BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (a) - Monday 8th May

I do think today will prove to be a bitter lesson for everyone at the club. It's a combination of things that have left us in this position, I'd say in this order of significance.

1. Mistakes in January

2. Invisible / disinterested owners.

3. Individual player errors / decision making

4. Poor substitutions

5. Poor team tactics

6. Bad luck / poor officiating.

4 of those are remediable at dressing room level.

The bit in italics above I typed before the game but failed to send as I was out. Couldn't be more true imo after this afternoon.

Gutted is not the word. Given the margin of missing out we can point to any number of individual incidents that have proven costly, but the overall issue is mismanagement above JDT (I.e. 1 & 2 above).  I hope to God he stays despite that, because I believe he can take us further given the right support.

Time for my another email to Steve Waggott; hopefully he actually responds to this one, rather than leave his assistant to acknowledge it & confirm it had been passed on.

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Szmodics or Dolan against Luton. Hirst (or the ref allowing the goal) against Cardiff too. There are more as well. 

It's a shame but a team with a negative goal difference will always struggle to make the playoffs.

Bad referring decisions, missed sitters, drab draws, and spineless defeats all contributed to 7th place yet ultimately all of this falls at Venkys feet. 10+ years of abjectly bad ownership meant that Rovers started the 22-23 season already behind due to the combination of the late appointment of JDT and Broughton, and them having to deal with a threadbare squad left to its own devices.

Then they allowed whoever messed up the January window to stay in situ.

There is hope for next season. Rovers have some good young players. A goalscorer, a clever head in midfield, left back, and probably a keeper are minimum requirements. 

Kaminski in goal, Batty at left-back, midfield 3 chosen from Wharton, Garrett, Buckley, JRC. Then splash out on a goal-scorer or two.

• Like 3

Very proud of the players and the comeback today. We didn't just get up but they up their game and get that win that knock Millwall out of top 6. 

I think this season has been good one and one of overachievement for me given our wage budget, new footballing management in JDT and GB plus some of the football we played I have enjoyed plus 2 good cup runs. So plenty of positives going forward and with the right summer signings plus keep our key players/good young players. 

So I am confident about next season if we can make the right quality signings plus keep JDT. onwards and upwards 

9 minutes ago, Neilbristol said:

You think Gally will get 8 goals next season?! Dreaming aren't you. He has  been shocking this year

I never expect him to score any, but that's what he scored last season and this.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Am I the only one that thinks this season has been horrible?

In the top 6 all season but lose out on goal difference, despite having many chances to secure at least 1 more fucking point. 

20mins from Wembley and lose out, despite being 2-1 up.

Dingles get promoted and then run salt in by winning the league at Ewood Park, when they really didn't deserve it.

Getting royally tubbed at their place.

Our former manager overtaking us to secure a top 6th place for Sunderland.

Sure, there are green shoots that can be seen with the likes of Wharton & JRC but we've been kicked in the nuts alot this season.

A 7th placed finish is respectable but it's the manner of how we ended up there that punches you right in the gut.

I was expecting a horror show, the last 10 games is what I expected for the majority of the season, so I'm fairly pleased with how well we have done. I've seen us limp out of so many competitions with a whimper so the Sheff Utd game gave me pride. The lads needed help in January and from what I've seen that was even managed to be messed up without Venkys direct involvement.

We are cursed for sure, we have been kicked in the balls but I can't harbour too much disdain for the players or manager.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We said the same thing last year. We weren't going to win the Playoffs with our lack of firepower. 

Well we have beaten Sunderland and drawn with Boro on aggregate this season. And also turned in some of our best performances in one off knockout matches. So had we got in you really don’t know.

Whats also annoying is the points dropped to shite like Wigan, Reading, Birmingham, And Rotherham..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Let's see who comes down - e.g. I could see Everton and Leicester going into absolute freefall.

Watford are a basket case club.

We need 3 new attacking players at a minimum, all of whom can score goals. 

Everton I agree with it's clear as day boardroom and ownership is an issue there. It will be Leeds, Forest & Southampton for me that drop though and they are all well enough run to get themselves back in top 6 mix.

Watford may be a basket case club but are we any different? the big difference is they have more money to splash and are an astute manager appointment who gets results early on away from being good to go.

We have little to no experience in the squad, no leaders & no goals. We need so much more than just 3 attacking players that score goals, which in itself is a huge ask without multi-millions to throw at it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's all about perspective - I was expecting relegation when we'd spent five weeks without a manager in the summer.

Yeah I expected a season of struggle and would of snapped your hand off for 7th at the start of the season. 

1 minute ago, cesus said:

I was expecting a horror show, the last 10 games is what I expected for the majority of the season, so I'm fairly pleased with how well we have done. I've seen us limp out of so many competitions with a whimper so the Sheff Utd game gave me pride. The lads needed help in January and from what I've seen that was even managed to be messed up without Venkys direct involvement.

We are cursed for sure, we have been kicked in the balls but I can't harbour too much disdain for the players or manager.

I feel like the timing for everything has just been against us. Conceding last minute goals/own goals, handballs not given at the death, being so close to Wembley, Dingles lifting the trophy just had to fall on our game at Ewood. Frustrating beyond belief.

