BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Rotherham (a) - 12/08/2023

22 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I know they were a man down, but JRC and Wharton could very quickly become the best midfield in the league. It’s interesting that the first option was to move him forward despite Buckley, Tronstad and Garrett all being on the bench.

I’m not fully convinced by Brittain, but he is definitely a brilliant attacking outlet when we are dominating possession. Hopefully a decent run in the side will just sharpen him up a bit and help him retain the ball a bit better.

I would like Brittain in the team as I rated highly but its how can he get in the team. I might be tempted to play JRC from the right with midfield trio of Wharton, Tronstad and Szmodics for the Hull game. 

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

That’s what players have always done after scoring when chasing the game, no? We obviously wanted to go on and win it.

Now if he’d have done that after putting us 3-2 up it would back that argument up.

That's why I simply don't but the notion of some posters that we took a short corner in the dying seconds to hold out for a draw. It was absolutely clear we were hell bent on winning that game when, even at 2-2 players were bombing forward.

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

well he certainly was`nt yesterday,just ran around fouling everybody and mouthing off to rotherham players,mad madley would have sent him off if jdt had`nt taken him off

Wasn't his best performance I agree, but definitely not justification to sell him. An important player and leader in a thin and young squad.

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

That's why I simply don't but the notion of some posters that we took a short corner in the dying seconds to hold out for a draw. It was absolutely clear we were hell bent on winning that game when, even at 2-2 players were bombing forward.

i agree,though those short corners are pointless and never work

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ya know, Szmodics kinda has the look of someone who would have the wrong attitude (to unfairly judge a book by its cover here), but he keeps showing he doesn't. Hard worker, has the humility to accept his first half wasn't good enough but has the strength of spirit not to have let it affect him - in fact, for it to drive him on to a much better second half. He's growing on me all the time. I also happen to think he's the most clinical finisher currently at the club.

I think it's harsh to judge the penalty miss too much tbh. He hit the inside of the post, and if Dolan (who I like) had reacted better we'd have scored anyway. If that penalty had been about an inch to the left, it would be as precise as penalties get and we'd be praising it. The pass for Rotherham's first was utterly abysmal. A much more sensible pass was on. He did seem to lose balance as he hit it, which makes me wonder if he was aiming further over to the right flank, but whatever the case it was a car crash pass.

His first goal had an element of fortune for sure, I don't think the shot was going in without the deflection (hard to say without another angle). But he controlled it and set it up for himself nicely. Second goal he took very well, although the Rotherham player did nearly get it. I'd already thought what he said in the interview, that he hadn't seen the player, which makes sense given the angle of his run and how he'd be mostly focussing on his technique.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he was`nt doing any of that yesterday,hence jdt hauled him off,time to get shut of the old mowbray stock and move forward,it was clear at the end jdt and himself have fallout out

Not sure how he is "Mowbray stock" as an academy graduate but if he has fallen out with him, there are little signs hence why he is one of the first names on the team sheet under him.

He got taken off yesterday as a tactical change to go more attacking at 2 down against 10 men.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Liked the way Szmodics had enough presence of mind to run back to half way after both his goals.

Any celebration would surely have a second yellow.

JDT instilling excellent discipline.

I noticed that.  Lad had his head screwed on.  Could easily have over celebrated the equaliser.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would like Brittain in the team as I rated highly but its how can he get in the team. I might be tempted to play JRC from the right with midfield trio of Wharton, Tronstad and Szmodics for the Hull game. 

I’d be reluctant to push JRC out wide. For the 75 or so minutes he’s played central midfield he’s been massively influential there. A lot of his best work from fullback comes from when he drifts into a central midfield area and I wouldn’t sacrifice the massive impact he has for the sake of Brittain. Also, Brittain stays a lot wider than JRC when he plays and they’d probably get in each others way if they were occupying the same wing. 

• Like 1

Based on what I've seen so far this season I would quite like us to line up like this... Think the combinations down the left and right will be great.

Pears

Brittain.     Hyam.    Carter.     Pickering

JRC.    Buckley   Wharton

Hedges.     Ennis.     Szmodics

• Like 6

Didn't see the match so can only go off what others have said, sounds like we should've gone ahead, then gave away two easy goals, then really upped our game when we got the advantage of a man up. Whether their player was unlucky to be sent off or not (we've had our fair share of that), I'm nor sure I recall a time previously when we've really made the extra man count, to the point that coming away with a point is almost a disappointment. 

