BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

In the past weve been very lucky with goalscorers stepping up but theres definitely no one internal who will score a high number should Szmodics go.

Gallagher and Dolan would be the obvious 2 because unlike the rest theyve scored at least a few goals per season over a number of seasons, Gallagher usually gets 8 or 9 and Dolan less. But neither has it in them to suddenly start banging them in. Markanday is not good enough and needs moving on if anyone will have him. Leonard isnt ready for regular Championship football and there is plenty of hype around Gilsenan but he has only played a couple of league minutes and he might have scored a decent amount in the kids league but its a massive step up, see Vale as proof of that so if he becomes a first team member we have to treat it as a bonus rather than something we bank on.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

In the past weve been very lucky with goalscorers stepping up but theres definitely no one internal who will score a high number should Szmodics go.

Gallagher and Dolan would be the obvious 2 because unlike the rest theyve scored at least a few goals per season over a number of seasons, Gallagher usually gets 8 or 9 and Dolan less. But neither has it in them to suddenly start banging them in. Markanday is not good enough and needs moving on if anyone will have him. Leonard isnt ready for regular Championship football and there is plenty of hype around Gilsenan but he has only played a couple of league minutes and he might have scored a decent amount in the kids league but its a massive step up, see Vale as proof of that so if he becomes a first team member we have to treat it as a bonus rather than something we bank on.

You're forgetting Sigurdsson. Will he get 30+? No. But he has the pedigree to get 10-15 if everything falls right for him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

You're forgetting Sigurdsson. Will he get 30+? No. But he has the pedigree to get 10-15 if everything falls right for him.

Im not forgetting him. Hes just been crap, although I suppoe although hes slow, cant take a man on and is soft, he does at least score the odd goal to be fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustARover said:

I don't think he will but I'm hoping we find a way to utilise Sigurdsson

But he's been dreadful and seems to have no confidence when he's playing. 

He doesn't commit or run at his fb and he barely crosses it into the box

Maybe we should try him through the middle but would that even work

Technically strong and if he was physically strong he'd be premier league.  The way around that is support with physical players (JRC, Dolan) and id put him between 10 and 15 goals.  Add in another 10 somewhere else and were looking ship shape 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustARover said:

When Graham left and Dack got his injury Armstrong stepped up, then Brereton Diaz when he left and Szmodics did last season when Brereton Diaz left, so maybe we could guess who steps up if Szmodics leaves 

Sigurdsson.

• Like 1

In reality one man doesn't often. dominate the score-sheet in the way Sammi has. Its more usual for 2 to share the goals and that's what I feel we'll need.

Since we can't afford one, how will we get 2? Back to loans I imagine.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I broadly agree with you, but also have to say not a soul on earth including you or I would have thought Szmodics would score how he has this season a year ago. I reckon the most optimistic Sammie lover would have said he could get 10 or 15.

So we dont really know how it will pan out. I could see either Sigurdsson or Hedges scoring more if they get a more prominent central role. It would be no more outlandish than what has happened with Szmodics.

But obviously it would be much much better if we actually go out and sign an experienced striker with a good scoring record at this level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B16Rover said:

Technically strong and if he was physically strong he'd be premier league.  The way around that is support with physical players (JRC, Dolan) and id put him between 10 and 15 goals.  Add in another 10 somewhere else and were looking ship shape 

Sigurdsson to me looks like he hasnt got up to speed with English football. Theres a chance with a full pre season he could come back a different player.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Oooof no. He was really really poor, no attributes at all. Would slow up play all the time and didn't have a very good delivery.

Wasn't quick you're right but most of the time decent delivery he literally turned Rudy into a 6 million player with pin point crosses.

Good workrate, great attitude.

• Like 2

Just on McFadz, effective but limited guys aren't a problem if they're cheap and aren't relied upon exclusively. We won't want to set up with 5 at the back every week, but there'll games like Leicester/Leeds away where we'd be mad not to. I'd keep him around another year, especially given his experience and attitude. Nothing wrong with having a hard arse around a squad like ours.

• Like 9

My .02… The owners simply want to obtain the majority of the first team through the academy. I believe they are opposed to spending their money on both the academy, & quality, proven, Championship level, transfers. 

Siggy is obviously a good footballer, his first few games he looked sharp, took up some really intelligent positions and his finishing was excellent. Converted nearly all the chances that fell to him. Once we started on the death spiral toward the end of Nov his form took a catastrophic dip as he was being asked to do more work, which I don't think he was physically prepared for/fit enough to do. From that point it looked like he was playing catch up and his confidence nose dived, he also seemed to suffer further dips when he went away on international duty. 

