BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

4 minutes ago, benhben said:

If we got £18m for Wharton, and reinvested 75% of that across the squad we would be a much better side. Any championship club has to accept that Premier league money cant be refused, and use it wisely. 

What leads to the demise of a club is to replace a good player with a couple of cheap unknowns and the rest goes to pay wages and cover losses. One way ticket to relegation, smaller fan base, even less income, even shitter players and so on...

Wonder which one the Venkys and Swag will choose......

How much extra would that be in wages? 

• Like 2

It's not unusual with big transfer deals for the pursuing club to first sound out a player through his agent to see if a move to them might be of interest otherwise the whole offer / negotiating process is a waste of time should the player not be interested.  If this has happened here, and I'd be surprised if it hasn't, the Whartons have seemingly not discouraged which is worrying.

As for a Carter move, any news yet when he, or Pickering, will be fit?

Edited by Mercer

18 minutes ago, benhben said:

If we got £18m for Wharton, and reinvested 75% of that across the squad we would be a much better side. Any championship club has to accept that Premier league money cant be refused, and use it wisely. 

What leads to the demise of a club is to replace a good player with a couple of cheap unknowns and the rest goes to pay wages and cover losses. One way ticket to relegation, smaller fan base, even less income, even shitter players and so on...

When was the last time we sold our best/most valuable player, replaced him with 3 or 4 cheaper ones and improved as a result?

Edit: If he goes, it won't improve us on the pitch imo even if a large %age is reinvested.

We need to squeeze Palace until they squeak on this one as it'll have a detrimental effect on the pitch so we need to at least max out the fee.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

It's not unusual with big transfer deals for the pursuing club to first sound out a player through his agent to see if a move to them might be of interest otherwise the whole offer / negotiating process is a waste of time should the player not be interested.  If this has happened here, and I'd be surprised if it hasn't, the Whartons have seemingly not discouraged which is worrying.

Undoubtedly Palace put the feelers out to his agent, I think Wharton (and probably more so his agent) would be mad to not at least speak to Palace and see what's on offer. It's Premier League football and a life changing salary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Carter from his own social media says he "is gutted to be ruled out for a while". No idea how long that means though.

Strange we havent tried Arber Zeneli for the kosovan international midfelder whos without a club. Elfsborgs seems interested. Hes 28 and has bags of quality and experience. He's done well for Stade de Reims and Hereenveen.

Scores alot of goals from midfeld.

Edited by neophox
  • Like 1

January is not the time to sell Adam IMO. Unless the club get relegated or he gets a serious long term injury, then Rovers can likely get a larger fee in the summer. Only way I'd sell this month is if he comes back on loan for the rest of the season. Particularly as I'm doubtful that we'd get any of the money to reinvest in the squad.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Undoubtedly Palace put the feelers out to his agent, I think Wharton (and probably more so his agent) would be mad to not at least speak to Palace and see what's on offer. It's Premier League football and a life changing salary.

I'm a Blackburn fan and I would take the first chance to move to a prem side. We can be sentimental as leisure fans, they do it as a career which could be cut short at any time. Would be absolutely mental to refuse premier league football and money because hes a Rovers fan. Its not his fault the club will use the money to pay off debts and agents rather than strengthen as a whole.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, neophox said:

Strange we havent tried Arber Zeneli for the kosovan international midfelder whos without a club. Elfsborgs seems interested. Hes 28 and has bags of quality and experience. He's done well for Stade de Reims and Hereenveen.

Scores alot of goals from midfeld.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/arber-zeneli/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/222876/plus/0?saison=&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

It looks like most if his goals were scored for various U19 & U21 teams in Sweden and only 3 goals in the last 3 years.  Dosent look like an upgrade on Siggurdsson or Dolan for the Left forward slot he seems to play mostly

Far be it from me to tell young Adam where his next move should be , but Palace? Not sure that would be the best for his career to be honest. Is he better than a mid table team with little to no chance of winning anything - sound familiar?!

I think he should sit tight and see what comes up in the summer. 

