BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

16 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Get him to Barrow for the rest of the season...although they are looking at promotion so he might not get into that team.....

I know the Charnock Richard manager, Buckley might do a job for them 

He ain't going to a non league club. He's well above that level. 

• Backroom
21 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Needs a loan out to another club to get fans with a bit more patience - the "I want success this instant" here will never give him a chance

I think the Rovers fan base has actually been really patient with most players, certainly been no audible criticism from the stands for Buckley that he would pick up on.

The critique of his strengths and weaknesses has been online, surely there’s no issue with that.

Do you think all other teams message boards just fawn over strengths without mentioning any weaknesses?

With the likes of Brereton and Gallagher again I think the fans have been exceptionally patient; sounds like yesterday wasn’t nice but at Ewood people have been right behind them even praising and encouraging for basic stuff 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He ain't going to a non league club. He's well above that level. 

I am not sure how you can be so sure or he could have proven that this is the case, but ultimately he is absolutely nowhere near Championship level so I suspect the answer is somewhere in between.

I havent seen anything about him that makes me overly excited about the player he can become, I would suspect that League 2 may be the answer, because I am unconvinced that he could get regular football in League 1.

I am not saying necessarily that he should be brought back but it is a little hypocritical and ironic that Scott Whartons potential return to help ease our lack of defensive depth has been rubbished, because he needs to "become a man" when he has played over 50 games in the football league and has recently won the player of the month in League 2, whereas Buckley, a player quite clearly far less physically capable in comparison is immediately in a position to be regularly featuring in the Championship, in Mowbrays mind.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not sure how you can be so sure or he could have proven that this is the case, but ultimately he is absolutely nowhere near Championship level so I suspect the answer is somewhere in between.

I havent seen anything about him that makes me overly excited about the player he can become, I would suspect that League 2 may be the answer, because I am unconvinced that he could get regular football in League 1.

I am not saying necessarily that he should be brought back but it is a little hypocritical and ironic that Scott Whartons potential return to help ease our lack of defensive depth has been rubbished, because he needs to "become a man" when he has played over 50 games in the football league and has recently won the player of the month in League 2, whereas Buckley, a player quite clearly far less physically capable in comparison is immediately in a position to be regularly featuring in the Championship, in Mowbrays mind.

That does lend weight to the conspiracy theory put out on here earlier in the week.  Buckley in my opinion is no better than a couple of lads I know at PNE, and they are 16/17

• Like 1

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Someone suggested Mowbray was being told to play him such is the incredulity that he's getting in the first team squad.  He's nowhere near the standard required. 

Thanks. Sad to say that one can't rule such a theory out of hand. If true,this sort of thing does of course point to how difficult it would be to recruit a manager with a high standing in the game - the likes of Hughton and Warnock would simply refuse to go along with something like this.

14 minutes ago, DE. said:

There is literally no proof of this being the case. The manager has said time and time again that he makes all the decisions and has no interference from above. 

In fairness if that was the case, he would have actually started Brereton upfront on something resembling a consistent basis to increase his fee. 

Also plenty on here,who know more about the young lads than I were raving about Buckley before he got in the 1st team.

It just seems that the physicality of mens football is a bridge too far. No doubting he has more ability technically than Brereton for example 

34 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Someone suggested Mowbray was being told to play him such is the incredulity that he's getting in the first team squad.  He's nowhere near the standard required. 

Mowbray and the coaching staff highly rated Buckley which is what Ive heard at the start of the season. 

22 minutes ago, DE. said:

There is literally no proof of this being the case. The manager has said time and time again that he makes all the decisions and has no interference from above. 

Mowbray and Waggott have said this a number of times

I am also not into believing all the conspiracies about our owners only allowing the manager to spend on certain positions or forcing him to play certain players.

I judge Mowbrays transfer business at face value, which in the main has been dismal.

