BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry City (a) - 4/10/2023

1 minute ago, Hasta said:

No. I expect us to not lose 5 out of 6 including 4 on the bounce.

As an isolated results and performance it’s not that bad, but the bigger picture is that we suddenly look a soft team who don’t look like winning. To dismiss it as “oh it’s Coventry, what do you expect” ( who remember have only been in the league one year) is more head in the sand than expecting us to grind more than 3 points out of games.

Coventry haven’t been in the league just one year. Newly promoted Ipswich are second in the table. Not sure what your point is exactly. 

The big picture is we’re a good side but without the killer instinct. Hopefully Arnor and Moran can contribute going forward and not just Szmodics. Dilan and Dolan look like League One standard to me. 

• Like 3

Just now, rovers11 said:

If Owen Coyle or TM was in the dugout, then I think we'd see a very different reaction. JDT has enough credit in the bank for most fans after last season. 

He's a very good coach and he'd do very well with a team who can afford better attacking players. He's not the right fit for us this season given the squad we have. We need to be scrappy, hard to beat, and not give too much away. TM tried the possession based style of football and abandoned it pretty quickly as we were seeing what we see now - a hatful of goals conceded. We had better players then too.

If we play this style of football then we'll be bottom 6.

I agree he's a better manager, but some seem to shrug their shoulders and say it isn't his fault everytime we get beat. The biggest issues are clearly upstairs but we just seem to be absolutely imploding. 

Whilst I think we'll finish higher, I think that 20th is certainly underachieving

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

We just lost again? Do you expect cartwheels and confetti?

Of course not no. 

But we have no fucking fit strikers for gods sake. 

Do you really expect us to win every time we play with a team shorn of forwards? 

Bout time some got a bloody grip after a game and maybe have a horlicks and an early night before ranting. 

We all hate being beaten, especially as Coventry were no better than we were at the end of the day. 

We deserved to draw that game and I'm sure Coventry couldn't or wouldn't be to upset if it had ended that way. 

Just now, Torgeir said:

Coventry haven’t been in the league just one year. Newly promoted Ipswich are second in the table. Not sure what your point is exactly. 

The big picture is we’re a good side but without the killer instinct. Hopefully Arnor and Moran can contribute going forward and not just Szmodics. Dilan and Dolan look like League One standard to me. 

The ref cost us that game, along with Siggy being a greedy twat. 

There's isn't much wrong. Scoring first would help, but that takes us back to the lack of a striker. 

• Like 2

I've seen that game at least 25 times over the last half decade!

Pedestrian, pointless possession, false 9, 0.5xG, lose 1-0 in the 2nd half, usually last 15 minutes.

Quick Wiki search shows that over the last two (full) seasons we have had TWELVE 1-0 away defeats, thats ¼ of every away game we play - including:

Cardiff 1-0 (83)

Wigan 1-0 (63)

Birmingham 1-0 (60)

QPR 1-0 (83)

Sheff Utd 1-0 (92) (performance exception)

Reading 1-0 (78)

Bristol City 1-0 (82)

QPR 1-0 (54)

Wycombe 1-0 (67)

That is just the 2nd half losses, there were plenty other non scoring defeats.

Predicted it before KO, odds are we'll see this game again at least a few more times this season (Night games at Millwall and Birmingham?). Never gets any more enjoyable.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, martonrover said:

We have the worst defensive record in the League, and are hopeless in front of goal.

We are in trouble.

The kick in the balls is that the defence looked better with Hill in and Pickering out. We looked better defensively without Travis too.

• Like 3

Sorry, a team that keeps losing is not a good side. 
We finished last season in horrific form, and it’s carried over to this season.
I’m just waiting for the old chestnut of, “we’re too good to go down “.

We flatter to deceive. The table doesn’t lie.

Edited by martonrover
  • Like 7

Just now, Torgeir said:

Dilan and Dolan look like League One standard to me. 

I really don’t want this to be true, but I think especially when you have both on at the same time, this is true. Would probably do well in the league below and really cause trouble but there are some quality defenders here and I just haven’t seen enough to think they can do much for us at this time. Ty has dawdled on a deal and will probably be moved on, Markanday is at least a year behind on his development, basically, having been held back at Spurs and badly injured here. He’s also being asked to play wide when - as many on her have stated and I’m now beginning to see - he is only cut out for a 10 role.

