K-Hod

Thursday deadline.

2 hours ago, pomster said:

It's not about spending mega money, thats got us in the shite as it is. It's about spending money wisely

Remember king kennys first signing? Little Ian Wright from Oldham for next to nowt. TM has a plan and i'm more than happy to go along with it.

Young hungry guys mixed with a sprinkle of silver dusted experience ... Boom!

Top half garaunteed

half a mil - next to nowt? We barely spend that 20 years later.

Just now, JacknOry said:

half a mil - next to nowt? We barely spend that 20 years later.

Ha good shout, you're both right. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

A "character test" is a great innovation by Mowbray . It's a pity we didn't have one years ago - it would have saved us from the likes of Martin Dahlin, Danny Murphy and Bradley Orr. 

Personally, I'd wouldn't sign any player who didn't have 3 A-levels,  who didn't wear a suit and tie for the interview and had any facial hair.  Tattoos would be a no-no too.

Nice Boys only need apply.    

Is that you Mary Whitehouse? 

2 hours ago, pomster said:

Ok, I stand corrected. But the point i was trying to make is, is that Uncle Jack had bought rovers and money was freely available. Everybody expected Kenny to splash out on a big name transfer  but he bought Ian Wright from third tier Blackpool for £500k

Alan.

28 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

Alan.

Yeah thats the guy ... I'm blaming the heat an beer

1 hour ago, Garage Flower said:

I’d hope Tony would have to brains to know you don’t judge someone’s character on how they look but by the way they behave and conduct themselves. You fool. 

In most cases how you look is a reflection of character.

24 minutes ago, rigger said:

In most cases how you look is a reflection of character.

...or merely a reflection of what you choose to attribute to the character...Books and covers etc...Neville Southall, anyone?

Goodnight!

5 hours ago, Biz said:

I’m not sure why I’m wasting my time replying, but you know as well as I do - if it simply came down to funds, wages and transfer fees, we would’ve returned to the top flight at the first attempt under Kean.

Cardiff hardly spent a penny in transfers last summer, other than Madine - and he hardly made an impact.

Clever, patient and long term business, not spending money for the sake of it.

Nothing long term about Cardiff's business. Warnock arrived mid-season in a relegation scrap, kept them up and then swiftly assembled a squad that got them automatic promotion. No talk from Warnock about long term building jobs - he wanted promotion at the first attempt and knew how to get it. 

I know it doesn't purely come down to wages and transfer fees. The point i was trying to make was that last season it was much easier to put together a good side on a relative shoestring due to a lack of competition and the fact that a million quid goes a long way in League One. In the Championship you have to be prepared to pay more, if not you will likely struggle. 

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Nothing long term about Cardiff's business. Warnock arrived mid-season in a relegation scrap, kept them up and then swiftly assembled a squad that got them automatic promotion. No talk from Warnock about long term building jobs - he wanted promotion at the first attempt and knew how to get it. 

I know it doesn't purely come down to wages and transfer fees. The point i was trying to make was that last season it was much easier to put together a good side on a relative shoestring due to a lack of competition and the fact that a million quid goes a long way in League One. In the Championship you have to be prepared to pay more, if not you will likely struggle. 

Cardiff had a far better squad, Mangala (5m), Zahore rated at 8-10 million. Morrison, Gunnarsson, Bennett, Pilkington, Hoilett he has got firing since stepping in at Cardiff.

Completley agree with your post though by and large our squad is complete fodder at this level and needs urgent investment, Rotherham and Bolton, maybe Wigan, Ipswich and Millwall might finish below us, after that I'm struggling 

35 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Cardiff had a far better squad, Mangala (5m), Zahore rated at 8-10 million. Morrison, Gunnarsson, Bennett, Pilkington, Hoilett he has got firing since stepping in at Cardiff.

Completley agree with your post though by and large our squad is complete fodder at this level and needs urgent investment, Rotherham and Bolton, maybe Wigan, Ipswich and Millwall might finish below us, after that I'm struggling 

I look at our forward line, which is the area causing me concern at present. As it stands we've Danny Graham, who does a job yet will be a year older, then we've Dack who we were possibly too reliant on last season who is unproven at Championship level, and then Samuel and Nuttall with question marks over whether they were even good enough for League One. Having waved goodbye to Antonsson, Armstrong and Payne, we're in I would say quite urgent need of work in that area.

This is an area where decent players are in short supply and who generally cost more money than other areas. We need pace and presence up the top end of the pitch, and like it or loathe it they will cost substantial money, unless the plan is to rely on a couple of loans again, which goes against the steady building job talk we've heard because after 6-12 months the loans will need replacing, as we're finding now with last season's gone and seemingly out of reach this time.

Of course there are one or two gems out there like Gestede was for us but in the main even proven League One forwards cost millions - Rhodes, Marriott etc. 

