BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Exactly..

Billy K... 

Do you think we will get Hill back on loan? I think we are going to be loaning in for the foreseeable 

We can get loans in but the number of=players willing to sign on full time to the Chicken Chokers Flying Circus are few and far between. Only if there are no alternatives will most players join up. The world of pro football isn’t very big and everybody knows about the shit show behind the scenes at Ewood Park.

It’s obvious really. If you were in the market for a new job and your choices were a couple of well run, forward looking, stable companies and a nightmare place where you don’t know what the future holds where would you go ?

The nightmare place would have to be paying well over the odds before any sane person would consider going there.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We can get loans in but the number of=players willing to sign on full time to the Chicken Chokers Flying Circus are few and far between. Only if there are no alternatives will most players join up. The world of pro football isn’t very big and everybody knows about the shit show behind the scenes at Ewood Park.

It’s obvious really. If you were in the market for a new job and your choices were a couple of well run, forward looking, stable companies and a nightmare place where you don’t know what the future holds where would you go ?

The nightmare place would have to be paying well over the odds before any sane person would consider going there.

As far as I'm aware they've never failed to pay players, so you'd go to whoever offers the biggest weekly wage.

Granted with our new L1 budget that wouldn't be us. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rigger said:

Gent did not have that special something that makes a player stand out. funily enough at the same time that Gent played for our U23s, three players (which is a rarety) did stand out. They were Adam Wharton, Ash Phillips, and Jake Batty. Of course it matters what Gent looked like at U23 level. But I will judge him when I see him play for our first-team.

It mattered, it doesn't matter now. Btw don't Batty and Gent play the same position? So I assume if Batty was playing well at the time, Gent wasn't playing much.

I remember it being said that Hanley was once considered a better player than Jones. Their career trajectories soon went very different directions and nobody questions that Jones was better at senior football (injuries notwithstanding), or said it was a problem that he wasn't as good as Hanley at youth level. Gent seems to have progressed and Batty has regressed, that's what matters at the moment.

17 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

you just never know how a player will turn out unless you give him a run of first team games,look at phil jones,he did`nt particularly stand out at youth level

If Jones didn't stand out at youth level, how come he was selected in the first team ?

1 hour ago, rigger said:

If Jones didn't stand out at youth level, how come he was selected in the first team ?

injuries,tiredness and a league cup tie with the notts forest,big sam,sensing it was a time to rest a few in a game he saw as a distraction gave jones his debut,he looked a natural in all honesty he then played a worldie against chelsea in the league and the rest is history,behind the scenes there was a doubt over jones on wether the club was  going to keep him on before his impromptu debut ,absolutely **** all to do with kean btw,the slimy scottish **** was a cone and bib distributor,he had no contact with the youth team

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

Are you wanting the true version of events or the Steve Kean version? 

Jones stood out in the pre season friendly at Dundee. He must have stood out at youth level to someone at the club. Hence his progression to the first-team.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

injuries,tiredness and a league cup tie with the notts forest,big sam,sensing it was a time to rest a few in a game he saw as a distraction gave jones his debut,he looked a natural in all honesty he then played a worldie against chelsea in the league and the rest is history,behind the scenes there was a doubt over jones on wether the club was  going to keep him on before his impromptu debut ,absolutely **** all to do with kean btw,the slimy scottish **** was a cone and bib distributor,he had no contact with the youth team

So he did stand out against the other youth team defenders. That is why he was selected rather than someone else.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, rigger said:

So he did stand out against the other youth team defenders. That is why he was selected rather than someone else.

some young players don`t stand out at youth or reserve level,but look instantly at home in the  first team enviroment,you just don`t know until you put them to the test,sometimes it`s the other way round,i remember paul moulden scoring a lot of goals for man city`s youth and reserves side,everyone though he was the next superstar,when they put him in the 1st team he was a completely different player and could`nt quite make the step up

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rigger said:

Jones stood out in the pre season friendly at Dundee. He must have stood out at youth level to someone at the club. Hence his progression to the first-team.

So if Gent gets his debut in the first team, will that mean he stood out at youth level?

Edited by bluebruce

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Hopefully players see Sammie doing his bits from being where he was and take the leap. We've actually developed a few players over time, Raya, Elliott Wharton Diaz all playing in the premiership. Maybe we aren't that bad at attracting potential who will see us as a stepping stone

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

some young players don`t stand out at youth or reserve level,but look instantly at home in the  first team enviroment,you just don`t know until you put them to the test,sometimes it`s the other way round,i remember paul moulden scoring a lot of goals for man city`s youth and reserves side,everyone though he was the next superstar,when they put him in the 1st team he was a completely different player and could`nt quite make the step up

Football is full of lower league players who were going to be “ the next big thing “. 

I remember going to watch Rovers “ A “ team versus Rochdale reserves at Spotland years ago. A pal of mine was playing for on the right wing for Rochdale reserves, a lad called Paul Crossley, he later played for Preston and Tranmere. 

He was up against a lad called Billy Wilson and Paul ran him ragged. He said to me after “ You’re a better left back than that kid I was up against today Tyrone. “  He was really impressed with our No 8 , a player called Roy Wilford. I agreed with him about Wilford, it was like watching a young David Dunn. He was everywhere on the pitch.

12 months later Billy Wilson is our first team left back and went on to be a regular for about 10 seasons. Roy Wilford was released to have a decent career in non- league football.

The moral of the story - players develop at different rates as teenagers.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

This just isn’t true, football isn’t like any other industry or workplace because the moneys to good to turn down.

If Rovers offer the right wages and length of contract anyone will join. If we pay loan fees, loan players will join, we’ve seen it time and time again over the past 5yrs and the cat was well and truly out of the bag on Venkys.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I remember watching Jones a few times playing for the U21s and he was like a mon playing in a boys team.

He stood put.

Ronnie Clayton , who knew Duncan Edwards well enough to have been his best man when Edwards was going to be married, told me - “ This lad is going to be the next Duncan Edwards  “.

• Like 3

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Ronnie Clayton , who knew Duncan Edwards well enough to have been his best man when Edwards was going to be married, told me - “ This lad is going to be the next Duncan Edwards  “.

My dad’s exact comment during that Chelsea match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

So if Gent gets his debut in the first team, will that mean he stood out at youth level?

No, what it will mean is that someone thinks he is the best player available for that position, at the present time.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We are in contract talks with Kyle McFadzean. So I would expect to sign for 12 months which I think is good move by us. Gives us experience and allow us to go back 5 with him and plan B

At the moment it looks like 5 and the back is very much Plan A.

42 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I’ve seen some nonsense posted on this site but this is right up there.

Got to say I agree with him tbh... Signed him as a centre half and then tried to play him as a full back. Completely upset his development at a key stage of his career. 

• Like 1