SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (a) - 2/9/23

Pears

Brittain Carter Hyam Pickering

Travis Wharton

Hedges Szmodics Moran

Gallagher

Subs: Wahlstedt, Wharton, Gamble, Buckley, Garrett, Tronstad, Dolan, Leonard, Markanday

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What a great little players he was. He pulled off a really difficult shot for the first goal and reacted like lightening for the header after the cross was deflected by the defender.

Speediiieee carried us to promotion on his back!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Speedie was an absolute gem for Rovers. So many players in the modern game should watch him and learn. Some terrible mistakes by Shilton in that clip too - way past his best

And he knew how to rile the Geordies up which was always entertaining.

Went to a game at Brum with a Toon supporting pal a while after Speedie was at Rovers and had ended up at St Andrews. The stick the barcodes gave him was relentless but he responded well by knocking out their keeper right in front of the seething horde.

And helping Brum to a 2-1 win !

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pears

Travis Wharton

Hedges Szmodics Moran

Gallagher

Subs: Wahlstedt, Wharton, Gamble, Buckley, Garrett, Tronstad, Dolan, Leonard, Markanday

Agree this will be team but Hill for Gamble on the bench maybe, is Ennis injured? hope we manage x2 good forward players (Hedges and Gallagher replacements) tomorrow and beat Plymouth - would be a very promising start to the season if so going into the break. 

Guessing the JRC playing further up experiment didn't work.. Could of had a RB cover as opposed to RW. Shame, he is injury prone though

1 hour ago, DackDackGoose said:

Agree this will be team but Hill for Gamble on the bench maybe, is Ennis injured? hope we manage x2 good forward players (Hedges and Gallagher replacements) tomorrow and beat Plymouth - would be a very promising start to the season if so going into the break. 

Guessing the JRC playing further up experiment didn't work.. Could of had a RB cover as opposed to RW. Shame, he is injury prone though

Ennis has a knee injury.

JRC has shifted into CM twice this season and bossed it - not sure why they're so hesitant to make it a permanent thing. 

After playing a counter attacking 442 till the subs against Watford think we will go back to a possession based 433. Team for me :

Pears

Brittain.   Carter.   Hyam.   Pickering

Travis.    Wharton.   Moran

Hedges.    Gallagher.   Szmodics

Would bring Moran into midfield to let Szmodics replace Dolan up top.

Edited by joey_big_nose

9 hours ago, booth said:

Plymouth fans seem a bit confident of 3 points considering their form.

Their only league win has been against a very poor Huddersfield side.

If my mate is anything to go by they're an arrogant bunch (when it comes to football). 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 2

Staying with friends in Dawlish, Devon. Just about to get up and ease into the day. I’ll be making my way over to Plymouth from 10:30 for a few ales before game. Looking forward to the game, just hope we get a good result. Not the best record against them if honest. This needs to change. Let’s start that change today. Come on Rovers!

• Like 1

Always nice to sign off before the international break with a win, I think we'll do that today too. As an aside I usually hate these breaks, but on this occasion it might actually be quite useful to get more players fit and also give new arrivals a chance to gel with new team mates.

From what I've seen of Plymouth they look quite sluggish at the back, if we move the ball around quickly and Adam weaves his through ball wand I think Sammy will latch onto a few, maybe Gally too assuming he plays.

I'm going for a confident 3-1 away win, both the aforementioned on the scoresheet.

Sadly can't make it today so spare a thought for me having to go to a family fun day at the missus' work, in Burnley! Sure I'll make my presence known and should just make it home for kick off 😇

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Always nice to sign off before the international break with a win, I think we'll do that today too. As an aside I usually hate these breaks, but on this occasion it might actually be quite useful to get more players fit and also give new arrivals a chance to gel with new team mates.

From what I've seen of Plymouth they look quite sluggish at the back, if we move the ball around quickly and Adam weaves his through ball wand I think Sammy will latch onto a few, maybe Gally too assuming he plays.

I'm going for a confident 3-1 away win, both the aforementioned on the scoresheet.

Sadly can't make it today so spare a thought for me having to go to a family fun day at the missus' work, in Burnley! Sure I'll make my presence known and should just make it home for kick off 😇

Just wear your Rovers shirt to annoy the folks of Burnley, done that whenever ive had the misfortune to be in Burnley for work related things etc

Spoke to a Brum mate of mine yesterday who said they beat Plymouth last week with a 95 minute winner scored by an Exeter fan! But it looked all game like Plymouth would take the 3 points, very good side, they really surprised him, break quickly and play with tricky wingers hugging the touchline as BankEnd Rover mentions above.

Tough game, hope we come away with something for the hordes making the trip to Devon.

On 31/08/2023 at 20:58, chaddyrovers said:

Pears

Travis Wharton

Hedges Szmodics Moran

Gallagher

Bang on Chaddy - maybe Hill in for Buckley?

Tell you what though, get Siggy, Telalovic, Hill and Ennis into that squad / team and it’s looking solid and pretty exciting to me!

Dolan, Leonard and Markanday don’t even make our bench when we’re all fully fit…👀

• Like 2

On 30/08/2023 at 13:25, lraC said:

Although it was at Ewood, the 1975 match always comes to mind when we play Plymouth. It remains the most enjoyable match I have ever seen in my life.

Hope we can repeat the score line, although this site might go into meltdown, if the scoring sequence follows the same pattern.

Those who were there, will know what I mean.

What a game that was!!

Good to see the front page of the Pink from that day. I'd forgotten about the missed penalty but was absolutely euphoric about the result.

So much so that I turned up, uninvited, at the house of an older work colleague - he was as Rovers mad as I was! - just as he & his wife were about start eating their Saturday tea! I just had to talk to someone else who'd been there about what I'd seen!

The one thing that bugged me was that, although the BBC at the time were contracted to feature - I think - 4 games every season from Divisions 3 and/or 4 on Match of the Day, that game clashed with the 5th Round of the F.A. Cup, which took priority.

I'd like to think that Rovers will end a week of three away games with three wins and without conceding a goal. So I'm going for a 1-0 win.🤞

• Like 2