BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Southampton (a) - 16/12/23

42 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

50% loss rate this season

24 games to get 19 points to take us to 50. On that loss ratio we need 19 points from twelve games and we'd better hope that some of our wins don't start turning into draws.

Thats a realistic assessment of where this season is heading now. Looking down rather than up. From the fixture list it's not a gimme to get 6 wins and a draw. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

No shame in losing at Southampton. They have a better team and squad than us, for a number of reasons, and they have dealt with pretty much everyone who has gone there this season, apart from Leicester and Ipswich. 

What is really annoying me is the number of goals we are shipping. People will make out that Southampton are dismantling all they come up against but in reality their wins at home have usually been tight affairs decided by a goal or two.

2-1 v QPR, 3-1 v Leeds, 1-1 v Rotherham, 3-1 v Birmingham, 2-1 v WBA, 1-0 v Bristol, 2-0 v Cardiff

We break new ground by shipping 4.

I don't believe this is all down to Dominic Hyam being injured, and if it is I think that is arguably more worrying that we are so reliant on his presence to stop the flow of goals. 

38 goals conceded in 22 games. Only Rotherham and Norwich have let more in. 11 defeats in 22 games, only the bottom 3 have lost more. These are deeply alarming statistics for me, they suggest a big problem somewhere.

You are right. There is a big problem, in fact there are two very big problems, the owners and the CEO are strangling the club and knocking the stuffing out of the fans. 

• Like 8

Depressing watch, we wasnt competitive with 11 men but a moment of unacceptable idiocy by Brittain (who had been having another shocker out wide) led to us being hammered.

One thing I do not agree with is why Szmodics was kept on. Hes clearly knackered, as soon as they score a second, get him off and rested up.

We were uncompetitive even with 11, couldnt keep the ball and the starting line up was massively imbalanced and we offered absolutely no threat. I dont think anyone comes out of the game with any credit. Wahlstedt made some good saves but is a typical modern day keeper, decent with his feet and agile but he was at fault for the first because he simply cant handle crosses.

10 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

We've got some winnable games coming up

Watford aren’t going to be short of confidence after today.

Thank goodness we won on Tuesday.

Surely even the most optimistic will now realise the play offs are a pipe dream this season.

I hate to think where we’ll be this time next season.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

9I can't really think of many positives from that, a day where nothing went right for us.

Truth be told we never laid a glove on southampton with 11 men. We allowed them good possession and field position without an effective out ball and countering threat. We were never going to out play them at their place but I still felt the game plan didn't really help. I suppose that is on JDT who I remain a big fan of.

Some really tired performances, mentally and physically. All that exacerbated by a moment of pure petulance from Brittain who has let himself and his team down with that stupidity. He got booked on Tuesday for doing pretty much the same thing so I do wonder if there's something going on with him personally or if he's just bloody thick. If I was JDT I'd ask him to find his own way home. 

We've got some winnable games coming up and hopefully a few players to come back so I'm clinging to that right now.

Apart from Rotherham at home in New Year I don't see much coming from a resurgent Watford at home followed by two away at Hudds and Hull. 

We were never winning this, which is part of the problem. We are now writing off games in the championship because either we're so weak or the opposition have parachute payments, a valid argument but basically conceding defeat before a ball is kicked.

The club is on its knees as the owners continue to strangle us and the CEO lays out the least ambitious plans a club has ever presented. 

Mid-lower table and selling Adam Wharton is about all we've got to look forward to. Still, his transfer fee should allow the owners to put less money into the club, so there's that at least.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Mid-lower table and selling Adam Wharton is about all we've got to look forward to. Still, his transfer fee should allow the owners to put less money into the club, so there's that at least.

Think of the brownie points Waggott will get from India when that deal happens, he'll probably get a massive bonus and another 5 years in the job as the idiots in India credit him with landing them a massive transfer fee.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lraC said:

You are right. There is a big problem, in fact there are two very big problems, the owners and the CEO are strangling the club and knocking the stuffing out of the fans. 

Well, I'm still 100% Venky's (the fuck) out of our club.

The bright moments of "easy on the eye football" are a mere distraction from the fact that we continue to be reduced and dumbed down on a constant basis.

We all know that JDT will be gone sooner rather than later-utterly frustrated.

Spivs like Waggott will remain, however, with more perverse, supporter -alienating decisions.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

We were never winning this, which is part of the problem. We are now writing off games in the championship because either we're so weak or the opposition have parachute payments, a valid argument but basically conceding defeat before a ball is kicked.

The club is on its knees as the owners continue to strangle us and the CEO lays out the least ambitious plans a club has ever presented. 

This is why i thought big changes and resting players might be the way to go and take the risk like a cup game because chances of winning were slim anyway.

Instead it went exactly as i feared it would and we end up with another suspended and more knackered legs low confidence and knocks.  Sadly with a squad as small as ours in terms of available starting 11 you just have to rotate and alter tactics at times, it's called plan B and we never have a gaffer with one of those.

