BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 12/12/23

18 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Not sure what you mean by 'control games'? 

It's an injury ravaged squad who were out on their feet the last 30 mins last night. BCFC didn't lay a glove on us for the preceding 60 mins. 

And then put us under pressure for the remaining 30 because of our players thinking they are Brasil or something. 

If we'd have booted the ball to the opposition corner flag it would have been a better option than playing the most obvious pass in the world to a man who's got two behind him. 

Why are we taking risks when 2 or 3 nil up and cruising?

2 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

And then put us under pressure for the remaining 30 because of our players thinking they are Brasil or something. 

If we'd have booted the ball to the opposition corner flag it would have been a better option than playing the most obvious pass in the world to a man who's got two behind him. 

Why are we taking risks when 2 or 3 nil up and cruising?

That's how they're told to play. Risk v reward. Considering what he has to work with, injury crisis, lack of spending, and also considering the league position both this season and last, it's working. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 2

Playing out from the back, drawing the opposition in, is a key part to how we play.

We have improved massively in our ability of doing so since this manager came in, if we want it to improve further, we are gonna need a higher standard of player which we not able to afford.

This style isn't going anywhere with this manager, occasionally will get caught out and although not good for the ticker, overall I am loving the style of football.. given everything combined.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Leading 2-0 and then one of those stupid fannying around efforts close to our own goal gifted them their chance to get back in the game. Then, with our record of conceding late ones, its all nerves and praying for the final whistle.

For God's sake, when in trouble clear your lines and regroup.

We weren’t even in trouble. We had time on the ball and a player wide open in the right wing position. It was the easiest pass in the world to make. Just slide the ball out to him. Look at the highlight reel, especially the view from behind the goal. The lad is stood there, on his own, just waiting for a pass. Why we then decided to pass the ball into heavy traffic and a real danger area is a mystery to me.

• Like 6

Rovers and JDT got the win despite not the best performance..we played better and lost. Midweek championship games are about getting the job done. 

2 good goals and we conceded a poor one.

Tronstad my player of the match. Wahlstedt had a good game. Sigurdsson good also. 

Good to see Ennis played 45 mins 

Let's go and positive result at Southampton 

3 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Not sure what you mean by 'control games'? 

It's an injury ravaged squad who were out on their feet the last 30 mins last night. BCFC didn't lay a glove on us for the preceding 60 mins. 

That is mainly due to the fact that Bristol were as bad as we were. Both teams ball retention was absolutely awful.

There was a really good example with maybe 10 mins to go of the potential effect of hoofing it in to the corner to compare against playing out. (this example is caveated with our side being knackered and several tactical changes having been made)

Wahlstedt sent one over the top of everyone, giving possession right back to them. they then had space to drive at pace into our half unopposed; this drew our players in, creating space for them to play into and ended up drawing a brilliant save from Wahlstedt.

Now I'm not saying that the high risk stuff we play at times is always the best decision however there were a couple of occasions last night (not just this) where playing the ball long for it to come straight back at you has greater risk of creating chances than playing out from the back. More often than not when playing out you're doing so with an overload position, against largely static opposition. Surrendering the ball by playing long often means you're defending against more players, at higher speed and with runners beyond the ball.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

There was a really good example with maybe 10 mins to go of the potential effect of hoofing it in to the corner to compare against playing out. (this example is caveated with our side being knackered and several tactical changes having been made)

Wahlstedt sent one over the top of everyone, giving possession right back to them. they then had space to drive at pace into our half unopposed; this drew our players in, creating space for them to play into and ended up drawing a brilliant save from Wahlstedt.

Now I'm not saying that the high risk stuff we play at times is always the best decision however there were a couple of occasions last night (not just this) where playing the ball long for it to come straight back at you has greater risk of creating chances than playing out from the back. More often than not when playing out you're doing so with an overload position, against largely static opposition. Surrendering the ball by playing long often means you're defending against more players, at higher speed and with runners beyond the ball.

And then you look at their goal.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

There's a difference between a keeper who has time and options hoofing it long, and when one of our full backs is being closed down near the corner flag and plays it to a midfielder in our own area who is also got a man right behind him. Sometimes you feel players play a pass when they are in trouble because if they do go long it will be a black mark against them from the coaching staff. If a player is feeling he is in trouble in his own defensive third he should be comfortable just clearing his lines.

As @Tyrone Shoelacessays above, this doesnt really apply to last night because Carter wasn't in trouble. It was just a poor choice of ball in to Moran and a poor layoff off by Moran. 

On the game, I also thought both full backs did well. Brittain has looked lost on the left side recently but was far more like his normal self back on the right side. And in that last 30 minutes a lot of pressure come down Pickering's side and I thought he coped pretty well. Those two with Tronstadt and Wahlsted were my star performers..

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, booth said:

That's on Moran though, he was poor last night. I wouldn't be surprised if he's benched on Saturday.

It's definitely way more on Carter (think that's who it was) for choosing the suicide ball to him instead of the easy ball to the unmarked lad out to the right. I also thought Wahlstedt was slightly culpable, although it should never have come to that anyway.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

Scott Wharton was struggling with an injury just before he was substituted. His movement was definitely impaired although I noticed him on the pitch at full time. Hopefully precautionary as I thought last night was his best game for some time.

I thought it was the best he’s ever played in a back 4.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It's definitely way more on Carter (think that's who it was) for choosing the suicide ball to him instead of the easy ball to the unmarked lad out to the right. I also thought Wahlstedt was slightly culpable, although it should never have come to that anyway.

I'd say it's more on Moran who had been passing the ball like that all night, but Carter isn't blameless. No need to even pass it to a player in danger, who clearly wasn't having a good game. You wonder if some footballers use their brain at all.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Well.... I don't think the suicide ball was an unintended mistake. We play that pass into marked midfielders quite frequently. The burden seems to be on the receiver (usually Wharton, Tronstad or Moran) to take the ball, beat the marker and make a pass. Or if they are under too much pressure bounce the ball back to the defender with a controlled touch.

So in the way we play not sure Carter would have been perceived as doing anything wrong.