BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Wednesday (a) - 2/12/23

18 minutes ago, onlyoneDuff said:

Callum Britain certainly knows how to shirk a tackle...unforgiveable when we are in their half while chasing a goal...numerous times it happened...did he win one 50/50 ball?

He’s a passable full back but can’t play the advanced role, especially on the left side. Whichever role he plays, he has zero appetite for the rough stuff, he’s plain soft.

• Like 1

I suppose it was just one of those days. They happen, that’s life. Not clinical when we had the chances , not quick enough decision making in the final third and a few shaky moments and lapses in concentration at the back. Can’t fault the effort , the manager as usual had his hands tied , we won’t go up , we won’t go down and days like today will happen with such a depleted squad . File it under never mind and move on.

• Like 4

I listened on Radio Lancs. They mentioned after about 35 minutes that Brittain and Moran should swap wings. Also, late in the 2nd half they said Moran and Szmodics were "out on their feet". Why were Garrett and Markanday not used as subs? They are first team squaddies.

I think some blame could be laid at the feet of JDT and his assistant. We have an extremely thin squad right now and we need to use all the subs we are able to. It's not the first time this has happened either.

On 30/11/2023 at 10:52, MarkBRFC said:

Wednesday will be up for it after there last minute goal last night, and they are due another win.

We'll lose this 2-0 and come crashing back down to earth.

I read through this and genuinely wonder if anyone here  has watched/followed Rovers before.

It was the most obvious result of the day.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Will depend on results against Leeds, Bristol and Saints.

Leeds will muller us.

We aren't stretched, we are at breaking point.   I very much doubt we will get a single point from those 3 games.

That bench today was a feckin sad indictment of where we are as a club.

As capable as JDT is, he can’t walk on water but he may very soon be doing his version of the Lambeth Walk!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I read through this and genuinely wonder if anyone here  has watched/followed Rovers before.

It was the most obvious result of the day.

I’d have fancied us with a better squad but not with that bench. It must have been the weakest we’ve ever fielded by a very long chalk. Atcheson, Bloxham, Montgomery, Duru ? Who are they ? What positions do they play ?

No wonder the U-21’s are getting battered every week, they’ll all on the bench for the first team !

• Like 1

Hugely disappointing day which seemed a game too far for some of our players. The concession of a wholly preventable goal in the third minute undoubtedly gave them a lift along with the crowd. In the first period we were ponderous, played far too slow and wanted too much time on the ball. We still created chances though as we got in behind three or four times. We were better in the second half and our best period of play saw us create chances and then score. At that point I would have taken a draw given how we had played but we were hit with a real sucker punch when they got their second and it really knocked the stuffing out of us. I couldn't tell from where I was it there was a foul but there were certainty vociferous complaints from several Rovers players. Our bench resembled a creche and it's difficult to impose a real change on the game with youngsters who are still using Calpol. So we have to take it on the chin, get back to work and prepare for Leeds next week.

I thought the referee was poor today. He seemed to be trying to manage situations which from my viewpoint required stronger action. Bad tackles cannot be managed and in Law require stronger punishment that a talking to.

• Like 6

• Backroom

Leeds is an interesting one. They're in very good form for the most part, but lost to Stoke away at the end of October and also drew with Rotherham away recently, so there is some weakness there. They haven't kept many clean sheets either recently - only two clean sheets in their last nine matches, I believe. If we score the first goal then I think we have a decent chance of getting something from the game. We're going to need to really be on it defensively though, and lack of options from the bench, as Tyrone has been pointing out, will put us at a big disadvantage as the game goes on. It's a very tough ask, but then the entire of December is going to be with the amount of games and the limited options available to us across the squad. 

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Leeds is an interesting one. They're in very good form for the most part, but lost to Stoke away at the end of October and also drew with Rotherham away recently, so there is some weakness there. They haven't kept many clean sheets either recently - only two clean sheets in their last nine matches, I believe. If we score the first goal then I think we have a decent chance of getting something from the game. We're going to need to really be on it defensively though, and lack of options from the bench, as Tyrone has been pointing out, will put us at a big disadvantage as the game goes on. It's a very tough ask, but then the entire of December is going to be with the amount of games and the limited options available to us across the squad. 

We’d have a chance if we only played them for 70 minutes. After that not being able to refresh the team will be critical.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Our bench resembled a creche and it's difficult to impose a real change on the game with youngsters who are still using Calpol.

I've already mentioned that Garrett and Markanday could have been used but weren't. Calpol no longer used by those two.

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No Jim. Beat by bad ref. For JDT to lose his temper so badly shows how bad he was. Others have commented how shit the ref was today. 

The score line tells the story. We lost to the better team. The referee didn’t miss easy chances or give easy goals away 

Sorry to single out a player but Moran had an absolute stinker today.

Enormously unfair on such a young loanee but he has become such a big player for us and couldn't be replaced in the face of our injury crisis.

Even so I would have yanked him for Garrett. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We’d have a chance if we only played them for 70 minutes. After that not being able to refresh the team will be critical.

Agreed, it's going to be very, very difficult, but we just have to hope that Leeds have an off day in front of goal and that we can defend well - if we get to 70 mins or so and are either in the lead or level. There are going to be some tired legs out there, Leeds will have quality players to bring on, and we'll have no experienced players to bring on from the bench. It's the brutal reality of where we are right now, and it's going to make for a tricky December. If we're still within touching distance of the playoffs by the end of the month then JDT will have worked wonders, again. Sadly I have little hope that he is going to be buoyed by desperately needed reinforcements in January. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, philipl said:

Sorry to single out a player but Moran had an absolute stinker today.

Enormously unfair on such a young loanee but he has become such a big player for us and couldn't be replaced in the face of our injury crisis.

Even so I would have yanked him for Garrett. 

Did you watch Britain?

11 minutes ago, onlyoneDuff said:

Did you watch Britain?

Both him and moran looked knackered as did Leonard to a certain extent. Not surprising really. Hill wasn't at his best also. 

Only Tronstad, Carter and the Wharton brothers plus Sammy come out with any credit imho. 

We are a tired and much depleted squad and it wouldn't surprise me if we cave in during December early January. 

Exceptional circumstances to be fair and our supporters need to get to grips with it I'm afraid. 

• Like 1