BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Southampton (a) - 16/12/23

We absolutely know where blame lies…

…and I really like JDT…

But I do see that he could be a little more flexible at times in selection.

So, if we accept that today is a ‘cool off’, see ‘if we can nick a draw’ type of game then why not freshen up personnel? Utilise Trav (don’t say he is sh**e –he could do a job), utilise Garret, Ennis for a half, Hill at centre back. Of course, if you are going to concede dross like the first goal and get sent off for stupidity then really any game plan is moot.

As to the notion that JDT has run his course and it’s time to look elsewhere. I see it. Get in a seasoned pro who will buy experience and toughen up the team. So the interview for the job goes:-

SW: Right, you can have no cash for transfers other than what you sell and what we can get in for free or on loan, the owners in India might at any moment cut funding even more, I as CEO don’t care what you do so long as I keep my job, the present backroom staff have to keep their jobs,  you can’t bring in any of your own team and any money you generate from player sales (eg good academy players) will go towards keeping the lights on and btw we might sell the training complex if I can sort it.

Prospective managers of any quality: Bye Steve

Prospective managers who are desperate or has-beens or useless: OK Steve

• Like 6

Personally I didn’t mind JDT’s rope-a-dope Swansea away tactics, but it does depend on defenders defending well. Hill got rinsed at fullback, with no help from the awful Brittain, and I put the first (and fourth) goals down to Wharton Snr.

Moran to me is an academy player who only shines through his talent against poor opponents, against experienced good players he doesn’t know how to fight to earn the right to play.

Brittain should be fined two weeks wages and the money used to refund the travelling fans. First booking, shirt tug 80 yards from our goal, was almost as brainless as the second. If JDT really means Team First then there have to be consequences for the sending off.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

This season is all about financial stability and it stinks. High price ST, closure of BBNEND partly due to a out of his depth CEO, the mismanagement of Rothwell & Raya resulting in a crap transfer window that saw the embarrassing O'brien episode, arrival of unfit Ennis & signing of Leo. We have to put a 15 kid on the bench and field a wafer thin knackered first team that only suits attendances of 8,000.

We have owners who don't know what they are doing so how long will this go on? Is the writing on the wall? January transfer window approaching but with no money this season will end towards the championship bottom with no investment for next season. 

I’m not debating whether the club is being well run but don’t think there’s a need to bring Raya and Rothwell up given we’ve signed up our best players to new contracts recently. I’d also suggest the signing of Leo is hardly a stick to beat the current regime with.

JDT still needs to have a plan B-particularly when the players are tired out by the normal high-press of games gone-by. 

Leo came out of the game with a bit of credit by me-the only encouraging thing on show.

Reminds me of when we lost at Ewood to the Dingles in a League-Cup tie and only Lenihan & Raya(as a very young goalie)stood up to be counted. 

1 minute ago, harryhealless1928 said:

JDT still needs to have a plan B-particularly when the players are tired out by the normal high-press of games gone-by. 

Leo came out of the game with a bit of credit by me-the only encouraging thing on show.

Reminds me of when we lost at Ewood to the Dingles in a League-Cup tie and only Lenihan & Raya(as a very young goalie)stood up to be counted. 

He did well overall, but their first goal was pathetic from a keeper's point of view. 

Really poor to concede like that just before half time. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, aletheia said:

As to the notion that JDT has run his course and it’s time to look elsewhere. I see it. Get in a seasoned pro who will buy experience and toughen up the team

I still think he is doing a good job, under the circumstances. Today was a reality check.

I mentioned a few days ago about a seasoned, wily wheeler dealer being better suited to the constraints we are working under.

At a club that was skint but well run, that could work with the right appointment.

Alas, this is Venkys Rovers, and we will continue with the vanity project, with an inexperienced DOF signing random players, (and not enough to mitigate for all our injuries), and chucking them at the Head Coach.

Even if we did go back to a more old fashioned structure, ie a manager, we would no doubt make another terrible appointment.

Edited by martonrover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Dodgy stick let me down today (possibly helped me out), but not great to see us absolutely shit the bed again.

Looks like Brittain fancied Christmas off, bless him. Like the old David Dunn late December 5th booking of old.

We tend to play in extremes, either tremendous, or just playing like it’s our first ever time kicking a ball.

Incredibly frustrating.

I Think hes gone a game early only 1 game for 2 yellows

25 minutes ago, booth said:

And they can't sell the club due to the amount of debt they created, and aren't willing to write off. So we're stuck with them as no one  else will take on the £150m plus debt. They've manufactured an impossible situation all round.

I don’t think they will have any other option than to write the debt off, whether they like it or not.