Also, whether Mowbray rates Buckley or not, I can see with my own eyes that he is nowhere near being Championship ready.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

That is ridiculous! Astonished what people can make up. I've watched him several times for the U23 last season and he was clearly the best player there. Thought he could make the step up this season, but I'll admit he isn't ready physically. It's not only the coaching staff that rate him, the players are also big fans. Dack, Cunningham and Bennett have all been on record saying they how much they rate him.  

A loan could probably do him good. He obvoious need time to adapt to the higher tempo and physical aspect of senior football. He will become a very good player, that I'm confident of.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, briansol said:

That is ridiculous! Astonished what people can make up. I've watched him several times for the U23 last season and he was clearly the best player there. Thought he could make the step up this season, but I'll admit he isn't ready physically. It's not only the coaching staff that rate him, the players are also big fans. Dack, Cunningham and Bennett have all been on record saying they how much they rate him.  

A loan could probably do him good. He obvoious need time to adapt to the higher tempo and physical aspect of senior football. He will become a very good player, that I'm confident of.

Great post ?

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

In fairness if that was the case, he would have actually started Brereton upfront on something resembling a consistent basis to increase his fee. 

Also plenty on here,who know more about the young lads than I were raving about Buckley before he got in the 1st team.

It just seems that the physicality of mens football is a bridge too far. No doubting he has more ability technically than Brereton for example 

Yep, it really is an simple as Brereton just not being anywhere near the standard required and a mistake from the manager in identifying him as a target to spend £7m on. No more no less.

The only time I've felt there may have been ulterior motives at play was earlier in the season when Sam Gallagher was starting no matter what, often out on the right wing, and wasn't being dropped despite repeatedly poor and ineffective performances. In that instance I did feel terms may have been given to Mowbray before signing off on Gallagher's fee - namely that he actually plays and benefits the club, unlike the £7m signing from the previous season. I still think that might be the case but with that said I still believe SG was identified and signed by TM without any input from the owners.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think in his last run of games he really struggled at times but not just because of his physique. He wasnt picking the right balls and he missed a sitter against huddersfield where he really snatched at a chance where he had time to pick his spot. He was right to come out then but hes clearly a talented lad and he has worked hard on his game by the sounds of things so good on him for taking his chance saturday.

Tony says his physique makes him an easy target but he is obviously aware it's an issue as he plays him in a more advanced position then he does for  the under 23's. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, Mike E said:

Hope Buckley was taking notes on Thiago's performance last night.

He's been too far forward most of the time to play in that way. There have been countless times at Ewood where I've seen him pick up the ball as the most advanced player with nobody in front of him to pass to, with the 'wide forwards' still being closer to the touchline than the penalty area and Travis and Rothwell hanging back. 

He can see a pass though and I'm sure he'd do well in a deeper role (as he isn't exactly a goal threat when playing further forward). He made a noticeable difference when he first came on against Stoke, just as you could clearly tell he had some ability. I'd have maybe had him alongside Travis. Let's be honest Johnson should never be starting ahead of him in any position. 

• Like 3

Iv been patient with buckley, even at times believing the hype, I’m now well off that train of thought , I don’t think he is capable of taking his game to the next level, believe his next move will be down the league rather than premier. Pinging a few nice passes round the middle isn’t going to get you far. If he can’t penetrate or score then he isn’t much. He may press well but so did Jason lowe

• Backroom
3 hours ago, frosty said:

He's been too far forward most of the time to play in that way. There have been countless times at Ewood where I've seen him pick up the ball as the most advanced player with nobody in front of him to pass to, with the 'wide forwards' still being closer to the touchline than the penalty area and Travis and Rothwell hanging back. 

He can see a pass though and I'm sure he'd do well in a deeper role (as he isn't exactly a goal threat when playing further forward). He made a noticeable difference when he first came on against Stoke, just as you could clearly tell he had some ability. I'd have maybe had him alongside Travis. Let's be honest Johnson should never be starting ahead of him in any position. 

I'd play the pair of them in midfield, a la Savage and Tugay.