Hopefully a successful rehab where he builds strength and underlying baseline levels of championship fitness will set him up to have a good pre-season and be firing on all cylinders. There is comfortably a 15 a season player in there.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Siggy is obviously a good footballer, his first few games he looked sharp, took up some really intelligent positions and his finishing was excellent. Converted nearly all the chances that fell to him. Once we started on the death spiral toward the end of Nov his form took a catastrophic dip as he was being asked to do more work, which I don't think he was physically prepared for/fit enough to do. From that point it looked like he was playing catch up and his confidence nose dived, he also seemed to suffer further dips when he went away on international duty. 

Hopefully a successful rehab where he builds strength and underlying baseline levels of championship fitness will set him up to have a good pre-season and be firing on all cylinders. There is comfortably a 15 a season player in there.

Hopefully everything goes well in his recovery

His movement around the box is above everyone bar Szmodics

I agree I believe the standard of the championship for fitness without him having a pre season cost him massively and with a press season to find out his best position to unlock his ability for the team could be vital for us

And I'd take 5/10 goals from him again if he matches it with assists and we get a 15/20 goal striker 

6 hours ago, ageoftherover said:

Just on McFadz, effective but limited guys aren't a problem if they're cheap and aren't relied upon exclusively. We won't want to set up with 5 at the back every week, but there'll games like Leicester/Leeds away where we'd be mad not to. I'd keep him around another year, especially given his experience and attitude. Nothing wrong with having a hard arse around a squad like ours.

I would offer him another 12 months but also invite him onto the coaching staff , while his legs may have gone his brain hasn’t and it’s clear he has the respect of players and fans 

• Like 4

He needs to learn the art of graft and tackling back as a given not when he feels like it.

Might be fitness related but it's also attitude he was a passenger at times, a shirker at others and we just cannot afford those in return for the odd goal or assist.

Clearly has talent but needs to add a new dimension to it here.

• Like 2

Sigurdsson doesn’t like the rough and tumble of English football. He’s too easily dominated physically and disappears in games very quickly. In the away match at Millwall he got an elbow early on and spent the next 60 minutes complaining to the ref before being substituted. And he offers very little threat on the ball.

Sorry I just don’t think he’s that good. I’d get rid. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Sigurdsson isn't crap like some people are saying but what a lot of people don't factor in is he had zero pre season and yet he still finished with 7 goals this season and actually our second top goalscorer overall this season. So can't be that crap can he been? 

23 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

If Oxford don’t go up and Travis leaves, I can see us signing Brannagan. A lot of rumours flying around toward the back end of the last window that we were in talks…Be a shrewd signing IMO

quality player he is. 

11 hours ago, Rogerb said:

Chaddy the owners cannot send any money from India to the club without obtaining approval from the Indian courts. The next court hearing is not until August 20th. The only money is what is left from trading once all the bills are paid.

Nixon reported yesterday that Venkys have now sold the house they have… would that cash not go directly to Venkys London? Maybe that 5 mill can be helped towards funding the club 

They bought it through VLL but i'm sure i read somewhere they'd already paid it back though might be wrong.

Either way whilst any money is a help it isn't like transferring the usual 10/20 million and i think Waggot is clearly lying again when he said that issue is sorted.

If they are offing this pad to get money into the club things are still in a bad way.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Never thought matters would be this bad,its sell,sell,sell to keep the lights on.

I congratulate our BILLIONAIRE Owners on the running of our Club.

Just fookin fantastic.Oh!...then there's the small matters of transfer money.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

On 23/02/2024 at 10:26, Upside Down said:

If we do sign anyone they'll be free and they'll probably be absolutely gash.

Whats happened to the £19,000,000 for Adam Wharton, according to the club about a month ago in the LT, there will be money available this Summer. Add the 19 million to Sam Szchmodics departure about 20- 25 million (its inevitable) there should be about 40 plus million to build a strong squad to challenge for things next Season.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Whats happened to the £19,000,000 for Adam Wharton, according to the club about a month ago in the LT, there will be money available this Summer. Add the 19 million to Sam Szchmodics departure about 20- 25 million (its inevitable) there should be about 40 plus million to build a strong squad to challenge for things next Season.

We won't get that for Szmodics he's almost 29 with no top league experience

You don't spend all the money you make as a club from sales especially when you're in as much debt as we are

I'd be buzzing with 20mil for Szmodics if we do sell him but could see it being more 15mil

Saying that then adding in other sales on top with the money we'll get from Raya we'll be at around 45mil made from transfer fees

We're a club in major financial trouble we aren't seeing all of that in fees to sign players if anything we'll spend at most 5/8 hopefully then you have to factor in loan fees and wages

This is a summer were venkys either make a statement and back us with fees for better signings or we continue with frees and loans with maybe 1 or 2 small fees

No matter what though we need to spend money to climb this table or this time next season we're league 1 unfortunately