's for sure.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, CambridgeRover said:

In what way?

Pockets of Bumley fans celebrating in the corporate seats. Next to me around row 15 a youngish lad was cheering after the goal, He was told to fuck off by a few people then others took it past words and started throwing punches. My big gripe here is on that stairwell they've got an old dolloper as steward backed up by a short woman. It was clear before the game started the padded seats were full of their fans - saw loads taking photos of the away end and another guy on the phone waving to someone in there. They needed proper security there.

The lad shit it - he wasn't a hooligan and the old steward and girl tried to get him out but they got followed on to the concourse where I saw him on the floor taking a few kicks. They managed to get him up and he wasn't hurt. After it was over around 10 coppers and security arrived.

My big gripe is at Rovers here - the same shit happened against North End and they didn't deal with it then. They're happy to take 200+ people paying £100 a head and skeleton staff it. 

One Rovers fan got taken away by police and will no doubt get a ban when the situation should never have been allowed to happen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Adam Wharton in midfield next season with a proper, no Gallagher, forward in. We should have a chance but I really don't think Venkys are interested in promotion 

Adam whartons on his way to the prem expect a big bid coming in...

venkys arent interested never have been

• Like 1

Don’t overstate how significant tonight’s result is for Burnley. Winning one of the lower leagues is not particularly meaningful. Getting promoted is the big achievement. Whether you win the league or finish 6th and win the play-offs, it’s pretty irrelevant.
Putting a thoroughly depressing and unlucky week aside, we are a striker or 2 short of a really decent team now. Intensity and style of play has come on leaps and bounds since the defeat at Turf moor and the defeats to PNE and Rotherham! 

• Like 2

Absolutely awful to see that shite dancing around our pitch😡 the 1 shit led to a goal - a goal that they have scored a good few times. It was criminal to show Benson the inside as he punishes defenders. 
Aside of the above Rovers failed to test their keeper that is the real issue here. Great turn out and a good atmosphere but it’s fallen flat because we more than matched them but we just didn’t have the killer touch.

positives Wharton and JRC

negatives Hyam and Carter stupidly passing the ball across the line and carter for losing the ball unnecessarily which led to their winner

Now it’s shit or bust on Monday Robers will need the crowd with them if we are to get 3 points 

6 minutes ago, booth said:

Dolan and Hedges aren’t even strikers, that’s the biggest problem, Mowbray’s bizarre experiment of playing without centre forwards.

Think any of Szmodics, Dolan, Hedges, Thomas, BBD are good enough as the wider forwards or in the 10 role, as long as you have a proper goal scorer through the middle at number 9 who can lead the line and worry the defence when a cross or a through ball come in. But playing three or four of them without a focal point is hopeless really.

If we had a Graham or Gestede we would be a real force to be reckoned with. We don't need to find a worldy in the summer, just someone who gives you a chance against Championship centre backs when the ball goes in.

I feel like we will find one or two like that. No much data to base that opinion on. But with BBD, Ayala and probably Dack going freeing up big wages, and a strikers being the clear priority for the team, and the manager and recruitment structure being in place, we should find the right signing. If we don't I'll get the pitchfork out, but think it will happen.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The problem is Broughton the only forward he has been able to find so far is Hirst. He claims to have considered 25 strikers in January and yet didn't mange to get a single one in. 

Playing without a striker might look very good in tippy tappy youth team football where Broughton had spent his entire career but in senior football results are what matters and you don't win games without putting the ball in the net.

You cannot level blame at GB the appointment came late so move on. The issue was the club secretary who reports to SW who is to blame for the mother of all fuck ups. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Overriding emotion is one of pride in the team. They play for the shirt and that comes from the manager. Any criticism or talk of 'shared blame' is just cliched, meaningless nonsense.

The team has progressed massively since the turn of the year, just as JDT promised it would.  Unfortunately, the manager has been let down. Badly. IMO Broughton should be sacked. To fail to sign not one but two players because your team couldn't send of the relevant documents on time is an absolute embarrassment. Broughton's failure to bring in a decent striker in not one but two window has cost us a place in the Play-Offs and potentially £150m. 

Hopefully, JDT sticks around beyond the summer. We are 3 forwards short of a very good team. 

Agree with most of this except Broughton being sacked. Even if it was ultimately him in reality at fault for the documentation failures, I'm willing to chalk it up to experience. Has to find the strikers over the summer though.

25 minutes ago, DE. said:

If we start next season with Gallagher as our main forward then it won't be a season worth watching.

£5M down the drain there---hard-working but hasn't the talent. He'll play out his contract I'd predict.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Overriding emotion is one of pride in the team. They play for the shirt and that comes from the manager. Any criticism or talk of 'shared blame' is just cliched, meaningless nonsense.

The team has progressed massively since the turn of the year, just as JDT promised it would.  Unfortunately, the manager has been let down. Badly. IMO Broughton should be sacked. To fail to sign not one but two players because your team couldn't send of the relevant documents on time is an absolute embarrassment. Broughton's failure to bring in a decent striker in not one but two window has cost us a place in the Play-Offs and potentially £150m. 

Hopefully, JDT sticks around beyond the summer. We are 3 forwards short of a very good team. 

At any other club Broughton would be sacked, but then so should Waggott.

• Like 3