BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Wednesday (a) - 2/12/23

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

There is definitely enough about Leo to assume he'll develop into a decent keeper and his reflex saves are better than Pears.  Other than that though there isn't much between them at this moment in time and both are open to 'could do better' debates.

However everyone has to accept this is what is going to happen with development signings. Days of getting an experienced top foreign league keeper for a fee and decent wage are long gone i'm afraid.

They don't seem to learn that that is the best way to actually make money to reinvest whilst also improving the team itself, as the TK signing showed.

I think also we have to accept the days of steady keepers who do all the basics well week in week out and command their area and defenders are long gone.  Look around the Championship there isn't much to desire in keeper terms.

Leo "Waltonstedt" ?

• Like 2

Not good enough against the bottom side and we got what we deserved.

Obviously the second Wednesday goal was dodgy and VAR would have intervened but the general performance was below par and for me the main issue was obviously the total lack of options available to us.

We used the least players in the league and then to the frustration of the manager have come into this season even less prepared than last. We needed to change things, Leonard followed up a good performance midweek with a totally anonymous one, we can't expect him to perform repeatedly 2 times a week, Moran was really poor and I don't like Brittain as a winger, in attacking areas you don't have much time and he always takes one or two too many touches to set himself. Yet we had nothing on the poorest subs bench I have ever seen, and we had to just persist. Telalovic eventually came on and looks like a competition winner.

Worryingly, it seems like none are going to be back soon so with such few options being repeatedly flogged, maybe more casualties are inevitable.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rigger said:

Why ? We will lose Hill, Morton and probably Adam Wharton. 

Completely agree. There's no such thing as building a squad over consecutive seasons at Ewood as we're reliant on loans and selling our better players for a profit every summer.

The longer this goes on, the more chance we'll regress so we have to take our chances when they come. And soon.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

After watching their second goal, its obvious a foul and how the ref can not see that is unbelievable. Yet again another poor ref at this standard. Time Howard Webb sorted this out big time

He’s too busy pissing about with VAR.

Edited by wilsdenrover

19 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Were you at the game?

Just seen the minimal sky sports highlights. Looks like keeper at fault for first 2 goals. Last season everyone was going nuts about pears but this guy is just as bad and should be equally criticised

Thought initially it looked like a mistake on the third but didn't have as much time as I thought to intercept.

Think his view might have been obstructed for the second and I switched on just after the first but will have a look.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

He was at fault for Brentfords 3rd goal yesterday. Think we just have to accept keepers aren't as good as they used to be.Personally wouldn't blame Leo for any of the goals myself

Funnily enough I never thought Kaminski was that great. Fantastic shot stopper but poor on corners and generally commanding the box.

Guess I am just judging by much higher standards from a bygone era.

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

Funnily enough I never thought Kaminski was that great. Fantastic shot stopper but poor on corners and generally commanding the box.

But were the ‘keepers of that era any good with their feet 🤦‍♂️🙄

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

I agree with you but our decline as been steeper, than that of the goalkeeping standards..

This present crop and several loans before wouldn't made the central league team ..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

Did Telalovic look more like a footballer than previous cameo?

Also suggests that Markanday is finished at rovers if he can’t get on the pitch with this injury and fixture list 🤔

He’s so far off it, he’s got a loan to Scotland written all over him. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I thought he was the best keeper in a good while. We have had so many second rate goalkeeper performances-since we sold Friedel imo...

Even Robinson went down like an old man getting into bed, as balls hit the net from outside the box.

The likes of Roger Jones, Jim Arnold, Terry Gennoe, Tim Flowers and Brad Friedel gave us the required confidence.

I think too many of our recent keepers are more the "Primark" Darren Collyer/Matt Dickens type!

• Like 3

As a coach i think he has got the best out of what he has and brought the best out of the youngsters he is developing.

Not sure anyone can argue with that and that is why he is here and why they went for someone like him, promotion wasn't even in their thinking (even if it was in his).  So in many ways he is doing what it says on the tin and doing just exactly what he was brought here for.

Young coach with pedigree and some fresh ideas and brave style more in tune with modern thinking and players.  The size and lack of a few more experienced heads in the squad are the major stumbling blocks to success and consistency there are no two ways about it.

I personally think there was a lot of naivety that he seems to be ironing out as we go along and for me his in game management still leaves a lot to be desired at times.  Other than that though every main problem at Rovers lies with those running and financing the show.  JDT not only suffers from the recent stuff in India slashing his budgets but also what went before courtesy of Waggot, Mowbray, Venus and owners not getting some money in or trading as they should have done.

If those who remain had the same drive and positive energy as our Head Coach and some of the players we'd be going places.

• Like 5

I think JDT reads supporters opinions on social media, because recently he has stressed that both he and the team are ambitious.

Unfortunately, as others have alluded to, the club and it’s hierarchy are not ambitious.

The club simply isn’t set up to succeed on the pitch, and as yet we haven’t even succeeded in buying low and selling high, (mostly because of stupid owners).

It’s futile and talk of us following the lead of the likes of Brighton and Brentford is fanciful.

The owners current financial issues make the medium / long term outlook look even bleaker.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

I think JDT reads supporters opinions on social media, because recently he has stressed that both he and the team are ambitious.

Unfortunately, as others have alluded to, the club and it’s hierarchy are not ambitious.

The club simply isn’t set up to succeed on the pitch, and as yet we haven’t even succeeded in buying low and selling high, (mostly because of stupid owners).

It’s futile and talk of us following the lead of the likes of Brighton and Brentford is fanciful.

The owners current financial issues make the medium / long term outlook look even bleaker.

An ambitious manager at an unambiguous club has only one ending.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, martonrover said:

Some good points here, but I believe Broughton will wheel and deal a lot more than we have been doing for the past few seasons. 

His usefulness or otherwise is definitely almost irrelevant compared to the sad stain on the club that are Venkys.

Its interesting that Glen found out that the buys last season were targets from before Broughton joined. Makes it even more difficult to judge him considering this summer was shall we say mixed but under ridiculous restrictions. I suppose he seemingly did identify Tomasson.