BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

2 hours ago, alex l said:

At the same time I'm pretty sure GB is on record as saying JDT approves all signings. It's also clear he speaks to the potential signing before the transfer goes through. 

Approves them is different to choosing them.

I think we all know it's a case of look there's this lad or that lad or nothing, pick an option.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Wharton is the club's golden goose.  If we are truly a 'trading club' to generate transfer fees, we are about to make a £20 million profit. 

If the sale of Wharton means the club actually implement the 'Brentford' model and half the fee pays for 3 or 4 very promising signings (that we actually own) - I imagine everyone would be happy.

It won't though will it?   It will just cover losses that Venky are unable to transfer over.  We'll  have a token 10 percent (including wages) to spend. 

After Wharton, there isn't much else worth buying - certainly none that premier league money would be interested in.  

The Wharton transfer is the only way the club bankroll their  purported 'vision'. 

From a fan perspective, he shouldn't be sold unless they are going to do that.  

They aren't though. 

Yes this is the transfer that should kick off the rebuilding of the squad with the aim of growing and trading into a promotion challenging team inside the next season or three.

But...

As usual here there is an excuse why this won't happen and the entire pot less wage and maybe 500k will be swallowed up in running costs.

The 'real' plan here by the tinpot operators here is to throw in youth, freebies and regular 500k + add on kids and put championship mins into them quickly.  Low wage earners can then be punted on after 2 or 3 seasons for a couple of million + add ons before they want a bigger wage and their is still value in their current 4 yr contract.

Other championship clubs will buy them and pay them more if they aren't good enough for big Prem bids and all proceeds less the odd 500k will go towards running costs.  Owners input gets smaller, running costs keep getting cut and those in the middle are well rewarded on their cushy number.

That's the 'plan' in Waggot and Shadows office, forget Brentford, promotion, significant re-investment it isn't happening. The only thing that will happen is to try and keep the club at Championship level as that is vital for the plan.

Low budget, low ambition, low buy/sell fees unless we strike it lucky with the odd biggie but Whartons like the Jones's etc only come along once every 15 yrs.  If you don't invest in some quality along the way yourself it's a long empty road.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

So seems like either 

1. We sell wharton and Venkys hide the money as it is too late in the window to spend

2. Dont sell wharton and rely on indian court system to bail us out

Is that right?

I assume the situation is more that the Wharton money would keep the club afloat for the foreseeable future rather than being ‘hidden’. If Venky’s were desperate to simply cash in and take the money, I don’t see why they’d reject the relatively decent offer from Palace.

Aside from whether any of the money would go on transfers, I don’t get the argument that we’re actively looking to sell AW because if that was the case he’d be already gone. Doesn’t mean to say we still won’t let him go if Palace or others start throwing stupid money around, but if they’ve turned down £18.5m then I’d be surprised if they crack at £20m.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I think we should have a BRFCs swear jar where anybody who says the word warchest has to put a pound in and all the money can go to keeping the Blackburn end open for next years carabao cup tie 😂

Can we add pacey winger to the banned list?

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

There is no financial advantage to staying in the Championship. I’m not defending any of the incompetence behind the scenes but I don’t believe anyone in the club doesn’t want to get promoted. Whether they’re going about it in the right way is completely different, but we’re haemorrhaging money in this division so it’s to no one’s advantage to stay here.

Sometimes the reality is far less interesting than all the conspiracy stories. We can’t dismiss what is going on in the Indian courts and clearly without Venky’s investment we’re struggling to get ends to meet. Doesn’t make them good owners, doesn’t excuse anything that’s gone before or suggest we’d be better off with them than without, but objectively it’s still clear that we rely on them to keep the lights on.

Wharton is a big test for the club and the first opportunity in years to properly invest in the squad but keeping the club operational has to be the priority given reduced cash flow. It’s a very fine balancing act but the fact they’ve rejected one decent offer suggests there is a desire not to weaken the squad simply for short term financial gain.

I know trying to have a more balanced perspective and not ending every sentence with ‘Venky’s Out!!!!!’ will get me labelled an apologist, but worth a try.

Of course that is the reality of it there can't be any denying actual facts.

However you have to consider those in the middle of the void who run the club for Vs and those (agents) advising them. They are were i think a lot of the problems lie as not only are they not fit for purpose but they are on a very cushy financial number and they know it.

Their number one priority is don't bankrupt the club and they are managing to do that so in the owners eyes they'll be doing a good job. So beyond that they have nothing to gain whatsoever by making things more complicated for themselves they stay in good wages by hitting bare minimum aspirations and targets.

And that is what they'll pitch to the ownership, a low grade model that's easier to finance -under normal circumstances- and easy for them to run and earn hundreds of thousands in wages. This is also the reality of our situation because if we are to be ambitious and aim to punch above our weight it needs to start with them.

