BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Rotherham (a) - 12/08/2023

21 minutes ago, Andy said:

The final corner, at the death, frustrated the hell out of me.

We were past time added on and the whistle was being blown the second the ball left the very top end of the pitch.

Expected a box full (including Pears), a big corner and let chaos ensue.

Hmm we tried that when Friedel scored against Charlton in 2004 in the last minute but they promptly kicked off and scored with the last kick of the match lol. It was gutting 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

I feel like this formation would really suit us AND get a tune out of Buckley. If JRC and Wharton marshall and dictate respectively, this would allow Buckley the freedom to play box-to-box and roam forward (as we’ve seen him do really well in the past).

I was thinking more the inverse - Buckley sits deep in the role Wharton has had recently, while JRC and Wharton focus on getting forward and into the "half spaces". Wharton, Pickering and Szmodics combine down the left channel, while JRC, Brittain and Hedges do the same down the right.

When weve got those triple combinations right it's incredibly hard for the opposition full back. When we get it right ots absolutely devastating like Leicester away in the cup last year.

What makes JDT probably my favourite manager by miles since Hughes (and I am wondering if he could actually compete with Hughes and Souness if he sticks around for a few years) is that he throws so many bodies forward and prioritises overloading the opposition full back over good defensive shape. He likes taking risks which makes us, imo, a pretty good watch.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bazza said:

Modern era???  30 odd years ago, Jim. Way in the past to a lot on this board.

No matter how old you are, 30 years ago is flipping miles in the past 😄

Edited by Andy

1 hour ago, bazza said:

As you know the years pass by in the blink of an eye as you get older. So 30 years ago seems like yesterday to me. It all goes quickly. Speedie and that cohort are to my mind very much in the modern mould and very different to the players of the early 1960s when I first started going to matches. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bazza said:

He was bloody brilliant that season we got promoted. Certainly dragged us out of the shit v Derby in the semi play offs but then for some reason we did a swap and cash deal for a young lad called Shearer! Imagine the meltdown on here if it had existed in the summer of 92!  TBF it was a great move for him and us when he came here after a poor Liverpool time. Sure he will live in the hearts or Rovers fans for his exploits that season

• Like 4

• Backroom
1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

Speedie’s Rovers’ debut was closer to Spurs winning the double than it was to today.

You’ve upset me now:

Rovers winning the league is closer to the moon landings than today.

Always makes me laugh when folk try and paint Shearer as some young unknown we’d just inexplicably signed for daft money.

He was a full international with England goals under his belt, a top flight hat trick to his name and he came to us straight from Euro ‘92.

Edited by Mattyblue

When someone on radio says, "Back in the 80s" and the other person in the studio says, " That was before my time" that's what shocks me. Hell! My past was 50s and 60s. I remember walking through a local town when I was 30ish and seeing all those people around me.  90% of them are all dead now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bazza said:

When someone on radio says, "Back in the 80s" and the other person in the studio says, " That was before my time" that's what shocks me. Hell! My past was 50s and 60s. I remember walking through a local town when I was 30ish and seeing all those people around me.  90% of them are all dead now.

What a ray of sunshine you are.

I still can't get my head around people not being alive when we won the league cup.

Like what are you, an embryo?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bazza said:

I was in a pub recently which was advertising a ‘90s night.

That isn’t a ‘theme’, it’s just a night out I used to have. 

• Like 6

On 12/08/2023 at 11:35, doctorryan said:

Hey! No picking on "Ciccio" ; he tried his best & if the goal against Barthez had counted his story might have turned out very differently. Besides, those were happy times for us for the most part.

Inalways thought that too, it WAS a good goal and that could bave changed things

• Like 2

3 hours ago, USABlue said:

Inalways thought that too, it WAS a good goal and that could bave changed things

That was a brilliant bit of skill. Just one of a long list of dodgy decisions we had go against us when we were playing the Red Rats in that era. I can’t honestly remember us being on the right side of just one controversial decision and we must have been on the wrong side of about ten !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That was a brilliant bit of skill. Just one of a long list of dodgy decisions we had go against us when we were playing the Red Rats in that era. I can’t honestly remember us being on the right side of just one controversial decision and we must have been on the wrong side of about ten !

Remember when Ronaldo did a fresh air shot and then jumped on the floor?

Yep, he got a free kick for that.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In that game alone there was that decision and Beckham's free kick being taken as our player was still on his way off the pitch. 

Then you have the Saha handball before the Smith equaliser in 2004, the potential Scholes handball in the cup semi (not 100% on this one mind), the soft penalty to win them the league in 2011 at Ewood, not sending off their keeper in 2002/2003 (which would have resulted in a player in net). 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

In that game alone there was that decision and Beckham's free kick being taken as our player was still on his way off the pitch. 

Then you have the Saha handball before the Smith equaliser in 2004, the potential Scholes handball in the cup semi (not 100% on this one mind), the soft penalty to win them the league in 2011 at Ewood, not sending off their keeper in 2002/2003 (which would have resulted in a player in net). 

I used to sit right behind the goal in the BBE and Scholes definitely hand-balled that in the cup semi. 

• Like 2

Just watched the full match replay on the Rovers site.

Not seen it mentioned but Pears attempt to keep out their second goal was truly pathetic. There's a camera angle from behind the play and he looks out of position to start with, doesn't move his feet over to the side of the goal the ball is headed from, and actually pulls way his hand. 

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Not seen it mentioned but Pears attempt to keep out their second goal was truly pathetic. There's a camera angle from behind the play and he looks out of position to start with, doesn't move his feet over to the side of the goal the ball is headed from, and actually pulls way his hand. 

Admittedly, I've not seen it from behind the goal, but from the main camera angle I didn't think it was his fault. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Positioning is definitely one of Pears weak points and whilst he mostly does ok his reflexes aren't on a par with what TKs were.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

Hopefully you're feeling better by now, @Tricky.

Do we put the no place for Wahlstedt yet down to your, erm, "state of mind"😉 when you posted yesterday?

When's he going to make his debut?

yeah i left Tronstad out too... Leopold will come in when he's ready