BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (h) - 1/5/23

9 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Yeah good point. ย I mean, Luton only appointed Edwards in November, but other than that ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Yeah, I mean he totally didn't take over a well rounded squad from a bloke that was poached by Southampton.ย ๐Ÿ‘

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He is a Select Group One referee and predominantly operates on the Premier League and as a VAR as well as being on the International list. My only fear about referees 'dropping down' a league or two is that some think they are too good to do this and take this attitude into the game. We shall see.

I'm yet to see a referee that is good enough. Maybe this lad will show us how it's done.

10 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

JDT once again stresses the impotance of the crowd for today, like the Hull, Coventry, Burnley matches. Big crowds turned up and were disappointed, its up to JDT and Bla ckburn Rovers to supply the goods and send the crowd home happy.

They need to give us something to get excited aboutย 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I think we'll win tonight by a couple pf goals. We're desperate for the points and Luton won't be at full tilt.ย 

Will go down to the final day where I reckon we'll draw.ย 

After todays result, Luton will definitely finish 3rd.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Atko's Engine said:

Today's likely 11:

Pears ยฃ300k (or TK, free?)

JRC - academy

Carter - academy

Hyam - ยฃ1.6m

Pickering - free

A Wharton - academyย 

Travis - academy

Hedges - free (or Thomas, loan)

Dolan - free

Dack - ยฃ500k (or Szmodics ยฃ1.6m?)

BBD ยฃ5m - ยฃ7m (or Leonard, academy)

Let's face it, the big fees are outliers, in many people's eyes costly mistakes.

Factor in the likes of Buckley (academy), Morton (loan), S Wharton (academy), Ayala (free), Garrett (academy), Phillip's (academy) plus of course Gallagher, and the frugality massively outweighs the splurges.

With a new management team w/o Championship experience, hamstrung by a dysfunctional admin team & disinterested owners, and it puts things a little more into perspective IMO.

ย 

ย 

Keeping in mind the context was the likes of Coventry, Millwall and Luton above us, and the teams at the lower end of the league, do you think we're facing a significant disadvantage based on that? Remembering that as far as the academy is concerned, we have a very good one that is highly funded relative to a lot of other clubs.ย 

If you do then fair enough, for the record, it's all about opinions... but I don't think there's good reason to say we're way above where we should be in this league. I think if we finish 8th - 10th that's an average position based on what we have available.

Edited by DE.

54 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He is a Select Group One referee and predominantly operates on the Premier League and as a VAR as well as being on the International list. My only fear about referees 'dropping down' a league or two is that some think they are too good to do this and take this attitude into the game. We shall see.

My worry is these referees now rely on VAR to make correct decisions for them

1 minute ago, 1874 said:

He might forget he's not got VAR today and make a decision thinking VAR will call him if hes got it wrong

5 minutes ago, 1874 said:

He won't have that safety next tonight so he will have to make the big calls for himself. I just hope he gets them big decisions right because in recent weeks they have gone against us.

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He won't have that safety next tonight so he will have to make the big calls for himself. I just hope he gets them big decisions right because in recent weeks they have gone against us.

I wouldn't mind him getting one or two wrong as long as it's the "right" way.

1 hour ago, RoversTilliDie said:

JDT once again stresses the impotance of the crowd for today, like the Hull, Coventry, Burnley matches. Big crowds turned up and were disappointed, its up to JDT and Bla ckburn Rovers to supply the goods and send the crowd home happy.

We'll have to go hard on for themย 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Keeping in mind the context was the likes of Coventry, Millwall and Luton above us, and the teams at the lower end of the league, do you think we're facing a significant disadvantage based on that? Remembering that as far as the academy is concerned, we have a very good one that is highly funded relative to a lot of other clubs.ย 

If you do then fair enough, for the record, it's all about opinions... but I don't think there's good reason to say we're way above where we should be in this league. I think if we finish 8th - 10th that's an average position based on what we have available.

Coventry, Luton & Millwall are all punching above their weight granted,ย  much like we did under Souness & Hughes. Those 3 benefit from having solid foundations playing staff wise; JDT inherited a squad bereft of half a dozen first teamers, inc the player of the season.

Doesn't mean we can't still be punching above our weight in this div given what we have. W Brom, Norwich, Watford to name 3 should be ahead of us in terms of squad value etc.ย 

The year we got promoted under Dalglish we had a terrible run of form also, won 2 of the last 10 games only, including a Speedie inspired win away at Plymouth on the last day which I was at, this season is ending very similar as if we win these two games left we will have won 2 out of the last 10 games, in 92 we lost 6 in a row before drawing 2 and winning 2 to scrape in to the play offs.

The games vs Derby and the win at Wembley against Leicester remain up there with the best games I can remember, I was 13, not sure my 44 year old self can take the stress!