BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Preston North End (h) - 10/11/23

1 hour ago, Displaced Rover said:

(I don't know any Preston fans personally

and that is obviously a major factor in your thinking.

I grew up just outside Preston and my first job was in the area, so I was in contact with plenty of PNE fans. 

Currently, I work in Blackpool, but there are still a good few Preston fans amongst my work colleagues.

Not having a pop at you, personally, but the build up to games against Preston is always tiresome on here, with people posting,  about how much they don't care about PNE, that it's their "cup final", (which is evidently untrue if you work with Blackpool and PNE fans), and that it's just another game.

We all know that it's not our main derby, but it's a Lancashire derby all the same, and the attendance and atmosphere will reflect that.

Who knows, maybe the Blackburn End will be cajoled into using a little more imagination than to spend most of the game chanting about Burnley, 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, windymiller7 said:

They'll be moved anyway as we didn't do it properly, it's just basically white bin bags over the seats!

Agree that hopefully they'll put them back properly centralised - if anyone can be arsed!

Ahh I didn't realise they were just covers (although I guess that makes sense given how quick it was rather than painting it).

Have we not had fans up there since they were installed then? Like you say that gives them a good opportunity to do it properly (albeit Leeds will be back up there in 1 month anyway)

Sorry to go off topic, but how do we feel about our chances of winning and replacing PNE in 6th place? 

As usual, I feel it could go either way. We will come out of the traps at speed, but we need to be as pro-active in the 2nd half as the 1st half.

I'm worried he will feel he has to play Trav, after we were bullied at Ewood last season, although that was mainly Evans. 

We will run rings round them in the 1st 25 min, we just need to score, score, score. 

Lots of ale will have been taken so the atmosphere will be good, at least to start with. 

Really looking forward to it. 

Edited by garnersfags
  • Like 2

JRC will no doubt be a big miss for the next few months, and hopefully Scottie Wharton does better than his cameo in this fixture last season!

Wahlstedt  

Brittain - Hill - Wharton - Pickering

Tronstad - Travis

Wharton

Moran     Leonard    Szmodics

I'd be fairly happy with that allowing Wharton more freedom in midfield (I think we're better with 3 in there). Szmodics the only cert in the front 3. Dolan playing well in recent matches, and Sigurdsson should have the highest bar out of all so wouldn't mind if that varied a bit.

3 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

Yes - obviously just want to see us win every game in an ideal world.

I'll illustrate my point - I think I know the outcome of every dingle game, key incidents, background etc since 2000/01.

Whereas all the games against Preston (Jansen and 2017 relegation season aside) blur into all the other games we've had in that time. Maybe I'm from the wrong part of Lancashire (I don't know any Preston fans personally), it just doesn't mean any more than any other Championship fixture to me.  As you say, I could be in the minority.

Not knowing some annoy9ng little nobber probably means you miss out on the sensation of beating the pne..... i could maybe set of an adoption programme where those that don't know an annoying nobber could adopt one or maybe a family.... 

Our chances of winning this game improved drastically when Wharton's red was overturned. Not because Wharton is a brilliant defender but because it means we don't have to have a complete reshuffle and a makeshift back 4. Brittain would have been at LB, Pickering at CH, and Trav at RB. Chances of getting a result with that back 4 and GK that can't cope with crosses would have been pretty low. 

Tough game still, but I think we'll win. Preston have overperformed in the first part of the season and are now levelling out. We, on the other hand, are a good side and should have more points on the board. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

He's going to cost a few £m, have the magic money taps been switched on or just more lazy journalism?

Is he? Fuck that then, his record isn't outstanding in League Two. Not even in the top 25 scorers this season. Not even Wimbledon's top scorer this season, by some way. Young, but we're in no position to spend millions on anyone who isn't the finished article.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

The Burnley games are on a different level, as I'm sure are the Blackpool games for PNE.

There is more rivalry to this fixture than if we were playing Wigan or Blackpool, mainly due to the proximity between the two clubs and the fact you tend to work / encounter PNE fans more than other local clubs. Same applies with Bolton. The PNE game I see as an enjoyable derby.  You can go across, spend a full day in Preston, mingle and chat with their fans in most of the town centre pubs (as long as you are not being a dick head), and then enjoy the game. It's more enjoyable than Bolton as the Breezeblock is badly situated for a 'day out'. 

Whenever I look on the Preston Forum though, I do think that this fixture means more to you than to us.

To be fair maybe it does i want to win all games especially derby's...... as you say the Blackburn derby is not as fierce and is more enjoyable although i don't think i have ever been on a session in Blackburn on a match day.  Football fans are all the same bar they support a different team.

Back in the day when you where in the prem we use to jump off for a night out after Burnley and that was good fun....

My uncle tells me that in the 1970 both teams use to operate a bus to go to each others games when they were away from home.. my grandad in his day use to cycle to all teams in Lancashire simply to watch that teams star play......

