BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Southampton (h) - 6/4/24

• Backroom

Silver lining on the minging results elsewhere, the bottom teams winning were against other teams that remain below us 

• Like 2

It’s not just points it’s that there are 5 sides between us and the bottom 3. Most of which are worse on GD. Not safe yet but with 5 left it’s looking less bleak. A win on Wednesday and we should be comfortable going into the last 4. 

• Like 2

I don't think anyone has issues with drawing these kind of games. They are a solid point. It's not capitalising  vs the weaker teams which is an issue. A point vs a very talented team (even one with a poor manager) is a creditable point. Well done Rovers. 

On other results Sheff Weds result means 2 places are well up to play for. Looks like the new manager bounce is waring off at Millwall. And it's only left them 2 points above the drop. Plymouth did win but it was against Rotherham who aren't championship quality. Will be interesting to see when they next win vs a championship side. And at the risk of sounding like a broken record Sheff Weds win but still don't leave the relegation places. Huddersfield winning was a surprise though as their form has been abysmal. 

• Like 2

We just need to take care of our own business now. Given the number of teams below us, our superior goal difference over a couple of them as well, and the number of games left to play rapidly running out, 4 points should see us safe.

No reason we can’t get 3 of those during the week.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Should be happy leaving but other results really dampened my mood…I must be the only one who is very worried?

Sheff wed, Hudds and Plymouth all winning means their tails will be up!

It’s true but they are the only teams in the bottom 15 to win today. It’s crazy down there!

Oh! And only 4 of these bottom 15 have gained more points than us over the last 6 games! We moved up to 16th today.

Edited by tonyoz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Should be happy leaving but other results really dampened my mood…I must be the only one who is very worried?

Sheff wed, Hudds and Plymouth all winning means their tails will be up!

Brum's form is absolutely shocking and QPR will be very down after losing at home to Weds, who are terrible away

from Hillsboro, Millwall have had their bounce , like some one else said.

I fancy Brum and Millwall to go down with Rotherham.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Rover8T4 said:

Credit where it's due we were set up really well today. Looked like a solid championship outfit, set pieces were switched up and we created chances. Best championship game under Eustace

Erm I'd say 1-5 was better

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

How did Brittain not get MOTM? He was outstanding.

Also special mention for Markanday who showed real physicality. Not seen that from him before.

He did, the stadium announcer issued a correction as I was coming down the BBE steps.

I thought it was odd that Gally got it too. 

• Like 2

Good point against a top 4 team. Although we should be more disappointed than them not winning this game. Saints seem to have some good players but dont really play well as a team. If there's a team who had more desire and wants to win the game in the 2nd half, it was us.

Markanday was refreshingly strong, got into the game and certainly look to create things. Gally is a strange one, won alot of headers but he doesnt direct his headers to a running team mate. he seems to just touch the ball with his head for the sake of it. does put in plenty energy, hard running, winning the ball back etc but ultimately, he's a forward. He needs goals.

Tronstad was good again and so was Wharton. Dolan wasn't too bad either, even thought he got a YC, he was still trying to make things happen. JRC was just okay. Sammie should have put the chance in the first half away. Otherwise, it was a competent performance. Its just a shame some results elsewhere didn't help.

We just have to keep focusing on our performance and results and that's all it matters.

• Like 2

This time last week people were saying they couldn't see where our next point was coming from. 7 days later we have gained 4. Let's look forward to next season in the championship.

• Like 4

Another good performance, draw a fair result although we could’ve nicked it. Any sort of squad depth and I think we win that - but there’s no way of us changing the game positively with subs.

Dolan, Brittain and Markanday were all absolutely fantastic! The reverse fixture against this lot was probably our worst performance of the season, so a very good point.

• Like 3

Good performance and disappointed we couldn’t sneak a win. Didn’t really create much of note though so a draw is a fair result. 

Markanday impressed today, properly got stuck in and deserves a chance if hedges is out for a bit.

12 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Another good performance, draw a fair result although we could’ve nicked it. Any sort of squad depth and I think we win that - but there’s no way of us changing the game positively with subs.

Dolan, Brittain and Markanday were all absolutely fantastic! The reverse fixture against this lot was probably our worst performance of the season, so a very good point.

That's the issue, isn't it - and has been all season. 

Southampton made 5 subs. We made 1 forced change due to injury and Eustace clearly didn't want to risk bringing a sub on in the last 10-15 minutes when everyone was playing well (if fatigued). 

• Like 2

Well done lads. Excellent shift, particularly as we only made one (enforced) sub. Deserved point.
Pity we just didn’t have the quality at times to convert the turnovers into something. Must have had 20 or so but couldn’t make it count. In the end we had more chances. Sammie’s chip was delightful.

Thought they were poor and looked a little jaded (5 subs). No plan B (why didn’t they just use their 2 big lads from the back up front for the last 5 because plan A got them nowhere really) but just kept doing the same thing over and over and we looked reasonably comfortable apart from a glaring miss early doors (Armstrong?) and a cute pass that left them on the wrong side of Wharton only for Pears to make a good save.

Thought the ref was excellent.