BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Wednesday (a) - 2/12/23

Having enjoyed a number of wins at Hillsborough including two 3-0s, here is looking forward to Rovers returning with all 3 points on Saturday afternoon. 

For all the Wednesday corpse' Lazarus qualities against Leicester and Rotherham recently I think deep down we know three things all have to happen for Rovers not to record a 5th consecutive win on the road.

- Wednesday have to play the best they are capable of

- Rovers have to be sloppy 

- Rovers have to miss chances, probably a lot of missed chances

Ok, so now I am worried...

The probability is the Wednesday defense will offer more early Christmas presents than Rovers will. We have to make sure we are duly appreciative and thoroughly unwrap them.

With 10 senior players unavailable I will still be more than happy with the eleven who finished against Birmingham and Garrett and Markanday are very decent options off the bench. Fingers crossed for Scott Wharton to be available and even more so for Dolan's scan. It looked a nasty one last night.

Here is hoping Leonard, Szmodics and company score enough to give JDT the option to blood a youngster or two off the bench. Sooner or later, Adam Wharton and Tronstad will score, even a Pickering goal? And Sigurddson is over due adding to his 4 to date.

• Like 1

Always go into this one with trepidation as it's been my personal "derby" for a good few years now.

We're incredibly stretched, Wednesday fans feel they're finally on the up and playing well, they got a great result against Leicester last night, have a lot of experience, and our youngsters will have to deal with the cauldron of a potentially bouncing Hillsborough...

6-0 Rovers Szmodics double hat-trick.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SBlue said:

Always go into this one with trepidation as it's been my personal "derby" for a good few years now.

We're incredibly stretched, Wednesday fans feel they're finally on the up and playing well, they got a great result against Leicester last night, have a lot of experience, and our youngsters will have to deal with the cauldron of a potentially bouncing Hillsborough...

6-0 Rovers Szmodics double hat-trick.

Yeah, they seem to like their new manager......saw a post on twitter showing him walking round the perimeter of the pitch after last night's match shaking hands with the fans. Seems to be trying to galvanise the support.

Could be a tricky game. 

• Like 2

Score first and get on top of them they get tetchy very quickly over there, no reason we can't replicate the Stoke game if we approach it right.

However they are just the kind of side who regularly upset our applecart and i expect we'll concede at least one set piece.

Owls    2      Rovers   2

On the whole, Rovers have been very bad a taking the points from the low hanging fruit away games for some time. Add in the fact that their performances have picked up under the new manager, will have their tails up after getting a point from Leicester and that we have a perfectly decent Championship XI sat on the sidelines, I'm not as confident about this one as I should be.

Still really looking forward to it though, their tends to be goals in our trips to Hillsborough and with the way that we're playing at the moment it's odds on to be the same. I just hope it's more like the 5-0 of a few years ago and less like the 3-3 under Bowyer. One of my least favourite games in living memory, that one.

With our squad stretched as it is, the run up to the New Year is not looking kind. Leeds, Southampton away, Hull away and even Watford are not particularly easy games to be having back to back even with a reasonably fit squad. Three points and a clean bill of health here would be a huge bonus. 

We are really stretched but can only see a Rovers' win.

We have enough ability to create at least 3 or 4 really good chances every game.

SS is in the form of his life and I think Dolan's injury will be a blessing in disguise as Leonard is increasingly looking the part;  Leonard's hold up play was very good last night, his movement excellent, terrific asssist for SS and a super finish for his goal.

3-1 to Rovers - SS with his obligatory goal and a brace for Leonard.

JDT is working miracles with one hand tied behind his back - long may it continue, however, I fear it wont be long before suitors are knocking on our door with opportunities JDT will find difficult to resist.

• Like 1

Philip - you forgot the 5-0 win we had 4 seasons ago.

I will be there but in the South stand with my Wednesday supporting mate, hoping for something similar. That game we were on the Eastbank and I have never seen so many fans leave a game so early as when we scored early in the second half to make it 4-0.

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

Philip - you forgot the 5-0 win we had 4 seasons ago.

I will be there but in the South stand with my Wednesday supporting mate, hoping for something similar. That game we were on the Eastbank and I have never seen so many fans leave a game so early as when we scored early in the second half to make it 4-0.

True but I was referring to games I have been to- wasn't at the 5-0.

Would be lovely to repeat that!

Hope the snow holds off. £17 open return from Piccadilly to Sheffield I thought wasn't too bad. Few beverages and 3 points hopefully to make it 5 away wins in a row. When is the last time that happened? I think we only won 6 away games all seasons last season. 

Rovers 2 - 0 - Leonard, Szmodics 

• Like 1

No Dolan I think will be a blow. I would've started him wide left here ahead of siggy. I felt Leonard in the 2nd half showed we needed a more conventional striker. 

I'd go with the team that finished the game last night:

Wahlsted 

Brittain.   Hill  Carter  Pickering

Tronstad. Wharton

Moran.          Szmodics.         Siggy

Leonard 

Alternatively if Wharton is fit I'd be tempted to put brittain right wing, moran left wing and move Hill to right back. 

18 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i know it sounds daft but id`e rest sammie and play leonard and telalovic,sammie is one booking away from being banned before the cut off i do believe,as much as their good result last night i still think wednesday are terrible and we should beat them easily without szmodics

time to release the big german☺️

The cut off is 19 games and Saturday is our 19th so Szmodics will have to tread carefully but I honestly wouldn't consider not starting him. Hopefully there is an opportunity to take him off if we get into a decent position.

5 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Wednesday will be up for it after there last minute goal last night, and they are due another win.

We'll lose this 2-0 and come crashing back down to earth.

I'm with you, this has got a Rovers loss written all over it. 

Chance for 5 away wins in a row. 

Playing bottom of the league.

Potential bad weather.

Current division top scorer riding high. 

Up to 7th. 

• Like 1

If we’d anything like a decent squad to call on I’d fancy us for the three points. But we’re down to basically the last eleven plus kids. Every game we’ve played recently we’ve lost a player. And not for the odd game either, long term injuries. We need some players back urgently. We can’t expect the same 13 or so players to keep performing under these circumstances. I’d take a draw now, remember draws ?

• Like 2