BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The issue is what we might have to pay him to get him off the books if as suspected he's on a 10k a week deal with 3.5 yrs left. Bolton won't just take that over so he'll want severance pay that's why Rovers need some sort of fee.

Plus we will have to pay up the rest of his signing on fee.

• Like 2

The correlation between didn't cost much and what you find you actually get is rather crystal clear.

So those who keep saying it doesn't matter well it does actually and it matters quite a bit when you end up with 3 or 4 on contracts and you can't get rid.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Bonkers if we've not negotiated him as part of the deal - massive missed opportunity there. 

We won't get any permanent talent from the prem.  Our wage structure is too low.  Unless the 'flex' comes back. 

Exactly the type of player we should be trying to sign if we actually have a little cash. 

Said it before though, nobody comes permanently that's not from league one or below or a European minor league. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, den said:

Consider these points.

Wharton wasn’t pushing to leave because he’d just signed a new, long term contract.

If rovers were wanting to get the best price for their best young talent, surely they wouldn’t sell him at the end of January to probably the only bidder. Wouldn’t they wait until the summer where the market is much bigger?

why would they sell him at the end of Jan when credible, quality replacements just aren’t there?

There are only two possibilities for me.

The owners are desperate for cash or they don’t know what they’re doing. I’ll go for the first option.

Thank goodness for den injecting some sanity into this thread.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

are you drinking some kind of strong cider,he`s awful on crosses,slow to get down on shots and flaps at everything that ball that comes near him,at 24 and at a price of nearly a million quid,i expect a finished article that can command his box and save some shots,the first goal on boxing day was a prime example,slow to get down to a pearoller that terry gennoe at 70 could have saved

Don't drink cider or any other alcohol Simon as I have said several times now. 

We won't agree so no point in debating it with you. 

You know what, I'd completely forgotten he'd only recently (as in, last fucking month) signed a four and a half year extension. End of January and he's gone!

Palace have not even had to try that hard have they? They come back with a few additional ones and we collapse like a Benghazi khazi in a force nine gale.

We must be right up the creek here lads.

I'm absolutely devastated he's gone. And we've not even fought to keep him. It's just so crap.

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Ennis arrived unfit. Kept picking up niggling injuries and since he's been fit hasn't been favoured. Apart from a goal vs Walsall and a good cameo in the 2nd game of the season away at Rotherham he's been awful.

But... he cost us nothing. He's on a long contract but I'd imagine if we were willing to waive a transfer fee we could get him off the books to a Bolton. So it's not the worst signing ever, it's just clogging up the wage budget atm.

Telalovic - I just don't see it, he'll never make it here imo, he's playing above his level. He was a last minute punt when GB realised we needed another striker with no budget available. His positioning has improved but the games too quick for him and he lacks the technical ability. At least he tries, can't knock him for that.

if we get mcguire in I'd happily let both go and write it off as a couple of bad punts. Leonard is better than both imo and would be 3rd choice striker. 

I see it the other way round, both have been disastrous signings albeit relatively low cost,  but at least Telalovic is fit to play and theoretically there might be some improvement in him although I'm not really seeing it at the moment.

You're probably right with your final paragraph though, although there's no guarantee MCGuire won't be bad punt number 3.

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Saddened to see Wharton go. Would love to have seen him develop in a Rovers shirt.

I wonder how he's feeling tonight....... celebrating becoming a millionaire at 19 or in tears at being sold by his beloved Rovers?

I think it's the latter. 

Wharton's  going points to only one thing.... his sale was in effect a fire sale by the club. Venky's are desperate for cash, working capital to keep the club going.

I don't expect one penny to be reinvested on incoming players

There'll be a token effort jim, the usual couple of cheap loanees PL Clubs are desperate to farm out for some game time.

Rest of your post is probably spot on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I wonder how he's feeling tonight....... celebrating becoming a millionaire at 19 or in tears at being sold by his beloved Rovers?

I'd imagine he's on rightmove picking his penthouse by the Thames and planning to live a right old life for the next few years....what a position to be in.  We've been a shell of the club he probably knew as a kid for a few years now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd imagine he's on rightmove picking his penthouse by the Thames and planning to live a right old life for the next few years....what a position to be in.  We've been a shell of the club he probably knew as a kid for a few years now.

He’s 19 - we’ve had Venkys for 13(?) years now. He knows no different than the shambles we are.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The correlation between didn't cost much and what you find you actually get is rather crystal clear.