Sigurdsson needs to be starting he brings a lot to our forward play but we lacked fluidity by the time he was on. Criminal to pass his chance up like that but I’ve watched excellent footballers at the highest level do similar or worse and I believe he has inherent quality to make the right choice the majority of the time. He’s got so much visible desire, as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He didn't even bring him on tonight.

Why would he sign a player with such an iffy fitness record for such a high intensity style of play in the first place ?

There's a difference between being fit and being JDT fit so surely any medical reflects that ?

He didn't sign Ennis. Broughton did. JDT has to make do with whatever scraps are tossed to him by the DOF, and you cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Of course not no. 

Do you really expect us to win every time we play with a team shorn of forwards? 

Bout time some got a bloody grip after a game and maybe have a horlicks and an early night before ranting. 

We all hate being beaten, especially as Coventry were no better than we were at the end of the day. 

We deserved to draw that game and I'm sure Coventry couldn't or wouldn't be to upset if it had ended that way. 

I don’t expect anything, but I don’t like losing, because, you know, I’m a Rovers fan.

People can rant as much as they like as long as it’s within the guidelines.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Of course not no. 

Not to be pedantic, but asking people if they expect to win every game looks daft when we are 20th and have lost 4 on the spin.

I get the spirit of the post and agree it wasn't as bad as it could have been but people are going to be pretty miserable at sitting 20th with 5 defeats in 6, especially after the hope (and crushing disappointment) at the end of last season.

• Like 1

Just now, smiller14 said:

Whilst I am miserable, tonight was a hell of a lot more encouraging than the kamikaze of recent weeks. It may be because Coventry are weaker, but we at least looked more solid and could have easily won. Still gutted though 

Yeah, it definitely wasn't 'suicide' football as someone on here described. We controlled the game for the most part. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Madon said:

8 points off bottom, 6 points off the playoffs. Can't see what all the fuss is about 🤷🏼‍♂️

It’s this for me Madon 

We will come out of this. Far too early in the season to be predicting relegation scraps. Many, many teams have been here before, including Middlesbrough last year 

I genuinely do think that this squad will click. Roll on the Chelsea game for me. It’s a serious chance to turn our fortunes around 

Gutted about today but so early on I won’t get carried away. 4 on the bounce is shite. But we’ve been here before. It’ll be the time for the more doom and gloom type personality to shine yet, for me, the turning point will be soon 

9 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

If Owen Coyle or TM was in the dugout, then I think we'd see a very different reaction. JDT has enough credit in the bank for most fans after last season. 

He's a very good coach and he'd do very well with a team who can afford better attacking players. He's not the right fit for us this season given the squad we have. We need to be scrappy, hard to beat, and not give too much away. TM tried the possession based style of football and abandoned it pretty quickly as we were seeing what we see now - a hatful of goals conceded. We had better players then too.

If we play this style of football then we'll be bottom 6.

And when JDT was appointed by Broughton, Waggott knew that soon after we weren't going to have a pot to piss in.

That's what you get when the CEO doesn't communicate with his staff, doesn't know much about football, and doesn't really care anyway.

Last few games shows that the manager (head coach) has lost it. Let's hope he can give his head a wobble and change things. If he continues like this we are going down.

Can't keep blaming the thin squad. We have some good young players. It needs a manager with a bit of (Warnock, Allardyce ) nouse. JDT needs to learn quickly and be brave enough to change his strategy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah, Ive put his drop in form down to him being put under too much pressure in the mad ultra aggressive way we were playing. But today with Hill in there we were much more solid, not too much pressure on him but he was really ordinary. Tronstad looked a better bet...

Sorry, completely disagree. We had nobody willing to take the ball on the turn as soon as he went off and we faded completely as an attacking force. I like Tronstad but he's more of a defensive shield than a playmaker.

4 minutes ago, smiller14 said:

Whilst I am miserable, tonight was a hell of a lot more encouraging than the kamikaze of recent weeks. It may be because Coventry are weaker, but we at least looked more solid and could have easily won. Still gutted though 

Personally I think one chink of light could be now that we have this more solid looking setup we can vary it with the more attacking one. So we have two gears and a bit of unpredictability.

But we really really need someone to step up as a number 9.

• Like 1