At home in holiday fixtures isn't time to try that stuff but today was, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Today was a bad day and far worse than it could or should have been.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

This is why i thought big changes and resting players might be the way to go and take the risk like a cup game because chances of winning were slim anyway.

Instead it went exactly as i feared it would and we end up with another suspended and more knackered legs low confidence and knocks.  Sadly with a squad as small as ours in terms of available starting 11 you just have to rotate and alter tactics at times, it's called plan B and we never have a gaffer with one of those.

At home in holiday fixtures isn't time to try that stuff but today was, nothing ventured nothing gained.

That is down to JDT.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Was just thinking the same thing really.

Players like Ennis and Leonard could have played and given Szmodics a rest. Hill for Carter, Trav for Tronstad etc. 

Like you say, we're now in the worst of all worlds with players even more knackered, players suspended, 0 points, 0 goals and another -4 on the GD.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Watford aren’t going to be short of confidence after today.

Thank goodness we won on Tuesday.

Surely even the most optimistic will now realise the play offs are a pipe dream this season.

I hate to think where we’ll be this time next season.

They were out on their feet on Tuesday but fortunately we managed to see it out. We will do very well to finish in the top half and I agree that where the club goes from here is extremely worrying, especially when we lose JDT. Depressing !

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Was just thinking the same thing really.

Players like Ennis and Leonard could have played and given Szmodics a rest. Hill for Carter, Trav for Tronstad etc. 

Like you say, we're now in the worst of all worlds with players even more knackered, players suspended, 0 points, 0 goals and another -4 on the GD.

He doesn't come across as the smartest cookie in the jar at times.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JHRover said:

No shame in losing at Southampton. They have a better team and squad than us, for a number of reasons, and they have dealt with pretty much everyone who has gone there this season, apart from Leicester and Ipswich. 

What is really annoying me is the number of goals we are shipping. People will make out that Southampton are dismantling all they come up against but in reality their wins at home have usually been tight affairs decided by a goal or two.

2-1 v QPR, 3-1 v Leeds, 1-1 v Rotherham, 3-1 v Birmingham, 2-1 v WBA, 1-0 v Bristol, 2-0 v Cardiff

We break new ground by shipping 4.

I don't believe this is all down to Dominic Hyam being injured, and if it is I think that is arguably more worrying that we are so reliant on his presence to stop the flow of goals. 

38 goals conceded in 22 games. Only Rotherham and Norwich have let more in. 11 defeats in 22 games, only the bottom 3 have lost more. These are deeply alarming statistics for me, they suggest a big problem somewhere.

Yes, the problem is we can’t defend lol

This season is all about financial stability and it stinks. High price ST, closure of BBNEND partly due to a out of his depth CEO, the mismanagement of Rothwell & Raya resulting in a crap transfer window that saw the embarrassing O'brien episode, arrival of unfit Ennis & signing of Leo. We have to put a 15 kid on the bench and field a wafer thin knackered first team that only suits attendances of 8,000.

We have owners who don't know what they are doing so how long will this go on? Is the writing on the wall? January transfer window approaching but with no money this season will end towards the championship bottom with no investment for next season. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

This season is all about financial stability and it stinks. High price ST, closure of BBNEND partly due to a out of his depth CEO, the mismanagement of Rothwell & Raya resulting in a crap transfer window that saw the embarrassing O'brien episode, arrival of unfit Ennis & signing of Leo. We have to put a 15 kid on the bench and field a wafer thin knackered first team that only suits attendances of 8,000.

We have owners who don't know what they are doing so how long will this go on? Is the writing on the wall? January transfer window approaching but with no money this season will end towards the championship bottom with no investment for next season. 

Pretty much sums it up.

Fortunately, we are comfortably placed in the table, for now, but the writing is firmly on the wall for the not too distant future.

5 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

And they can't sell the club due to the amount of debt they created, and aren't willing to write off. So we're stuck with them as no one  else will take on the £150m plus debt. They've manufactured an impossible situation all round.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

At least I didn't buy a season ticket.

• Like 1

You will not see a more comprehensive defeat than that. Yes they’re better than us on paper but that doesn’t excuse the gulf in standards. I’ve never seen such a toothless display and the final scoreline flattered us. 

Didn’t even think Southampton were spectacularly good. After the first 10 mins we absorbed most of their pressure in the first half relatively comfortably but kept throwing possession away on the rare occasions we had the ball. Can’t expect to invite pressure for 90 mins without posing a threat at the other end, and get anything.

Brittain won’t sleep well tonight. Inexcusable given the circumstances today and overall squad situation. 

Wahlstedt the only one to come out with any credit and he conceded four. Says it all. 

Brittain hung his team mates out to dry. Absolutely shattered team mates already chasing shadows and does that to them. It was a hard watch, I was surprised to not see any fresh legs starting in a team that was dying come the 90th minute on Tuesday.

2-0 would have been a dream to be honest, 4-0 was right. Having the ball 30 yards from our goal and having no pass available forwards was just awful to view, no wonder Sammie was livid!

• Like 2