I always try to see the positives, the obvious ones seemingly being Szmodics' zero to hero performance, Hedges, JRC, Brittain & Ennis' promise. I think there's enough about this squad, with some additions, that can do well again this season, despite the guff going on behind the scenes.

Rotherham was a tough place to go to last season, their home form was what kept them up. We know that only too well.  On a game by game basis, we're one point better off than last season having won 4 points from these two fixtures compared to 3 last season, which is progress whichever way you look at it, right? 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not sure how he is "Mowbray stock" as an academy graduate but if he has fallen out with him, there are little signs hence why he is one of the first names on the team sheet under him.

He got taken off yesterday as a tactical change to go more attacking at 2 down against 10 men.

he was taken off because he was a red card madley dismissal  waiting to happen

36 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Ya know, Szmodics kinda has the look of someone who would have the wrong attitude (to unfairly judge a book by its cover here), but he keeps showing he doesn't. Hard worker, has the humility to accept his first half wasn't good enough but has the strength of spirit not to have let it affect him - in fact, for it to drive him on to a much better second half. He's growing on me all the time. I also happen to think he's the most clinical finisher currently at the club.

I think it's harsh to judge the penalty miss too much tbh. He hit the inside of the post, and if Dolan (who I like) had reacted better we'd have scored anyway. If that penalty had been about an inch to the left, it would be as precise as penalties get and we'd be praising it. The pass for Rotherham's first was utterly abysmal. A much more sensible pass was on. He did seem to lose balance as he hit it, which makes me wonder if he was aiming further over to the right flank, but whatever the case it was a car crash pass.

His first goal had an element of fortune for sure, I don't think the shot was going in without the deflection (hard to say without another angle). But he controlled it and set it up for himself nicely. Second goal he took very well, although the Rotherham player did nearly get it. I'd already thought what he said in the interview, that he hadn't seen the player, which makes sense given the angle of his run and how he'd be mostly focussing on his technique.

In a situation like Sami’s second goal I always tried to get the shot a couple of feet off the ground. There’s always a chance of a defender sliding in out of nowhere as happened yesterday. Obviously you don’t want the ball to go too high.

• Like 1

• Backroom
45 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Based on what I've seen so far this season I would quite like us to line up like this... Think the combinations down the left and right will be great.

Pears

Brittain.     Hyam.    Carter.     Pickering

JRC.    Buckley   Wharton

Hedges.     Ennis.     Szmodics

I feel like this formation would really suit us AND get a tune out of Buckley. If JRC and Wharton marshall and dictate respectively, this would allow Buckley the freedom to play box-to-box and roam forward (as we’ve seen him do really well in the past).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

I’d be reluctant to push JRC out wide. For the 75 or so minutes he’s played central midfield he’s been massively influential there. A lot of his best work from fullback comes from when he drifts into a central midfield area and I wouldn’t sacrifice the massive impact he has for the sake of Brittain. Also, Brittain stays a lot wider than JRC when he plays and they’d probably get in each others way if they were occupying the same wing. 

I think JRC moving further forward and bringing Brittain in is the best way forward for the team. For me, Its how you get into the team now whether its centre midfield and dropping Travis or one of the wide role

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In a situation like Sami’s second goal I always tried to get the shot a couple of feet off the ground. There’s always a chance of a defender sliding in out of nowhere as happened yesterday. Obviously you don’t want the ball to go too high.

I was pondering this too. But I think it's a bit of a risk to lift the ball from the angle his body was to it at that time, and it made sense to focus on making sure it hit the target instead. Easy to skew it wide or over if you try to lift it from there. I think if he'd been aware the defender was there he may have taken a touch to steady his position and get a little closer first, that's why I assumed he hadn't seen him before he confirmed it.

• Like 1

The final corner, at the death, frustrated the hell out of me.

We were past time added on and the whistle was being blown the second the ball left the very top end of the pitch.

Expected a box full (including Pears), a big corner and let chaos ensue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

The final corner, at the death, frustrated the hell out of me.

We were past time added on and the whistle was being blown the second the ball left the very top end of the pitch.

Expected a box full (including Pears), a big corner and let chaos ensue.

Hopefully it's just that it's the standard corners procedure (I disagree with it, but then again we have a fairly short team right now and someone said one of our goals resulted from it, though the highlights don't show that part) and they defaulted to it. An oversight from the coaching team maybe...I would hope it will be analysed in training and they'll make it clear that any late late corners should be sent straight into the box.

• Like 1