BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

16 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Maybe part of the lack of defensive recruitment is that they are following the same rules set out for the forwards, young, English and good resale potential.

That really isn't an easy task and not what someone who knows football would set out when it comes to defenders.

Think you maybe have a point but then you have to question this European search for players.

Makes no sense unless some staff just fancy a long weekend in Italy or Spain.  Nice work if you can get it?

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

He’s not tried Mrs Mowbray’s Madeira cake, or been to laser tag with the squad yet. Give him time to get up to speed!

Think it's lemon drizzle cake actually !

• Like 1

Just now, 4000Holes said:

Think you maybe have a point but then you have to question this European search for players.

Makes no sense unless some staff just fancy a long weekend in Italy or Spain.  Nice work if you can get it?

I think they'll loan or sign frees if the right people present them but if we have a quick look back it seems the only ones they've rarely paid money for in defence are English/Irish etc

Dann, Duffy, Williams, etc and they've sniffed around a few others, if Bauer was British would they have sanctioned the deal worth about 2 to 3 million including contract & signing on ?  Maybe.

The Southampton model in mind ?

God knows about the European stuff but i'll be surprised if they ever spend big fees on anyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Maybe part of the lack of defensive recruitment is that they are following the same rules set out for the forwards, young, English and good resale potential.

That really isn't an easy task and not what someone who knows football would set out when it comes to defenders.

Why pipe on about the foreign market then? 

Just now, Neal said:

Why pipe on about the foreign market then? 

Face saving, window dressing ?  Who knows but to be fair the way they've talked about doing it there'll be a long wait before it turns anything up and i personally wouldn't want them rushing in and spending money for the sake of it there's been some really expensive shockers from beyond these shores under Venkys....and a few before !

I'm more concerned about what the domestic scouting turns up or rather doesn't because from what i can see we still mainly recruit from similar avenues as before and signing the likes of Gallagher, Downing, Johnson and Walton doesn't need hands on scouting throughout the year we basically know what we are getting it's just a matter of fitness and back ground checks, still playing it safe.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Face saving, window dressing ?  Who knows but to be fair the way they've talked about doing it there'll be a long wait before it turns anything up and i personally wouldn't want them rushing in and spending money for the sake of it there's been some really expensive shockers from beyond these shores under Venkys....and a few before !

I'm more concerned about what the domestic scouting turns up or rather doesn't because from what i can see we still mainly recruit from similar avenues as before and signing the likes of Gallagher, Downing, Johnson and Walton doesn't need hands on scouting throughout the year we basically know what we are getting it's just a matter of fitness and back ground checks, still playing it safe.

Don't think they will spend g a lot of money in that market, I think the whole point of it was to find low budget gems, based on what the manager has said.

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We have tried for a keeper from foreign market. We tried for Adam Maher but decided to stay in Holland. We also tried for German midfielder aswell. 

No points or prizes for trying. Doing it is the way to success. We could try to sign Ronaldo if we cant or wont do what is needed then we are no further on.

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Very easy for us to say that without knowing the full facts of why each deal didnt happen. I know why Maher deal didnt happen

I don't think it really matters why they didn't come - the bottom line is they didn't.

I was perturbed through when Mowbray admitted that he leaves a lot of the negotiation to Venus. I've never heard of an assistant getting involved in player talks before.

• Like 2

Just now, neophox said:

Why would this Max Clark be anything? He's played around 30 games in total of his career in the Championship and spent the most time in League two on loan to clubs?

He looked decent enough against Ajax the other day. A nice pass in the lead up to the goal. 

13 hours ago, Tormund said:

Just now, DE. said:

Successful clubs get it done Chaddy. Losers make excuses, winners make it happen. We need a new mentality at the club if we really want to push on.

Couldn't agree more... 

Mowbray reminds me of a slightly more ambitious version of Bowyer... we are happy to remain mediocre and let's be honest the recruitment to date just hasn't been good enough.. failure to adress your absolute pain points is failure end of.

He just doesn't have a stretching mentality in my view... 

That said hes definitely the best manager we have had since Venkys took over and potted Sam.. which again is not the barometer, but the challenge we all have is we know what we could end up with! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DE. said:

Successful clubs get it done Chaddy. Losers make excuses, winners make it happen. We need a new mentality at the club if we really want to push on.

Can't see anything changing soon with our current set-up. Venus handling all transfers/negotiations with clubs etc. He's a coach FFS. Beyond amateur.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

9 minutes ago, DE. said:

A manager and CEO can make or break a club.

Invest in those two appointments to get the right quality and you've half a chance.  IMO,  employ third raters and you get what is happening, or not happening, at Rovers.

It's crazy paying very average players big dosh at the expense of not investing in your two key positions (manager and CEO).

• Like 2

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Can't see anything changing soon with our current set-up. Venus handling all transfers/negotiations with clubs etc. He's a coach FFS. Beyond amateur.

The management set up is incestuous, reflected in our transfer dealings. If they were any use it wouldn't be so bad.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead

Let's be honest, we need to sign some defenders by Thursday. If we don't, it's going to be a really long season.

'Defenders are coming'. 'Defensively, we're fine'. We aren't though, are we?

It's so blindingly obvious that we need defenders, the back four we started on Saturday was a disgrace.

3 days to go......

• Like 8