BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sunderland (h) - 20/9/23 - 19:45

15 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I don’t understand our failures defending. I thought that was going to be the best part of our team. 
But we sell off Kaminski & Phillips. Those moves did not help us defensively this season. 

It’s not really the defenders’ fault. The style of football leaves us very open when a team counter attack. A different manager would have the same defence set up to have games end 1-0 either way. Pros and cons to both approaches 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bohinen1983 said:

I don't think it's that Leo ain't trusted, it's that Pears has earned the shirt last season- it's his to lose. you could drop him after one bad game but it'd kill moral. 

See Arteta with Raya - you play your best players. Otherwise why did we use our only paltry budget on a backup keeper?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

What a tired lot we became. No problem with the "game changing" penalty but we were far too tired and TM's game plan won the day. Rovers can't walk the ball into the net with no strikers. Ok we had a few tame shots but after our senior players had missed the target the kids could do nothing. 

Hate to say this but this is the worst performance by JDT and one that will live in many of us for a long time. Poor decision to by ref awarding kicks wrong way. Wharton was outstandingly terrible. Tony Mowbray will beat Rovers every week. We've a very weak squad and tonight proved it.

JDT made some odd subs, but to suggest Mowbray will beat us every week when we should have been out of sight after 30 mins seems an odd comment to make. 

If TMs game plan was to hope we miss guilt edge chances and give away a stupid penalty then his plan did succeed, but somehow I don't think that was it. 

They improved second half mind, but even then we were wasteful. Very poor subs by us and that's on JDT, but we were playing them off the park first half. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, booth said:

After watching the Plymouth match, the Boro match and this evening, I'm very concerned about our lack of strikers.

I have a funny feeling Semir isn’t going to be the answer to our prayers if JDT didn’t fancy him for more than 10 mins when we were desperate for goals and had no other bugger who looked remotely likely.

• Like 2

Some over the top reactions on here tonight... i thought we dominated early on and should have scored a couple at least. If we had, it would have been game over and we'd be in the top 6 now. Unfortunately,  as usual,  we weren't clinical at all and they punished us.

They score from a penalty and a corner that we failed to clear and after that, we didn't really look like getting back into it. 

Sunderland were nothing special but fair play to them, they stayed in the game, took their chances and I don't think we'd have got back into it if we were still playing now. I'm not sure any team have been that good so far this season. We're very average, along with most of the division.

Some people seem very quick to write off the new signings, but I think Telalović has shown he's not afraid to shoot and he will score some goals for us. 

Garrett and JRC were poor when they came on tonight. Dolan contributed nothing again. I think we start games very well, extremely attacking with 2 in the centre of midfield hoping to get an early goal but if we don't, we really need a third body in the middle of the pitch to protect the defence, otherwise we are far too exposed. We've conceded a lot of goals this season already. 

I don't think the manager should be criticised too much though. I didn't like his subs tonight but he's not exactly got a bench full of quality.  

It's a long season,  I would like to think we'll get better. If we don't,  we'll have a very mediocre season but we have a squad that is basically average/mid table. If JDT gets us anywhere near the play offs, he will have done a brilliant job. 

Tonight was frustrating, Sunderland were very comfortable in the second half. However, if we win against Ipswich, we will have had a decent week. 

Edited by welshrover86
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I have a funny feeling Semir isn’t going to be the answer to our prayers if JDT didn’t fancy him for more than 10 mins when we were desperate for goals and had no other bugger who looked remotely likely.

I don't want to write him off too early as he may not be match fit, but although he had a few moments on Saturday, he didn't impress me. We didn't need another player to develop, we needed a guy to hit the ground running and be our main source of goals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Exactly. We lost our shape and our way when we made the 3 substitutions and went without a recognised striker on the pitch. This despite Greg’s outcome to our summer striker search being sat on the bench. We were clearly the better side with our first 11 but as ever couldn’t take out chances. People are saying Wharton was bad because he wasn’t very good, but Garrett looked leagues below when he came on. 

4 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

JDT made some odd subs, but to suggest Mowbray will beat us every week when we should have been out of sight after 30 mins seems an odd comment to make. 

We  should but with no striker to score after the game changing pen we were out of ideas. 

Same old story, lots of pretty passing and lovely interchanging but terrible in the final third and also now far more vulnerable defensively.

Pears with yet another mistake, playing him IS down to Tomasson. Carter with a bad one too. Adam Wharton had a shocker, Travis was poor, Moran is not a wide man, Szmodics and Hedges both struggled when it came to the final pass and Leonard aside from a paochers goal was fairly anonymous.

The subs bench told its own story about the negligence from the owners. For Telalovic (who struggled in his brief cameo but was so short its hard to take much from it) to be ignored in favour of sticking the useless Dolan up top maybe tells a lot about what Tomasson thinks.

• Like 3

can`t complain about our performance tonight,we played very well,what is concerning  and a pattern is emerging,we are far to open and lose the ball in stupid places,just look at sunderlands third goal,we definately need to reign in our attacking a bit and play a holding midfielder,at the moment it`s a bit like watching ossie ardiles tottenham when he played 9 attackers😉id`e like to see more watford performances and less of tonights please,even though we played some good stuff

bye the way,is it a miracle that mowbray can suddenly organise a defence,the gurning,smoggy prik

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Boro won't, they'll sack Carrick soon enough and they will stay up.

QPR, Rotherham, Swansea ,Sheff Wed and Plymouth are the only teams that are likely to finish below us. And even that depends on avoiding long term injuries to key players such as Hyam, Wharton and Szmodics as well getting a decent contribution from at least a couple of the summer signings. Not a comfortable position to be in at all.

The difference between us and Sunderland is they can bring on Patrick Roberts compared to us bringing on Markanday. We don’t have anyone to bring in on and change the game at the minute. Garrett as well, my god he looked away off it.

I do think there is a bit of an overreaction on here though. As people have mentioned, we dominated that first 20-30 minute then the penalty kills momentum. Just not our night.

Roll on Ipswich.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is it luck or just a total lack of quality in the final third? Will those players ever start scoring regularly?

Some of them have been poor at finishing for 2 or more seasons now so I doubt it. Hopefully someone steps up like Brereton did.