BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Southampton (h) - 6/4/24

28 minutes ago, martonrover said:

We’ll see.

I think he might do ok back in Scandinavia, but I’m not convinced he’ll get another chance on these shores.

He was undoubtedly more sinned against than sinner, but you are right to say that he was stubborn, and I firmly believe he was cut a great deal of slack because of his persona.

If he wants another Championship gig I wager he’d get one.

There’s probably going to be 80-100 managerial changes in this mad division over the next five years - and this guy actually has experience of largely doing well in this league too, plus cups (until said wheels).

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Just about doing enough to scrape over the line and claim the achievement of survival.

HERE'S THE RUB: We are going to lose our top Scorer this Summer,Im sorry to say but amidst the Euphoria of drawn games without major investment (dont make me laugh!) we are set for another Season of struggle and angst.

Rinse and repeat.

This is what I fear too. We avoid the drop and go bonkers celebrating on the last day of the season.

Then what? The problems start all over again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Markanday still looks completely off championship level

In your opinion. But he still looks better under JE than JDT, hence the original quote, I would suspect.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, philipl said:

So low a bar? 

My hunch is this season will see 22nd get the second highest points total to the 51 which is the record under 3 points for a win which sent us down.

I think we need 5 points or a point per game to get to 51 as a minimum.

Incidentally, the unluckiest team relegated were Blackpool in the days of 42 games and 2 points for a win. They went down with 37 when we came 5th with 45 points!

did Peterborough not go down with 54 points in 2013

Good point yesterday. Eustace clearly has the team set up well, organised, and we're hard to beat, albeit with not much up top.

On Southampton, I thought they were dreadful. Their style of walking football is just plain dull to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

If he wants another Championship gig

'I'm not sure he will, unless it's a club with parachute money, and I'm not convinced he will be near the top of that type of club's wish list.

I envisage his next club appointment as being in Scandinavia / Europe.

• Like 1

We’ll see. I can certainly see him rocking up at a Birmingham or a West Brom or a Watford etc etc… and JDT has already achieved more on a budget in this division than half the obscure folk these clubs appoint.

13 hours ago, martonrover said:

That is where I disagree.

i think we would’ve gone down had Tomasson stayed.

Eustace’s results haven’t been great, but they are better than Tomasson’s had been over a sustained period.

We were cannon fodder and it’s pretty obvious that he had lost the dressing room.

We haven’t won enough games to get clear under Eustace, but he has made us harder to beat.

Hopefully, that will be enough come May.

I agree that I think under JDT we would have gone down. 

Eustace has come in and started by making harder to beat, defensively more solid and picking up points. Now we are developing our attacking game. Since his appointment, we have won 2 games, 7 draws and 3 losses in 12 league including 3 clean sheets. That's 13 points gained since JDT left Rovers. 

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

We’ll see.

I think he might do ok back in Scandinavia, but I’m not convinced he’ll get another chance on these shores.

He was undoubtedly more sinned against than sinner, but you are right to say that he was stubborn, and I firmly believe he was cut a great deal of slack because of his persona.

I have high thoughts of JDT and I enjoyed his time here apart from the last 2 months were when things fall apart under JDT and we were freefall. 

I do think he will managed in one of top 5 leagues in Europe but I do think alot of owners/CEO will be aware about how media savvy and openness with situations he is. I don't see him managing in the Championship again tho

Chadster really won’t let go of giving JE the Stoke game. 😅

End of the day it was three points, but not a chance JE would’ve been charging to the technical area from the posh seats if we’d have been 2-0 down at half time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Chadster really won’t let go of giving JE the Stoke game. 😅

End of the day it was three points, but not a chance JE would’ve been charging to the technical area from the posh seats if we’d have been 2-0 down at half time.

I think you will actually find Eustace sees that game as a win for him and Rovers. Source is Elliott Jackson's podcast Arte Et Labore last week episode 

Eustace was involved in the team selection and tactics on the Friday night before the Stoke Game as Johnson confirmed post game plus Eustace actually didn't sit in the director box when Rovers need direction and leader on the touchline, he rolled his sleeves up and got it down

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Good point yesterday. Eustace clearly has the team set up well, organised, and we're hard to beat, albeit with not much up top.

On Southampton, I thought they were dreadful. Their style of walking football is just plain dull to watch.

I genuinely think Man City are dreadful to watch - they just have such ridiculous players that it works. 

Southampton (and Martin) are trying to be a Poundland Man City. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, martonrover said:

'I'm not sure he will, unless it's a club with parachute money, and I'm not convinced he will be near the top of that type of club's wish list.

I envisage his next club appointment as being in Scandinavia / Europe.

He turned down a Dutch club and a Swiss club in just 18 months in charge of us. He'll find another gig very easily when he wants it. 

He MIGHT get another Championship gig, but I'm sure he'd be much more discerning this time. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think you will actually find Eustace sees that game as a win for him and Rovers. Source is Elliott Jackson's podcast Arte Et Labore last week episode 

Does he really, that’s a surprise!

I don’t blame him for claiming it, who wouldn’t, but you and him certainly wouldn’t have been pinning a defeat in that game on him.

Anyway, it’s old ground now, so let’s move on, but nice one Johnno for what could prove a vital three points.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I don’t blame him for claiming it, who wouldn’t, but you and him certainly wouldn’t have been pinning a defeat in that game on him.

Anyway, it’s old ground now, so let’s move on, but nice one Johnno for what could prove a vital three points.

I have nothing more to add to this than I have already the reasons why I think the win is his. Its was 3 points for Rovers at the end of the day

16 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The Rovers website  (does this out rank Elliot Jackson as a source? 🤔🧐) included the following in the Birmingham City match report…

A solitary strike from Andre Dozzell was the difference as Rovers suffered a narrow 1-0 defeat to Birmingham City at St Andrew’s in John Eustace’s first official game in charge.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree that I think under JDT we would have gone down.

Yeah right. You were always insistent we wouldn’t go down. After the QPR defeat you said “we will not be in league one next year” and said it was “nonsense” to think we will.

You then said you were “gutted and angry” JDT was leaving. Strange view for someone you thought was taking us down.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

If Jackson is crediting Eustace with the win v Stoke he's done a full U turn.

I wonder why?

It has nowt to do with Eustace

Dipstick.

Cos Eustace himself said in an interview he saw that win as being his. Which you would say when you hadn’t won a game.

Ive no issue with Eustace provided he keeps us up, but it’s embarrassing the amount of people trying to credit him the Stoke game as some kind of justification of his reign.

Incidentally, at the start of January JDT was without 7 of the players that started at Sunderland and yesterday.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Cos Eustace himself said in an interview he saw that win as being his. Which you would say when you hadn’t won a game.

Ive no issue with Eustace provided he keeps us up, but it’s embarrassing the amount of people trying to credit him the Stoke game as some kind of justification of his reign.

Incidentally, at the start of January JDT was without 7 of the players that started at Sunderland and yesterday.

I also think there's been club pressure applied to Jackson to get him to change his tune.

Eustace himself claiming the win is a wee bit embarrassing and goes against the theme of no time on the pitch with the players when justifying the long win less run.

2 hours ago, 47er said:

This is what I fear too. We avoid the drop and go bonkers celebrating on the last day of the season.

Then what? The problems start all over again.

I certainly won't be going bonkers if we survive. It'll be pure relief after an incredibly disappointing season.