So those who keep saying it doesn't matter well it does actually and it matters quite a bit when you end up with 3 or 4 on contracts and you can't get rid.

Call me old fashioned but when we sign a player I’d like to think he just might contribute something in his first season. When did it become par for the course that they should get a season to “ bed in “.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, broadsword said:

You know what, I'd completely forgotten he'd only recently (as in, last fucking month) signed a four and a half year extension. End of January and he's gone!

Palace have not even had to try that hard have they? They come back with a few additional ones and we collapse like a Benghazi khazi in a force nine gale.

I'm absolutely devastated he's gone. And we've not even fought to keep him. It's just so crap.

The thing that annoys and worries me the most in equal measure Bryan is that so far there's been no mention whatsoever of any sell on clause. In the absence of any such it turns it into a desperately poor deal for us overall.

If there does turn out to be the usual type of sell on clause I'm happy to be proved wrong but if not it comes over as though we had to renegotiate to waive back end add ons in favour of a bigger lump sum up front.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Call me old fashioned but when we sign a player I’d like to think he just might contribute something in his first season. When did it become par for the course that they should get a season to “ bed in “.

Or even a season to "get fit".

He's not even played any games to speak of.

• Like 3

3 weeks ago we loaned our captain out to a league rival. An inexplicable and unforgivable move that appears only more and more foolish now we are set to lose Adam Wharton to the inevitable PL interest.

If anyone was under any illusions as to just what a desperate financial state these owners (not FFP, covid, Indian government etc) have created at this club that decision illustrates it perfectly.

Of course selling Adam Wharton hurts and I'm sure within a few years as with Raya and Cairney we will be wishing we had held on for more, but fundamentally £20 million is a lot of cash (that should be a game changer to the club) and Palace are a PL club. The move therefore makes sense, it can be justified as much as we can debate and discuss the figures and timings.

The Travis one cannot be because we jumped into it to desperately get his wages off the books, leaving ourselves short on numbers and with no money to reinvest into replacements. 

So yeah, they were always going to jump at the chance to rake in millions, we're in such a state we can't even meet our existing wage obligations and are turfing out the captain to a rival to save cash. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

The EFL rules say your squad list of 25 must include 8 home grown players (and a match day squad 7)  but it doesn’t say that any need to be from your club.

There is another rule which says clubs must nominate a ‘club developed player’ on either their squad list or in every league match day squad.

A club developed player is one whose spent at least one year at the club prior to the end of his under 19 season.

When a subs bench was 7 the punishment for not naming a club developed player was only being able to have 6 on your bench - I’m not sure how this has been affected by the move to 9 subs.

Sorry for going so far off topic!

Yeh that's the EFL rules. UEFA's rules for continental competition are different, or they were last time I checked...ie, last edition of FM I played! FM20...it was always quite annoying that I'd be completely compliant in the league but have to drop someone from my European side, which they'd then moan about so sometimes I'd have to sell them.

There was also a rule that your U21 players were free hits in your squad registration in the league, but in European comps they had to have also been at your club for 2 years or else you'd have to use a squad space...and loaning them out stopped them accumulating time at your club. Very annoying when you want to develop a player who isn't ready for your first team yet. The loaning out thing might just be a quirk of the game, but the rest I'm confident reflects the real rules as FM are very very good at that sort of thing. But it may have changed in the last 4 years.

At pretty much any other club outside of the Premier League the sale of your starlet, whilst being a kick in the nads, would bring a sense of optimism about what potentially exciting signings may arrive and the path you may follow.

Here it brings a sense of dread of just how much we are going to be screwed over.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Ordinarily, when a Prem club comes in waving a load of money for one of our star players, we have to hold out for a decent fee but accept the inevitable. The player will want the money and prestige of the Prem, and often their contract is at very best 2 years from expiring. More often 1 year, or even 6 months, under this lot. Realistically there's only so much holding out you can do.

This time, we had the very rare opportunity of it being a boyhood fan of the club, with us for the vast majority of his life, and yet we've still had to just shrug our shoulders and accept a decent fee. In the January window with 2 days left, no less, whilst sinking into a relegation fight. And he was on a 4.5 year deal!

Where was this willingness to sell when Rothwell and Brereton's deals had nearly expired?! The fact we held out then but not now further shows up the club's lie that the finances aren't that bad.

• Like 7