BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Rotherham (a) - 12/08/2023

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

That's exactly why I said mix it up. The issue for me, is that two corners aside at Fleetwood every corner we have taken has been short.

Mixing it up is obviously the key.

You can see through our 1st what we are trying to do. Get it to Wharton in a dangerous area with 2 runners to his flank creating an overload.

It becomes very predictable to defend against once the opposition have been bit by it. You'd think them pulling men out of the box to combat it would help us in the middle of the box for a cross too.

Some interesting decisions to be made re next week's team selection against Hull.

Does JDT stick with JRC in midfield and bring Brittain in at right back ?

Ennis is looking sharper every game and looks like a good aquisition - is he fit enough to start now ?

Who plays in the wide attacker positions? I agree Dolan is not the answer and if an offer came in for him I would move him on.  Sigurdsson will be nailed on for one of the wide areas  eventually, which leaves Hedges to me as the best option at the moment for the other slot.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gav said:

I've not looked, but I seem to recall us losing 3-0 away at Reading this time last season, so things are certainly much better 12 months on! 8 goals in 3 games with no recognised first team striker for much of the time, is something to make note of too.

The pattern of play has changed, much quicker in and out of possession, you can see that taking more time to develop as the season progresses, its great to watch at times.

The fans were superb yesterday, big numbers, but I have to mention the away kit, yes it gives the fans opportunity to sing "Yellow, yellow" but its a bloody awful colour!

Onwards and upwards.

IMG_3973.jpeg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gav said:

I've not looked, but I seem to recall us losing 3-0 away at Reading this time last season,

It was the 4th league game in. We won the first 3 then lost 3 and Reading was the first of those. Sadly, I was there on a Tuesday or Wednesday night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was expecting us to sign someone with physical presence when we signed Tronstad. I know it’s early days yet and David Batty wasn’t very tall but I was surprised when I saw that we’d signed another pretty short player.

Was going to post exactly the same earlier.  I was expecting someone 6ft plus.  Tronstad seems a strange signing.  He looks slow, yet no doubt tidy enough in possession.  Not sure what else he will bring that Buckley/Travis/Wharton/Garret can't already do though.

Based on JDT comments at the end of last season, I expected an Nzonzi type or a Rothwell type. Something different to the existing midfield dynamic.

Tronstadt is a decent  free signing - if he's seen as a squad filler.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s my thinking as well. We’d got a point that looked very unlikely 20 minutes earlier. Chuck it in the mixer and you risk another Preston away style goal.

11 v 11 and the opposition have something to play for, I take your point. 

Yesterday though, Rotherham were physically shot and hanging on. They had everyone back. There was literally time for the corner to be swung in.  Even if the keeper got it, he'd have led on it till the whistle went.

It should have been swung in the mixer. It was a free cross at that stage of the game.

Teams that get promoted, come back and win those games late on.   

Last year, I reckon we'd have lost it 2-1 though so we are progressing!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Was going to post exactly the same earlier.  I was expecting someone 6ft plus.  Tronstad seems a strange signing.  He looks slow, yet no doubt tidy enough in possession.  Not sure what else he will bring that Buckley/Travis/Wharton/Garret can't already do though.

Based on JDT comments at the end of last season, I expected an Nzonzi type or a Rothwell type. Something different to the existing midfield dynamic.

Early days to judge on Tronstad. My assumption is that he will be more aggressive and physical in the tackle.

What I did like yesterday though is how stuck in Wharton gets. He isnt a creative focussed passenger in the midfield, he wins quite a few tackles. If we took Travis or Tronstad out of the midfield and played Wharton and JRC / Buckley I'm not sure we would actually lose that much in terms of robustness.

Something I hope we give a shot to.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Early days to judge on Tronstad. My assumption is that he will be more aggressive and physical in the tackle.

What I did like yesterday though is how stuck in Wharton gets. He isnt a creative focussed passenger in the midfield, he wins quite a few tackles. If we took Travis or Tronstad out of the midfield and played Wharton and JRC / Buckley I'm not sure we would actually lose that much in terms of robustness.

Something I hope we give a shot to.

Agree. It would be very interesting to see those 3 play together. 

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I was hoping for an “ almost the first name on the team sheet “ type signing, not a squad filler. You improve by replacing the average players with good players, then you replace the good players with class players, then you replace the class players with great players.

It can’t be done overnight, but replacing average players with average players gets you nowhere.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tricky said:

Just got back, great comeback, feel like we need to just focus on scoring more than we concede to win ffs, ala Liverpool... 