The one thing were your description of the situation falls down is there has never been any real ambition or attempt at promotion nor any real desire shown. Money albeit limited could have been spent to help TM or JDT when they had the club so close but it wasn't, then the budget is cut despite them knowing in advance of the pending issues and not sorting alternative arrangements for funding in advance.

They just leave everything to chance, a lax attitude ALL the time never any proactive approach only reactive and often when it's too late.

If you really want or need something -i.e promotion and the money - as desperate as this club needs it them you have to at least go after it and seek it it won't just come.  Nothing here has ever suggested that the only intention is to as you say keep the lights on.

So sorry i don't agree that promotion is ever really the aim over low budget water treading because it's the easiest option to them all.

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I assume the situation is more that the Wharton money would keep the club afloat for the foreseeable future rather than being ‘hidden’. If Venky’s were desperate to simply cash in and take the money, I don’t see why they’d reject the relatively decent offer from Palace.

Aside from whether any of the money would go on transfers, I don’t get the argument that we’re actively looking to sell AW because if that was the case he’d be already gone. Doesn’t mean to say we still won’t let him go if Palace or others start throwing stupid money around, but if they’ve turned down £18.5m then I’d be surprised if they crack at £20m.

They were pushing him to go last season but he dug his heels in. He wanted to stay. Waggott wants to sell.

He’s 19, has his family close and living his dream. However the money being offered for him to disappear to a far away land (aka Palace) is madness.

If Rovers do sell for £20m it’s not because Waggott or the club held out. Thank Adam for that as he would have sold for a lot less in Summer.

• Like 7

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Shows his inability to be a CEO in all reality 

I’ll be fair, they seem to be holding out for extra now, but that’s only after they’ve seen what PL clubs value him at.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alex l said:

At the same time I'm pretty sure GB is on record as saying JDT approves all signings. It's also clear he speaks to the potential signing before the transfer goes through. 

JDT might give a nod of approval, but that is a world away from the traditional managerial role of deciding who to buy and who to sell.

I think team selections often illustrate how JDT views some of our incomings.

Edited by martonrover
  • Like 2

On 24/01/2024 at 20:06, Paul Mani said:

IF Palace have offered £15m for Wharton a week before the window shuts then he’s as good as gone.

£15m is a LOT of money, they’ve got time to push it to £20m and a sizeable sell on and really importantly, no “Love for the club” could eclipse a 5x raise on your new contract.

I wouldn’t blame him and no one on here could do either.

Thats assuming the bid has gone in….

anywhere but dingles or palace.  He should know his clubs history and palace  are never to be forgiven.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

in typical rovers/venkys business practice, palace will walk away cos they won`t pay 25 million then wharton will get sold for 10 million in the summer😂

Undisclosed fee.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Of course that is the reality of it there can't be any denying actual facts.

However you have to consider those in the middle of the void who run the club for Vs and those (agents) advising them. They are were i think a lot of the problems lie as not only are they not fit for purpose but they are on a very cushy financial number and they know it.

Their number one priority is don't bankrupt the club and they are managing to do that so in the owners eyes they'll be doing a good job. So beyond that they have nothing to gain whatsoever by making things more complicated for themselves they stay in good wages by hitting bare minimum aspirations and targets.

And that is what they'll pitch to the ownership, a low grade model that's easier to finance -under normal circumstances- and easy for them to run and earn hundreds of thousands in wages. This is also the reality of our situation because if we are to be ambitious and aim to punch above our weight it needs to start with them.

The one thing were your description of the situation falls down is there has never been any real ambition or attempt at promotion nor any real desire shown. Money albeit limited could have been spent to help TM or JDT when they had the club so close but it wasn't, then the budget is cut despite them knowing in advance of the pending issues and not sorting alternative arrangements for funding in advance.

They just leave everything to chance, a lax attitude ALL the time never any proactive approach only reactive and often when it's too late.

If you really want or need something -i.e promotion and the money - as desperate as this club needs it them you have to at least go after it and seek it it won't just come.  Nothing here has ever suggested that the only intention is to as you say keep the lights on.

So sorry i don't agree that promotion is ever really the aim over low budget water treading because it's the easiest option to them all.

But I don't get how appointing a quality 'Head Coach' of the calibre of JDT fits this model. It isn't just short term window dressing, surely? There are too many unanswered questions around this stinking mess of a club, and it is about time we got some answers 🙃

13 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

in typical rovers/venkys business practice, palace will walk away cos they won`t pay 25 million then wharton will get sold for 10 million in the summer😂

If Adam Wharton gets sold, it doesn't matter, for how much, what matters is, how the money is used to benefit the team on the pitch.

• Like 1