BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Birmingham City (h) - 29/11/23 - 7.45 pm

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

We could do to rotate occasionally though, think not doing could be why we pick up so many injuries. It's a thin squad, so options are limited, but I feel like Garrett has done enough this season to warrant some starts. Great exploits in the cup, uncompromising tackler, lovely assist for the third on Saturday and what I like to call a semi-assist for the second. Causes problems for opposition at both ends. I know he may need to work on his decision-making at times, but that's what senior games can do.

I see he came on for Dolan, where did he play?

Garrett came on and played inside right very well. I think JDT has come to a similar conclusion with him to Travis - not good enough technically on the ball to be a pivot, but if you let him press, cover ground and get into tackles he can be pretty useful.

Not sure where Garrett would play in our starting 4231. I think the only place he'd get a go is probably - as bizarre as it sounds - number 10. Or I could see us using him at left back if Pickering got injured in the same way we use Travis at right back. I cant see anyone displacing Tronstad or Wharton from the deeper midfield roles, and if one of them was injured I think Moran would be drafted in from further forward to keep that technical quality on the half turn.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Thanks, I didn't get to see the game, ironically because I was working a gig 6 miles away from the stadium! So I wasn't aware that happened. He stayed on though, had we already made our 5 subs when this happened?

Interesting, I knew we got one, but I didn't know the other team got an extra sub too if we used a concussion sub. I suppose he could still be concussed, and because we weren't sure if he was at the time, we didn't use the concussion sub, to avoid having to follow the full concussion protocol if it turned out he wasn't. Which I assume you still need to do even if on later inspection there are no signs of concussion, since it bought you an extra sub. Now, if it turns out we do think it was concussion, I don't know if the protocols are enforced but we would probably be careful with him anyway and maybe follow them out of a sense of duty to the player's safety.

It was our first substitution and probably after about twenty minutes. He did have lengthy treatment but a lot of that was  to bandage him up and to assess him I think. He didn't stay on. He was still being treated when we noticed Travis ready to come on so the decision to take him off was made quickly. In fairness he looked a bit groggy walking off but I noticed him celebrating with the other players in front of us at the end of the game. I think part of the protocol is a regular assessment for something like 48 hours after the incident but I'm sure Rovers would do something similar as part of their safeguarding policy.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It was our first substitution and probably after about twenty minutes. He did have lengthy treatment but a lot of that was  to bandage him up and to assess him I think. He didn't stay on. He was still being treated when we noticed Travis ready to come on so the decision to take him off was made quickly. In fairness he looked a bit groggy walking off but I noticed him celebrating with the other players in front of us at the end of the game. I think part of the protocol is a regular assessment for something like 48 hours after the incident but I'm sure Rovers would do something similar as part of their safeguarding policy.

I was referring to Carter btw, with that first part about him staying on, and asking if we had made our 5 subs at the time he got injured.

• Like 1

The sub was after 10 minutes arbitro and probably about 8 minutes when he was injured.

We made 3 of our subs in the 93rd minute, presumably just to give Leonard, Telalovic and Sigurdsson the chance to stretch their legs.

Carter's injury was in the 59th minute, so he played 37 minutes with whatever knock he had.

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I was referring to Carter btw, with that first part about him staying on, and asking if we had made our 5 subs at the time he got injured.

Ah right 🤣. Carter stayed on after treatment and the obligatory thirty second wait.

Re Hayden Carter - When he was being treated they heavily strapped his ankle and foot to restrict movement - to me it looked like he'd rolled it.

He was struggling for a while before signalling to the bench and going down. I think if we'd had options on the bench he'd have come off.

2 hours ago, only2garners said:

The sub was after 10 minutes arbitro and probably about 8 minutes when he was injured.

We made 3 of our subs in the 93rd minute, presumably just to give Leonard, Telalovic and Sigurdsson the chance to stretch their legs.

Carter's injury was in the 59th minute, so he played 37 minutes with whatever knock he had.

If we made 3 of our subs after Carter took his knock, and after we went 3-nil up, and he wasn't one of them, I'm going to assume he will be playing on Wednesday.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JamieUK said:

Re Hayden Carter - When he was being treated they heavily strapped his ankle and foot to restrict movement - to me it looked like he'd rolled it.

He was struggling for a while before signalling to the bench and going down. I think if we'd had options on the bench he'd have come off.

We did, we had Patrick Gamble on the bench. At the time he got the knock we were only one up, so I admit it would have been a gamble (eyyy) at that time, but after the 2nd or even 3rd goal, surely he would have been brought on for Carter if we had any doubt about Carter's knock. Even a few minutes of being taken off can make a difference.

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

We did, we had Patrick Gamble on the bench. At the time he got the knock we were only one up, so I admit it would have been a gamble (eyyy) at that time, but after the 2nd or even 3rd goal, surely he would have been brought on for Carter if we had any doubt about Carter's knock. Even a few minutes of being taken off can make a difference.

It's not so much being taken off could make a difference to an injury. But not being taken off, can make an injury worse.

Scott Wharton ruled out. Shame, I was hoping that goal would renew his confidence and performances, was a belting header. Hopefully he still kicks on when he's back.

Szmodics and Travis will get a one match suspension if they pick up a yellow. Could do without that, especially for Sammie.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

No mention of Carter being injured from JDT in today's press conference so hopefully he's ok, unless we are playing our cards close to our chest.

Only issue if so is Travis or Brittain at right back ?

Hopefully Brittain but I would suspect Travis. 

I would like to see us put in another attacker with more of an onus on us to break down Birmingham.

45 minutes ago, only2garners said:

They both need to get through tomorrow and Saturday. After 19 games the suspension kicks in after 10 cards

What they both need to do, is not to let the possibility of a suspension effect their game. Win the games, deal with the suspensions when and if they arise.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Sammie signed a new contract. Cheeky, committed, hard working, no fancy bolloxs just gets stuck in. And dedicated to the club. 

Love the guy. 

No fancy bollocks? Hes had highlighter hair for half the season! 

Agreed though great sign of intent resigning Super Sammie!

On 27/11/2023 at 16:26, joey_big_nose said:

Garrett came on and played inside right very well. I think JDT has come to a similar conclusion with him to Travis - not good enough technically on the ball to be a pivot, but if you let him press, cover ground and get into tackles he can be pretty useful.

Not sure where Garrett would play in our starting 4231. I think the only place he'd get a go is probably - as bizarre as it sounds - number 10. Or I could see us using him at left back if Pickering got injured in the same way we use Travis at right back. I cant see anyone displacing Tronstad or Wharton from the deeper midfield roles, and if one of them was injured I think Moran would be drafted in from further forward to keep that technical quality on the half turn.

I was thinking about Rovers whilst cycling home from work tonight and I got the feeling that Garrett would start tomorrow in the 10 role behind Szmodics.

I like Garrett and think he could develop into a useful player for us. Not sure why JDT is trying to turn him into an attacker but your suggestion of him not being quite good enough technically as one of the holding mids seems like a fairly logical conclusion tbh.

• Like 1

I quite like Garett too. Like others I don’t think he’s technical enough to sit deeper. The assist for Szmodics actually came from a mistake by Garrett. His second touch was a tackle, which he won, but on another day he might not have. The pass to Szmodics was weighted brilliantly though, although he did have an entire half to aim at!! 

I see him as a bit of a ball winner, make the easy pass and keep the game ticking. In a high press he could be very effective. I just hope he has more pace than Travis, who at times finds himself a yard or two behind play 

With Wharton ruled out I would go with Trav at RB and Hill centre half. The rest of the team unchanged. 

• Like 1