I don't hold anything against the players or manager, in fact I want him to stay and build on this season. It's just frustrating being the nearly men but seeing others celebrate.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I was not really commenting on the Sunderland team or players or even Mowbray's role in getting them into the playoffs. I'm not even debating if he is a good or bad manager.

What I was pointing out was that Mowbray seems to have thrived at Sunderland while his last 4 years at Rovers were a non-event and he seemed to have very little enthusiasm for the job. In my opinion it is down to the environment he is working in. Sunderland have belief and ambition and momentum. We have Venky's

Probably has venkys dont seem to want promotion

Like him or loathe him if anyone with ambition comes in for JDT he will be off

2 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Well we have beaten Sunderland and drawn with Boro on aggregate this season. And also turned in some of our best performances in one off knockout matches. So had we got in you really don’t know.

Whats also annoying is the points dropped to shite like Wigan, Reading, Birmingham, And Rotherham..

Agree its been over the season

A lot of missed opportunities

10 minutes ago, Hasta said:

It’s taken less than 70 points to get in the play offs this year. That’s rare. This has been one of the most even championships we’ve seen for a while.

Ultimately, it'll always be a struggle if the club don't support the manager. Since we got relegated from the PL, every season we've been crippled by something. We were unlucky this season but not helped by the recruitment team crapping themselves when the spotlight was on them. We're our own worst enemy and I'd hope that the goal is automatic promotion, not the play off lottery.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Athlete said:

Like him or loathe him if anyone with ambition comes in for JDT he will be off

Seems like it. When he talks about how great an achievement it is for little Rovers to still be in contention on the last day, he’s not talking to the supporters and I certainly hope he’s not talking to players. He’s building up how good a job he has done to outsiders IMO.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Reading between the lines I think we knew this anyway. Jdt has talked openly about the mess in January. 

Personally I do not think he'll walk, but would absolutely be keen to listen to any offers. 

It does put us in a precarious position. I think the chances are that a big club coming in for him are less than 50%, however what would be even worse is we start next season well and he's in the shop window for the early season merry-go-round. My betting is we'd be totally unprepared for that eventuality. 

With the model we're trying to build JDT is just a piece of the puzzle. But early next season would be too soon, and definitely cause us some issues. 

Goalkeeper, left back, LW, RW and a striker needed.

7 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Gallant failure in the end, is what it is. It will likely be dressed up as being a terrific effort from a young side, who just missed out, in some quarters. If we had finished in this position after occupying a mid table/lower half position for most of the season, I would agree with that. But not like this.

The reality is, it was in our hands, and we threw it away. Yes, they did well to get into that position in the first place, but personally, I can't look at the way the season ended and hold a "nobody expected this in August, what a great effort" outlook.

Brereton disappeared when it mattered over recent months, we conceded late goals when it mattered over recent months, we squandered many great chances, Hyam turned nervy at pressure moments, the Sheff United cup defeat was a body blow. All of that is what did it for us, not today.

It was a good second half performance today, we looked better without Travis in the middle, and we could go on to achieve something if JDT is backed with the right signings. The latter is the entire issue though. He might have seen enough already in January with that fiasco, to think "I'm out". We aren't far away, but the running of the club is a mess and is what is costing us over and over again.

It's a sickener to see us come back from two goals down to win a game TODAY, on the final day, when it ultimately counts for little. Where has this been all season?

It's a sickener that BBD turns up today to score twice after months of no shows. Where has he been for months on end?

It's a sickener to think that simply holding on to a 1-0 lead against either one of Preston or Coventry would have been enough for us to make the top 6.

It's a sickener to see Mowbray sneak a 6th place finish and for us to help him do it. 

Sickener is the word.

I'll tell you what else is pissing me off. The thought of somebody sitting in his office hoping that the January debacle is soon forgotten about by the fans.

We won't forget.

Silvester out. Waggott out.

Can't argue with any of this.

2 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Seems like it. When he talks about how great an achievement it is for little Rovers to still be in contention on the last day, he’s not talking to the supporters and I certainly hope he’s not talking to players. He’s building up how good a job he has done to outsiders IMO.

Am I the only person who heard him and thought he just meant it was seen as a rebuilding job at the beginning of the season, with players outgoing and being unable to bring in the amount of players required, and that's why it's a great achievement.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Agree with these comments already made:-

Spankus monkey

Our transfer record tells me not a chance and another season of mid-table mediocrity is beckoning in what will be a much tougher division next season.

Speedie

yet ultimately all of this falls at Venkys feet. 10+ years of abjectly bad ownership meant that Rovers started the 22-23 season already behind due to the combination of the late appointment of JDT and Broughton, and them having to deal with a threadbare squad left to its own devices.

B16Rover

Coming into new season can look one of two ways.  Hopefully with JDT, a better resourced wage bill and a structure for the club.  However the fear and my gut says insert bog standard yes man British manager (you choose there's many), limited investment in lower end championship players and a push for a project on our kids 

As for my part, all the usual issues we know about have been stated-restriction on funds for transfers, owners, admin failures etc etc.  Could I just make a plea about loans? Obviously, we will need them. Could we get better ones next time out? We have had some very good ones in the past.

How long will the list of possible incoming players be over the summer? 😃