BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Birmingham City (h) - 29/11/23 - 7.45 pm

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Scott Wharton ruled out. Shame, I was hoping that goal would renew his confidence and performances, was a belting header. Hopefully he still kicks on when he's back.

Szmodics and Travis will get a one match suspension if they pick up a yellow. Could do without that, especially for Sammie.

Wharton has had a few concussions now, think this is his second in 2023. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

Looking forward to the game, we're playing some really entertaining football at the moment.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I quite like Garett too. Like others I don’t think he’s technical enough to sit deeper. The assist for Szmodics actually came from a mistake by Garrett. His second touch was a tackle, which he won, but on another day he might not have. The pass to Szmodics was weighted brilliantly though, although he did have an entire half to aim at!! 

I see him as a bit of a ball winner, make the easy pass and keep the game ticking. In a high press he could be very effective. I just hope he has more pace than Travis, who at times finds himself a yard or two behind play 

With Wharton ruled out I would go with Trav at RB and Hill centre half. The rest of the team unchanged. 

There was only one person coming away with the ball in that tackle and it wasn’t the Stoke lad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torgeir said:

Wharton has had a few concussions now, think this is his second in 2023. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

Looking forward to the game, we're playing some really entertaining football at the moment.

Still not seen it described as a concussion yet.

• Like 1

Thinking about Garrett I guess something we could do is move away from 4231 and go back to the 433. That would give Garrett a natural role on the left side of midfield....

Leo

Travis.     Hill.   Carter.   Pickering

Tronstad.  Wharton. Garrett 

Brittain.    Szmodics.  Moran   

But downsides are Szmodics ends up playing on his own up front, and I dont think the right channel role really suits Tronstad who is more of a sitter. And Wharton struggled when he was playing as a single pivot...

On reflection I am quite intrigued about playing Garrett at number 10... His goal involvement stats when he has played are really high I think. Dolan needs a rest. Leonard and Telelovic have struggled to physically impose themselves which is not an issue Garrett has... Ennis is injured.

Leo

Travis.     Hill.  Carter.  Pickering

Tronstad.  Wharton 

Brittain.      Garrett.     Moran

Szmodics 

You wouldn't really want to be a Birmingham defender on the ball with Szmodics and Garrett charging in....

Its a weird Xi with five players out of position but I can see it happening

• Like 1

Jordan James is starting to look like the player I always thought he would be. He’s local to me and went to the same school as my daughter. One I wanted us to look at when he was breaking through. Regular for wales now and will be one to watch tomorrow.

Results tonight would mean 3 points takes us above PNE and on the brink of the play off spots. 

Edited by Ricky

The squad is paper thin at the most congested part of the year. Hopefully we can get a few bodies back soon or we might be running out our u-21 side.  We’re at home so can be a bit more aggressive and attacking minded.  Not like we really have options anyway. I’d say we start:

Leo

brittain      Hill.        Carter    Pickering

Tronstad.           Wharton

Moran.               Sammy.              Siggy

Dolan

Edited by yankfan
Edit
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Still not seen it described as a concussion yet.

More than likely 'concussion protocol', from https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-mowbray-reaction-wharton-19365299:

"Tomasson was reluctant to say too much without a more detailed medical report but hopes the centre-back will be back soon.

"Let's what and see," Tomasson said. "But when you're coming off that early, it's not great. 

"We will wait and see. He got a big hit and when you come off early then it's not top-class, we know that. Scott is a tough cookie so hopefully he can be ready soon."

9 hours ago, Ricky said:

Jordan James is starting to look like the player I always thought he would be. He’s local to me and went to the same school as my daughter. One I wanted us to look at when he was breaking through. Regular for wales now and will be one to watch tomorrow.

Results tonight would mean 3 points takes us above PNE and on the brink of the play off spots. 

Isn't he the one that we were linked with as a potential Adam Wharton replacement? 

Birmingham will likely sit in deep and try and counter us with a direct style of play, well they should do as we struggle against teams sitting deep with big lads up top. Cant see much space for the Szmodic runs in behind so probably a game where an actual striker is needed to poach around the box...not that we have anyone of note to do that!

Leo

Brittain Hill  Carter Pickering

Tronstadt Travis

Moran      Szmodic      Sigurdsson

Leonard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, benhben said:

Birmingham will likely sit in deep and try and counter us with a direct style of play, well they should do as we struggle against teams sitting deep with big lads up top. Cant see much space for the Szmodic runs in behind so probably a game where an actual striker is needed to poach around the box...not that we have anyone of note to do that!

Leo

Brittain Hill  Carter Pickering

Tronstadt Travis

Moran      Szmodic      Sigurdsson

Leonard

Great selection. 

18 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I quite like Garett too. Like others I don’t think he’s technical enough to sit deeper. The assist for Szmodics actually came from a mistake by Garrett. His second touch was a tackle, which he won, but on another day he might not have. The pass to Szmodics was weighted brilliantly though, although he did have an entire half to aim at!! 

Agree with all that. Whilst probably an easy pass to make - the weight of it was absolutely spot on.

On 27/11/2023 at 10:19, frosty said:

The moment Lukas Jutkiewicz takes the first steps of his touchline warm up this Wednesday night....

No need to wait. He starts. 

Physical bombardment incoming,

Edited by Hasta