BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (H) - 19/08/2023

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, alexanders said:

There has been so much slagging off after what was a heroic performance yesterday. Its painful reading it. 

There hasn’t though, has there? Please don’t invent things for clout from strangers on the internet.

Thanks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alexanders said:

Thought Liam Rosenior's comments on our performance were spot on and correct. We played very well with 10 men and had Ennis or Carter scored that second then we would have won. 

43 minutes ago, rigger said:

No, I needed it explaining to me, the reasoning of playing Gally as a left wing-back.

people have explained it to you including me. what don't you understand? 

32 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The replays of the goal here certainly do though. He took far too long to correct his position when the player moved inside. He then didn't fucking move for the shot. Connelly could have put that almost anywhere and scored.

First goal is one that could potentially be saved by a good goalkeeper too.

I watched the 15 minutes highlights this morning on Sky Sports thanks

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I watched the 15 minutes highlights this morning on Sky Sports thanks

Congratulations? Doesn't make you right. If you think that second goal is totally fine from Pears, you have very low standards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

The replays of the goal here certainly do though. He took far too long to correct his position when the player moved inside. He then didn't fucking move for the shot. Connelly could have put that almost anywhere and scored.

First goal is one that could potentially be saved by a good goalkeeper too.

That's a hard look for their second, schoolboy goalkeeping and by a poor schoolboy keeper who's just been put in the nets to make the numbers up.

For this first he went for a low shot when everything about the flight of the ball and how the scorer was shaping to take the shot screamed that it would go anywhere but low.

TBF Pears did make a couple of very good saves in the game.

• Like 1

Pears isn’t useless but he is a liability. It’s no good making good saves for 60 minutes  if you’re going to do something as mental as what he did yesterday. Like others have said he isn’t going to pull out match winning saves , he isn’t good coming for crosses and his positioning is appalling and I was saying that before kaminski left not just yesterday. We need better. I highly doubt he would start for any other club in our division 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

That's a hard look for their second, schoolboy goalkeeping and by a poor schoolboy keeper who's just been put in the nets to make the numbers up.

For this first he went for a low shot when everything about the flight of the ball and how the scorer was shaping to take the shot screamed that it would go anywhere but low.

TBF Pears did make a couple of very good saves in the game.

Yes, he did make a couple of decent stops. I think it's harsh to call him a schoolboy, and he's capable enough as a deputy for me (if we haven't inflated his wage too much in that last deal), but he simply isn't consistently good enough at this stage of his career to be our number one week in week out. Some people just don't notice it because he isn't making glaring mega blunders anymore, other than positionally.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yes, he did make a couple of decent stops. I think it's harsh to call him a schoolboy, and he's capable enough as a deputy for me (if we haven't inflated his wage too much in that last deal), but he simply isn't consistently good enough at this stage of his career to be our number one week in week out. Some people just don't notice it because he isn't making glaring mega blunders anymore, other than positionally.

Warnock saw through it and couldn't get shut of Pears quickly enough. Family ties meant that the taxi went to Ewood.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Shocking positional playing for both the red card and the second goal from Carthorse. A first choice centre back is needed as much a first choice centre forward.

Opens up a weakness for future teams to exploit. Having said that we were a man short.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

There hasn’t though, has there? Please don’t invent things for clout from strangers on the internet.

Thanks.

A lot of this at the moment.

Certain posters inventing narratives about how terrible brfcs is slagging GB, slagging the players, constant talks of ‘meltdowns’ when no such things have occurred . 

Par for the course for Swag’s coffee colleague, but plenty of others seem to be doing it too. Odd.

Edited by Mattyblue

Such a shame about the result. Rovers played really well today after going down to 10. Kept the ball well, nullified them and maintained a good shape/tactics given the situation. Just tiresome listening to fans a) moaning that we should press them (yeah right with 10 men) or b) stop passing it around and get it long more quickly (yeah right to who exactly with 10 men?)

For all the nonsense diversionary stuff on Pears, Dolan, the fact we were down to 10, refs (what a surprise and wrong as usual), it comes down to simple stuff.

Brain dead defending from Pickering and 2 simple over the top balls which we didn’t deal with. Heroic otherwise and I’m often very critical.

• Like 3

Not been mentioned on here but Carter had been on a major run forward less than 30 seconds before they scored, he actually missed a good chance. He's likely out of position because he's knackered himself out bombing forward and getting back in. It's a lack of concentration by him caused by essentially over committing at 1-1.

• Like 5

Incidentally, I mentioned to my neighbour in the ground that the ball over the top was likely to undo us. Carter was easily rolled at least twice and they were making useful deep lying runs. Seems something we are prone to.

Edited by aletheia

Not often you ‘enjoy’ a defeat, but it was a cracking, entertaining match that could have gone either way. 

Noteable shouts:

Leonard chased and chased.

Travis harried and when he picked up the ball deep was composed helping ease pressure.

Hedges took his chance and worked hard.

Ennis held the ball well.

Wharton increasingly class.

Play like that again and we will win more than we lose.

As an aside I hope we don’t panic and read too much into this result and feel we have to make signings. We don’t need more ‘Morton’s’ for the sake of it.

• Like 2

On the fans leaving Ewood early debate.

Not including the 18 months behind closed doors for Covid, we have won 14 points from losing positions at Ewood since promotion from league one. (3 wins and 5 draws)

Maybe it's just conditioned into the fans that when we go behind at Ewood, we aren't getting back into it?

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

On 20/08/2023 at 11:29, chaddyrovers said:

Its great showing that but doesn't showed the full action of that moment as you see why he is actually so far to start with. 

I would argue that the full replay from behind the goal is even more damning than that picture. The Twitter account 'reptracker' posted it and the comments from fans of various clubs are all equally damning of Pears' goalkeeping. As most of the comments aren't Rovers fans, the reaction is mainly one of humour and mockery. 

Of course he should start over on that side, but this isn't Subbuteo - players can move very easily, and he had bags of time to readjust, make himself big and at least give Connolly a finish to make. Instead he basically showed him exactly where he could easily score - a straight shot which Pears didn't even dive towards. 

I am not as critical of Pears as some but that piece of goalkeeping was amateur at best. Would Kaminski have saved it? Who knows, but he would have made himself big ,tried to close off the angle and at least forced Connolly into a half decent finish.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I don’t understand how the same poster believes Pears’ positioning is acceptable:IMG_1153.thumb.png.8c2fc5b695d0606885a4979c61ea5157.png

But this save from Earps was a ‘routine save’:

IMG_1159.thumb.png.333f190c5ee42d9fe37c77007ce6b19a.png

What nonsense.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 3