BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Rotherham (a) - 12/08/2023

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Harsh. They are playing to instruction. 

Every corner last week was played short too. 

I presume because we are a small team we don't offer any threat by just wanging it in the box. So we are trying something else. It's not working mind. Our corners are awful. A few times last week they ended up back with Pears. 

I also presume it's because we don't have a good set piece taker in the starting XI (and by extension the side). Unless you're just going to default to having Wharton take them all?

2 minutes ago, lraC said:

That red (second yellow) was given due to their player waving an imaginary card. That’s a bootable offense this season. The ref did his job and I’m sure that will be the punishment every time. 

Not sure what his first one was for.  

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Yeah Hedges is better than Markanday and Dolan and should be starting over them.

I assume JDT picked the same team (besides Tronstad) as they won the first game and he tries to reward that. He'll have to make changes for the next match, Dolan and Markanday offer very little out wide. 

Will we get JRC in midfield over Travis?

Would like to see that, Brittain at fullback, Ennis upfront and Gilsenan on the bench.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Harsh. They are playing to instruction. 

Every corner last week was played short too. 

I presume because we are a small team we don't offer any threat by just wanging it in the box. So we are trying something else. It's not working mind. Our corners are awful. A few times last week they ended up back with Pears. 

Yeah, I know they kept doing it last time out too. However, last kick of the game today, looking for a winner, just sling it in, surely? We had nothing to lose by doing that. That's the frustrating part.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, lraC said:

That red (second yellow) was given due to their player waving an imaginary card. That’s a bootable offense this season. The ref did his job and I’m sure that will be the punishment every time. 

The ref was correct but the law is an ass. That shouldn’t be the same punishment as pulling someone back breaking clear down the wing, or scything someone down. If he’d jumped up and ran to the ref aggressively then fine. But not sat laughing on the floor.

The first booking is nonsense as well. You can score and run across a stand full of opposition fans goading them, but if you happen to touch one of your own fans in celebration you get booked.

It massively saved us today, but it’s bollocks.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

Szmodics did well to hold it together. He’s becoming the beating heart of the team. JRC was everywhere and my mom. Hedges was much improved….I was losing faith in him but he was good today. 
Ennis looks like he might become the real deal too, I can’t see Gallagher being a regular starter.

Dolan isn’t good enough, neither is Travis. I know it was only against 10 men at the end but I’m encouraged that we came back from 2-0 down…..we wouldnt have done that last season!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I also presume it's because we don't have a good set piece taker in the starting XI (and by extension the side). Unless you're just going to default to having Wharton take them all?

Maybe, but I think we're just trying to be a bit too cute. I think we scored the least amount of goals from corners last season in the league, but the short corner routine looks even less effective. 

1 minute ago, tonyoz said:

Szmodics did well to hold it together. He’s becoming the beating heart of the team. JRC was everywhere and my mom. Hedges was much improved….I was losing faith in him but he was good today. 
Ennis looks like he might become the real deal too, I can’t see Gallagher being a regular starter.

Dolan isn’t good enough, neither is Travis. I know it was only against 10 men at the end but I’m encouraged that we came back from 2-0 down…..we wouldnt have done that last season!

I think Hedges is who he is - you get that performance from him week in, week out.

Good technically, quick enough and brave enough to provide width and take on his man, but his end product is poor. A good squad player, but you want much better if you're pushing for promotion. He's significantly better than Markanday and Dolan (out wide at least) though. 

• Like 3

Crazy crazy game- exhausted here after watching that. 

Szmodics madness bad and good.

At least we have shown we can come back from 2 down. 

22 shots is a huge number but so few on target- come on guys the net is big enough!

On paper two points dropped but definitely one gained from where we were after 50 minutes.

• Like 4

Delighted with that result. We should have won it in the end but, equally, if Rotherham hadn't had a man sent off then we'd be sitting here with a loss, so I'll take a draw.

The subs made all the difference. JRC showed that he's too talented to be playing at RB,  Hedges was excellent when he came on and is underrated imo, and Britain added a lot of spark at RB.

Ennis is some player. We have a bargain there, no doubt about that. Well done to the recruitment team on picking him up on a free. You can see he's a lacking a little sharpness in front of goal but he has all the tools needed to be a top championship striker.

Szmodics had a terrible yet brilliant game in equal measures but he's established himself as one of our best players after a slow start to life here.pp

Said it last week and I'll say it again after today, Dolan and Markanday are league 1 players unfortunately. We need better quality than what they offer. 

Last season I think we would have lost that game after going a goal behind, even with 10 men, so that's definitely progress. 

We have a good team again this year but only an OK squad. Work to do to in the transfer market

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

..................................... after one of the worst first-half performances I’ve seen in a Rovers shirt (and I was there for all of Corrado Grabbi.)

Hey! No picking on "Ciccio" ; he tried his best & if the goal against Barthez had counted his story might have turned out very differently. Besides, those were happy times for us for the most part.

Edited by doctorryan
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Maybe, but I think we're just trying to be a bit too cute. I think we scored the least amount of goals from corners last season in the league, but the short corner routine looks even less effective. 

Scored from one today didn’t we?

Edited by SBlue

11 minutes ago, tonyoz said:

Wait.....Who's your mommy?  MotM in the future gang.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I think Szmodics is too much of a 'cheeky-chap' to be captain. Let him just get on with his game and lead by example, he's not the player you want representing the team. JRC would be my shout. 

I agreed with you until you recommended the only bigger joker in the packers than szmodics! Despite his young years I think carter is vocal and leads by example, I’d have him