9 minutes ago, robfranlong81 said:

Far be it from me to tell young Adam where his next move should be , but Palace? Not sure that would be the best for his career to be honest. Is he better than a mid table team with little to no chance of winning anything - sound familiar?!

I think he should sit tight and see what comes up in the summer. 

8 minutes ago, J*B said:

3 years at Palace and if he performs the world is his oyster on his next move

I really would hope that If (when) Adam has to go anywhere, then its either Brighton or Dortmund with a healthy sell on fee.  Both have shown in recent years that they give youth a chance and can maximise the fees they receive in a short space of time. 

I cannot remember Palace selling anyone for a significant fee in recent years (edit, just checked and Wan Bissaka to Man Utd in 2019 looks like the last big sale they made for a huge profit)  and they recently lost Zaha on a free because they didn't negotiate  with interested clubs for years (sound familiar?)

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

A Wharton sale will come down to if JDT gets 85% to spend in this window.

If that's a NO , I can't see JDT or GB entertaining the idea.

The longer we can't get transfer fee money out of India the need to generate it from sales grows larger with the results on the pitch alarming.

True saleable assets are few and far between . Getting a million here or there for a first team player ain't going to generate a fund decent enough to attract better first team players.

It's a certainly a conundrum for the manager and GB I suspect 

Would Tomasson or Broughton have any say in whether a sale goes ahead or get any of the money to spend?  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, J*B said:

3 years at Palace and if he performs the world is his oyster on his next move

This is it. Whilst I'm sure Palace wouldn't be his #1 choice, he only needs to look at Olise and Eze to see that it can be a great move. Those two will be at a big six club within the next 1 year - 18 months (indeed Olise should have been there in the summer, but chose to stay at Palace).

1 hour ago, benhben said:

The funds won't be reinvested in buying established players because their wages are too high. Only players willing to accept a wage just a bit higher than League 1 levels will be incoming. That's the reality. 

51 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

When was the last time we sold our best/most valuable player, replaced him with 3 or 4 cheaper ones and improved as a result?

Edit: If he goes, it won't improve us on the pitch imo even if a large %age is reinvested.

We need to squeeze Palace until they squeak on this one as it'll have a detrimental effect on the pitch so we need to at least max out the fee.

1974...after selling Tony Field...nearly 50 (OMG) years ago!!!

• Like 2

If we get 10% to spend on the squad we should be over the moon. Can’t expect anything but another shitshow. Think this would be a good move for Adam and a good move for Venkys. Good move for the fans? Not so much. So tired of these useless «owners»

£20million, you re-invest it and it’s The Project/The Model/The Whatever We Are Now Calling It now in action. Textbook.

However as The Project is now dead as confirmed by JDT the funds will disappear someone between here and Pune (well apart from maybe allowing a few more hundreds Ks on a ‘promising’ defender from L2 and another 20 year old midfielder on loan from Brighton)

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, benhben said:

I'm a Blackburn fan and I would take the first chance to move to a prem side. We can be sentimental as leisure fans, they do it as a career which could be cut short at any time. Would be absolutely mental to refuse premier league football and money because hes a Rovers fan. Its not his fault the club will use the money to pay off debts and agents rather than strengthen as a whole.

Fans commit far more to a club than players do - supporting Rovers the last 13 years has been recognised as torture by the Hague. 

They get paid handsomely to kick a ball about for 90 minutes once (sometimes twice!) a week and know if it fails there they can always latch on elsewhere for a game. 

We're stuck allowing absolute cloggers to influence our Saturday night mood every week. 

Leisure fans indeed. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover

41 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

January is not the time to sell Adam IMO. Unless the club get relegated or he gets a serious long term injury, then Rovers can likely get a larger fee in the summer. Only way I'd sell this month is if he comes back on loan for the rest of the season. Particularly as I'm doubtful that we'd get any of the money to reinvest in the squad.

This summer is too late to get the profit into the 23/24 accounts. The last big sale was Armstrong which went into the 21/22 accounts. Big losses in 22/23 and this season 23/24 so next summer 2025 would be too late unless sold before the end of the accounting period - a factor that buyers would use to their advantage.