Let 's change it up next week and attack the fuck out of Hull. 

Gallagher

Hedges Szmodics JRC 

Wharton Travis 

Pickering Hyam Carter Brittain 

Pears 

Yes I'm still pissed... 

Hopefully you're feeling better by now, @Tricky.

Do we put the no place for Wahlstedt yet down to your, erm, "state of mind"😉 when you posted yesterday?

When's he going to make his debut?

I think Dolan comes in for a lot of harsh criticism on here, but he’s pissed me off the last couple of weeks. That stupid attempt at the open goal with the outside of his boot was ridiculous… just needed a simple finish. 

When he keeps it simple he’s good. The attempts at the outrageous that never come off are getting really tiresome now. I think it needs to be an either/or with him and Markanday, and to me Dolan is still a fair way ahead. Hedges needs a start next week for sure though.

JRC attracted quite a bit of Premier League interest with his performances last season, but the general consensus is he isn’t fast enough to play full back in the Premier League. He’s very keen to show what he can do further forward. Again yesterday he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and completely dictated things. I know they were a man down, but JRC and Wharton could very quickly become the best midfield in the league. It’s interesting that the first option was to move him forward despite Buckley, Tronstad and Garrett all being on the bench.

I’m not fully convinced by Brittain, but he is definitely a brilliant attacking outlet when we are dominating possession. Hopefully a decent run in the side will just sharpen him up a bit and help him retain the ball a bit better.

• Like 2

You can see why Bobby Madeley is no longer a premier league ref 

That man is bloody awful. He lost total control of the game for a little while. Not seen that in professional football for a long while 

Overall we just weren’t good enough. First half it was slow and just no end quality. Turned it around in the second and honestly thought we’d go on to win

Nevertheless, it’s a point gained from a losing position. Something that took us so long to do last year. These things will happen in the Championship and in a notoriously difficult place for us to go we walk away with a point 

Win at home, minimum draw away and you are in good stead

4 hours ago, Gav said:

I've not looked, but I seem to recall us losing 3-0 away at Reading this time last season, so things are certainly much better 12 months on! 8 goals in 3 games with no recognised first team striker for much of the time, is something to make note of too.

The pattern of play has changed, much quicker in and out of possession, you can see that taking more time to develop as the season progresses, its great to watch at times.

The fans were superb yesterday, big numbers, but I have to mention the away kit, yes it gives the fans opportunity to sing "Yellow, yellow" but its a bloody awful colour!

Onwards and upwards.

To me it's one of the worst versions of yellow kits we've had.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I think Dolan comes in for a lot of harsh criticism on here, but he’s pissed me off the last couple of weeks. That stupid attempt at the open goal with the outside of his boot was ridiculous… just needed a simple finish. 

When he keeps it simple he’s good. The attempts at the outrageous that never come off are getting really tiresome now. I think it needs to be an either/or with him and Markanday, and to me Dolan is still a fair way ahead. Hedges needs a start next week for sure though.

JRC attracted quite a bit of Premier League interest with his performances last season, but the general consensus is he isn’t fast enough to play full back in the Premier League. He’s very keen to show what he can do further forward. Again yesterday he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and completely dictated things. I know they were a man down, but JRC and Wharton could very quickly become the best midfield in the league. It’s interesting that the first option was to move him forward despite Buckley, Tronstad and Garrett all being on the bench.

I’m not fully convinced by Brittain, but he is definitely a brilliant attacking outlet when we are dominating possession. Hopefully a decent run in the side will just sharpen him up a bit and help him retain the ball a bit better.

I was having similar conversation with re Dolan with someone last night.

Hes always been in and out as young players are but hes just not been his usual busy pest like self for a while.  Heads not in it imo and probably another falling foul of the JDT way so if he doesn't buck up he needs to buck off.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I was having similar conversation with re Dolan with someone last night.

Hes always been in and out as young players are but hes just not been his usual busy pest like self for a while.  Heads not in it imo and probably another falling foul of the JDT way so if he doesn't buck up he needs to buck off.

I agree. He seems more interested in flashing his abs these days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was hoping for an “ almost the first name on the team sheet “ type signing, not a squad filler. You improve by replacing the average players with good players, then you replace the good players with class players, then you replace the class players with great players.

It can’t be done overnight, but replacing average players with average players gets you nowhere.

Tronstadt looks another Trybull to me , not offering much and bit well, what's the modern word..... meh? Certainly not a player to make a difference. The club were after O'Brien in January, the type of midfield enforcer we need. So where is his replacement?

• Like 7