For those saying that the season hasn't started yet and there's plenty of time - I know this. But I'd remind you of our own manager's comments not too long since where he clearly wanted most of his business done by now so they could travel to Austria and 'bed in' with the squad. Listening to managers one of the big things with foreign training camps is the chance for the players, old and new, to go away for a week together, effectively live together, eat together, get used to each other, train together. 

Every season in the last 4-5 years we have started slowly looking disorganised and short in key areas. I want to avoid that this year.

Edited by JHRover

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I look at our forward line, which is the area causing me concern at present. As it stands we've Danny Graham, who does a job yet will be a year older, then we've Dack who we were possibly too reliant on last season who is unproven at Championship level, and then Samuel and Nuttall with question marks over whether they were even good enough for League One. Having waved goodbye to Antonsson, Armstrong and Payne, we're in I would say quite urgent need of work in that area.

This is an area where decent players are in short supply and who generally cost more money than other areas. We need pace and presence up the top end of the pitch, and like it or loathe it they will cost substantial money, unless the plan is to rely on a couple of loans again, which goes against the steady building job talk we've heard because after 6-12 months the loans will need replacing, as we're finding now with last season's gone and seemingly out of reach this time.

Of course there are one or two gems out there like Gestede was for us but in the main even proven League One forwards cost millions - Rhodes, Marriott etc. 

For those saying that the season hasn't started yet and there's plenty of time - I know this. But I'd remind you of our own manager's comments not too long since where he clearly wanted most of his business done by now so they could travel to Austria and 'bed in' with the squad. Listening to managers one of the big things with foreign training camps is the chance for the players, old and new, to go away for a week together, effectively live together, eat together, get used to each other, train together. 

Every season in the last 4-5 years we have started slowly looking disorganised and short in key areas. I want to avoid that this year.

I worry about the defence too. As much as I'm a fan of Mulgrew, he isn't dominant and leaves his man a lot. We need a beast at the back and (some will laugh) a Jason Roberts style battering ram as an option up top.

I do think we'll be fine in the Championship but I want us to challenge up the top half - every fan should!

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

In my opinion gestede has done nowt since leaving rovers so he should get his arse back here.

That's a decent shout. He needs to dispense with the need to wear gloves (can you ever imagine Shearer wearing a pair?). A small thing but if I were a centre half marking him, I'd stick one on him early on because you'd suspect he was a soft touch. It would also be handy to have another French man in the team to keep him company! ;)

We need a left and right winger and a striker minimum for the starting 11. 

Loan Market about to be hit. 

We need a younger Danny Graham - any of those around?

7 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

Villa could be in for a torrid time too, so maybe we can stay fairly safe?

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

In my opinion gestede has done nowt since leaving rovers so he should get his arse back here.

Is that so he can do nowt here ? I thought I read somewhere he'd had a pretty serious injury a while ago.

There's always been a weird obsession on here with people wanting ex players back.

Unless that player was exceptional, I have never really understood it.

For me I have always thought Rovers (certainly in more modern times) should be a club moving forward bringing in mostly young hungry players (with one or two experienced heads too), developing them then hopefully sell them on for big money after enjoying them for a few years.

I think that's what Mowbray is trying to do, and I hope it works out for him/us.

Edited by MarkBRFC

40 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

There's always been a weird obsession on here with people wanting ex players back.

For me I have always thought Rovers (certainly in more modern times) should be a club moving forward bringing in mostly young hungry players (with one or two experienced heads too), developing them then hopefully sell them on for big money after enjoying them for a few years.

I think that's what Mowbray is trying to do, and I hope it works out for him/us.

Correct there's been a long list recently, some even said Lowe !!!!

I might make an exception for Gestede though because there isn't many around of his type these days and for someone like us even just for a season it could prove vital having someone who can plunder his type of goals in the ranks.

I wouldn't be buying him and paying big money but a loan for a season would be tempting if the wages could be done in affordable fashion.

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Agreed, suppose its an understandable lack of knowledge of the general market making it easier to suggest players people already know but I dont understand it either.

Seen suggestions of getting Mahoney back, getting Gallagher back, last year it was Emnes and Akpan, none of whom are anywhere near good enough. That or players like Rhodes and Gestede who we cant afford.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Agreed, suppose its an understandable lack of knowledge of the general market making it easier to suggest players people already know but I dont understand it either.

Seen suggestions of getting Mahoney back, getting Gallagher back, last year it was Emnes and Akpan, none of whom are anywhere near good enough. That or players like Rhodes and Gestede who we cant afford.

Akpan???!!! That's up there as one of the stupidest things I've ever heard!

Edited by donnermeat

16 hours ago, bob fleming said:

Alan.

15 hours ago, pomster said:

Yeah thats the guy ... I'm blaming the heat an beer

And wasn't it Blackpool we got him from?

32 minutes ago, donnermeat said:

Akpan???!!! That's up there as one of the stupidest things I've ever heard!

Abandon hope?

Chapman tweeted a pic of his passport with the comment "Austria bound". Got excited there, but turns out Boro are off there this weekend 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel