BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Striker Signs!

I think Duffer is correct in his judgement on Dickov, I saw him mainly as a buy who would be making most of his appearances from the Bench and would tirelesly run down defenders for the last twenty minutes of the game, the first line of defence is in the opponents half, anyways i have to admit from what i have seen on his full match display he looks very comfortable leading the line with Stead for the full ninety...what are other peoples thoughts on this? is Dickov a better sub or starter, and the what was the role we bought Bothroyd for as in is he seen as a starter or is he destined to be the sub?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we signed Dickov, I wasn't best pleased. However, for £150,000 he is looking like a bargain and I have been proved wrong about him. He was excellent when he came on against Southampton, and played well against Arsenal and Man Utd. But sometimes I get annoyed when he holds the ball up well, then loses it by trying to do too much and play a difficult pass. But overall he has shown that he gives it his all, he wants to win and this should be an example to the rest of the team. Jay brings a different dimension to our striking options, with his pace and skill and I think that there are alot of combinations for our strikers, which could work well.

There's a new diary entry on his icons webpage here

He says: "Ewood Park is a great stage for a player and one of things I'm looking foward to more than anything else is playing in front of the Blackburn fans. I've already had messages of support and welcome. I Know how loyal and enthusiastic they can be and i aim to make them proud"

Good on yer Jay  cool.gif

That'll have been written by his agent!

ooooo you cynic you laugh.gif

I for one am glad that we have got rid of Yorke and cole and have brought in some younger additions.

If you ask me then id say having Stead, Gally, Jay, Dickov and jansen as in there you have 5 strikers who all want to play and all want to prove themselves.

Yorke and Cole have already proven themselves in the past so i felt that they believed they didnt have to work as hard.

10/10 for the signings, given our financial climate

I for one am glad that we have got rid of Yorke and cole and have brought in some younger additions.

If you ask me then id say having Stead, Gally, Jay, Dickov and jansen as in there you have 5 strikers who all want to play and all want to prove themselves.

Yorke and Cole have already proven themselves in the past so i felt that they believed they didnt have to work as hard.

10/10 for the signings, given our financial climate

Agreed.

Dickov is doing the job thus far, and for less cash.

It's not that unlikely actually, because Bothroyd has shown some potential in the Serie A according to my sources, and especially Parma are gambling on similar players (players with potential who's out of the picture in their club at present) to get another Gilardino or Adriano... Fiorentina has just signed Miccoli from Juve, but they also lack a bit depth in their team!

When we signed Dickov, I wasn't best pleased. However, for £150,000 he is looking like a bargain and I have been proved wrong about him. He was excellent when he came on against Southampton, and played well against Arsenal and Man Utd. But sometimes I get annoyed when he holds the ball up well, then loses it by trying to do too much and play a difficult pass. But overall he has shown that he gives it his all, he wants to win and this should be an example to the rest of the team. Jay brings a different dimension to our striking options, with his pace and skill and I think that there are alot of combinations for our strikers, which could work well.

I couldn't agree more with those sentiments. Dickov has shown so far that he has the desire to win. That' all we should ask from ALL the players wearing the shirt. I sincerely hope that Dickov can be the next Speeeeedie!

From what I have seen he cannot be accused of not trying.

What Dickov hasn't yet done is provide the service etc that Andy Cole did last seasonfor Stead.My concern about the new signing is that Souness is enthusiastic about him because of his potential that he has not yet achieved and also because he feels it is a challenge to deal with his questionable behaviour.

If he doesn't he has seriously weakened the attacking side of the team over the last few months. What I'm worried about is that the challenge of improving Bothroyd appears to appeal to Souness' ego, whereas I can't think of many players the manager has improved.

• 3 weeks later...

froma few friends I spoke to, it sounds like we finally have a striker with some real pace and skill! Oh happy days!

The biggest thing we're missing as a team is raw pace, so I can't wait to see how he gets on over the next few weeks.

Roll on Charlton!

Im really looking forward to getting my first full match look at him in the Charlton game. I'm not saying he'll be starting, just so far I've only seen highlights, but he looks to be a good player. For once it also seems we have a bit of a selection headache upfront. Dickov is working his socks of and creating problems for the opposition, Stead has shown last season that he can score goals, and good goals, at this level, Bothroyd has pace, power and skill and deserves a chance, while Jansen's goal at the weekend also puts him back in contention.

You do need 4 decent strikers competing for positions.

I'm sure he'll get plenty of playing time between now and January.

Not got much else to say apart from how glad I am we got three points on the board, and players weren't played out of position. Think we need 2 or 3 wins out of the next four games though to get out of trouble.

Don't forget about Gallagher!

Strikers are the least of our worries - we're set there and at goalkeeper. It's the positions between them that need strengthening.

Strikers are the biggest problem for us. We may have quite a few of them, bit I'm not convinced any of them are up to prem standard.

It was an excellent article in the times today and it looked like he had really earned the respect of people in seria a. Sections of the story such as Shevchenko (spelling?) wanting to exchange shirts with him and Maldini saying that J.B is a great prospect, tells me that perhaps we have a gem who is just waiting for the right manager to unlock his obviously considerable talents. Enter Sparky tinykit.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.