I sense the authorities in India are going to come down on them like a ton of bricks and force their hand.

It will either be sell it or administration and I don’t think it’s far off.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, aletheia said:

s to the notion that JDT has run his course and it’s time to look elsewhere. I see it. Get in a seasoned pro who will buy experience and toughen up the team. So the interview for the job goes:-

He'd still have the same players, the same injury list, the same lack of a striker. the same paltry budget compared to most in the league

And who did you have in mind? There are lots of seasoned pro's out there who are out of work because they aren't very good at their job. Maybe Mowbray, Steve Bruce?

Or maybe Owen Coyle, Paul Lambert?

Some of you are absolutely fucking delusional if you think it's getting better than this under these conditions. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, lraC said:

I don’t think they will have any other option than to write the debt off, whether they like it or not.

I sense the authorities in India are going to come down on them like a ton of bricks and force their hand.

I hope so.

14 minutes ago, lraC said:

i hope so ,i would take a place in the west lancashire league if it meant getting rid of the indians

• Like 3

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

i hope so ,i would take a place in the west lancashire league if it meant getting rid of the indians

Rather that that being in the West Lancashire league with them.

We are definitely on a downward trajectory, JDT's project has been thrown in the bin, so kindly fuck off Venkys.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

The reaction next week is arguably more significant than todays result. Anything like a repeat of today, we’re in trouble.

we were never going to get anything out of today,a combination of a small squad and recently a lot of games really handicapped us,we`ll be better with a weeks rest and a home game

• Like 4

We have seen shambolic window after shambolic window, a bottom half budget and as a result a small, inexperienced squad.

So guess what we’ll get plenty of beatings from these kinds of parachute clubs.

It is what it is, I’m not going to hand wring after such games. On the flip side we could well have a decent Christmas period with the games we have coming up against ‘normal’ Championship sides.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

No shame in losing at Southampton. They have a better team and squad than us, for a number of reasons, and they have dealt with pretty much everyone who has gone there this season, apart from Leicester and Ipswich. 

What is really annoying me is the number of goals we are shipping. People will make out that Southampton are dismantling all they come up against but in reality their wins at home have usually been tight affairs decided by a goal or two.

2-1 v QPR, 3-1 v Leeds, 1-1 v Rotherham, 3-1 v Birmingham, 2-1 v WBA, 1-0 v Bristol, 2-0 v Cardiff

We break new ground by shipping 4.

I don't believe this is all down to Dominic Hyam being injured, and if it is I think that is arguably more worrying that we are so reliant on his presence to stop the flow of goals. 

38 goals conceded in 22 games. Only Rotherham and Norwich have let more in. 11 defeats in 22 games, only the bottom 3 have lost more. These are deeply alarming statistics for me, they suggest a big problem somewhere.

Yeah.. we're playing in a high risk high reward sort of way... When it pays off it looks great. When things start going against you very quickly starts looking like the wheels have come off.

A very minor plus is every one of these results puts the notion that anyone is going to take JDT off us further away. These frequent losses and high number of goals conceded is going to drive suitors (and I dont think there are many to be honest) away.

JDT needs Rovers to be successful if he wants to push on with his career.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lraC said:

Bring it on.

One other thing. I'm beginning to criticise JDT. Regardless of a small squad and no money to sign strikers, he hasn't got a clue as to change or manage a game or personnel for that matter. When players are knackered, get them off the pitch and give some teenagers a chance with fresh legs. Reorganise the defence. Reorganise the formation. Change the way we play. Swap wingers etc. etc.  Unfortunately JDT doesn't seem to be able to do this.

I still blame owners and Waggot for a lot but JDT is coming across as rather incompetent, game after game.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

A very minor plus is every one of these results puts the notion that anyone is going to take JDT off us further away. These frequent losses and high number of goals conceded is going to drive suitors (and I dont think there are many to be honest) away.

We're 8th in the form table over the last 10 games. We've conceded 2 more than Ipswich in that time. 

We've also got 6 or 7 first teamers missing, and a squad that cost less than many in the league.

Potential suitors will apply context to the job he has done. That's the intelligent thing to do. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

No shame in losing at Southampton. They have a better team and squad than us, for a number of reasons, and they have dealt with pretty much everyone who has gone there this season, apart from Leicester and Ipswich.

Sunderland did OK as well, winning 5-0.

I think I’d remember that it was only 2-0 going into injury time and that was us playing with 10 men for 45 minutes. That is not to praise Rovers, but to caution against suggesting that Southampton are some all conquering machine. I would have them as maybe play-off contenders but not much chance of automatic promotion.