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, superniko said:

JRC will no doubt be a big miss for the next few months, and hopefully Scottie Wharton does better than his cameo in this fixture last season!

Wahlstedt  

Brittain - Hill - Wharton - Pickering

Tronstad - Travis

Wharton

Moran     Leonard    Szmodics

I'd be fairly happy with that allowing Wharton more freedom in midfield (I think we're better with 3 in there). Szmodics the only cert in the front 3. Dolan playing well in recent matches, and Sigurdsson should have the highest bar out of all so wouldn't mind if that varied a bit.

That’d do me with the exception of Dolan in for Leanard.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, white boy said:

To be fair maybe it does i want to win all games especially derby's...... as you say the Blackburn derby is not as fierce and is more enjoyable although i don't think i have ever been on a session in Blackburn on a match day.  Football fans are all the same bar they support a different team.

Back in the day when you where in the prem we use to jump off for a night out after Burnley and that was good fun....

My uncle tells me that in the 1970 both teams use to operate a bus to go to each others games when they were away from home.. my grandad in his day use to cycle to all teams in Lancashire simply to watch that teams star play......

Point of order: we are Rovers, never Blackburn

There has always been a floating support in Lancs. We used to go and watch Burnley in the late 1960s and early 1970s, when Rovers were away or night matches, just to see some old First Division (Premier League) football. Always supported the opposition, mind....

7 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Our chances of winning this game improved drastically when Wharton's red was overturned. Not because Wharton is a brilliant defender but because it means we don't have to have a complete reshuffle and a makeshift back 4. Brittain would have been at LB, Pickering at CH, and Trav at RB. Chances of getting a result with that back 4 and GK that can't cope with crosses would have been pretty low. 

Tough game still, but I think we'll win. Preston have overperformed in the first part of the season and are now levelling out. We, on the other hand, are a good side and should have more points on the board. 

As a fan that's been to every game bar Ipswich away i can give you the following opinion....

Bristol away - could have won but drew

Sunderland Home - Could have lost be three goals but won

Sheff Wed away - Deserved to win against a poor team

Swansea home - a win for pne but draw possibly fairer

Stoke away - deserved to win and won

Plymouth home - could have easily have lost but won

Birmingham home - Deserved the win

Rotherham away - should have won but drew

WBA HOME - battered could have ben eight

Leicester away - hung in then easily beaten

Ispwich away  - poor easily beaten

Millwall home- home drew but could have won game in first 20 min

Southampton home - drew but should have won

Hull away lost but fair would have been draw

Coventry homes - good solid home win

As a quick rule of thumb most games in this league that we win we could have easily have not!

3 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Rovers v PNE has always been a big Lancs derby, same as Rovers v Bolton. Maybe it's a generational thing but the 'Burnley is the the only match that matters' thing has become a bit of a Millennial's meme!

I think a lot of this is generational. The fixture has been competitive for the last 8 years or so, but before then you're talking plural decades since you could last say the same. There's a whole swathe of Rovers fans approaching middle age (arguably already there!) who had gone their whole life without having to give a second's thought to PNE, whereas our younger fans probably take a very different view. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Rovers v PNE has always been a big Lancs derby, same as Rovers v Bolton. Maybe it's a generational thing but the 'Burnley is the the only match that matters' thing has become a bit of a Millennial's meme!

Probably more with those that grew up in the mid to late 80s when Rovers were always two divisions above all the other Lancashire clubs but the songs about hating Burnley remained. For a moment lets enjoy the thought of at least two of them having to win to remain in the league or even apply for re-election to the league. The millennials we were in and around the same leagues

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I think a lot of this is generational. The fixture has been competitive for the last 8 years or so, but before then you're talking plural decades since you could last say the same. There's a whole swathe of Rovers fans approaching middle age (arguably already there!) who had gone their whole life without having to give a second's thought to PNE, whereas our younger fans probably take a very different view. 

Possibly also about where in Lancs you grew up. My old man was born in Blackburn but has lived most of his life near Preston. A lot of his mates are Nobbers. 

Preston's the only match that he can't cope with Rovers losing!

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, white boy said:

As a fan that's been to every game bar Ipswich away i can give you the following opinion....

Bristol away - could have won but drew

Sunderland Home - Could have lost be three goals but won

Sheff Wed away - Deserved to win against a poor team

Swansea home - a win for pne but draw possibly fairer

Stoke away - deserved to win and won

Plymouth home - could have easily have lost but won

Birmingham home - Deserved the win

Rotherham away - should have won but drew

WBA HOME - battered could have ben eight

Leicester away - hung in then easily beaten

Ispwich away  - poor easily beaten

Millwall home- home drew but could have won game in first 20 min

Southampton home - drew but should have won

Hull away lost but fair would have been draw

Coventry homes - good solid home win

As a quick rule of thumb most games in this league that we win we could have easily have not!

Couldn't give a toss. 

Time to put the dingle cousins back in the box. 

5000 primark army ...the scruffs of nobberville

• Like 2