BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

Just now, benhben said:

I think if Fifa actually go through with this, there would be a player revolt. Harry Kane and co will not want to miss a world cup or Euros. I cant see Rashford after campaigning for free kids meals, being happy to play in a closed league for the enjoyment of foreign billionaires. 

Whilst wages are astronomical, most players came from working class background and I still think (hope) they have the conscience to know this is very wrong. 

Exactly, a legal minefield for the clubs that have agreed to this. Kane etc might go to court to get their contracts terminated or they might take FIFA to court if they are banned from internationals. 

This appears to be a desperate attempt by the '12' to blackmail UEFA into giving in to their demands around the CL. Thing is it looks to have massively backfired. They can't go back without losing face/power. 

I think it is embarrassing for the clubs involved.

If I was in charge of the football authorities I would elect now to take a firm stance against them. Expulsion from international tournaments and expulsion from competitive leagues should they elect to play for these clubs. If they want to make a Super League that is exempt from performance based rewards (ie no relegation) then let them do it and allow them to bathe in their own superiority.

If players want to play in such a competition then they clearly do not have the integrity required to be a professional athlete.

I would be even tougher and then say that if you do decide to go work for a club in the Super League you cannot then come back and work in the field of competitive of football. That would put a lot of managers off, who know their time in the big clubs is limited, and see a talent drain from the so-called "super clubs".

Don't let it go un-noticed that some of these super clubs may not even qualify for the Champions League even in its current "places for the boys" format. 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I read that prospective EPL members would have to resign from the PL so it might be a case of who blinks first if this goes ahead. 

The sneaky,  underhanded way this has been done makes me think Waggott could get a job with one of them clubs 😂.

"The Europeansuper league is an excellent idea Steve, not sure about the new housing estates though?"

Was thinking the same Dreams. As soon as you have ESL appearance you are unable to play in the regular league. You'd hope it would put a lot of people off going there because if the move doesn't work out you either play for Arsenal or no one at all. Either way your career is over. 

There needs to be a hard stance on this and if it sets football back 30 years that might not be the worst thing in the world. 

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

PSG would be out on a limb domestically as sole French club.

Don't be surprised if they soon change their mind with s more softly wait and see the reaction approach.

I don't see PSG, Bayern Munich and Dortmund joining this European Super League. So which other 8 clubs will join this European Super League? 

Also Fans groups whether its Liverpool or Spurs condemning their clubs actions to join this ESL. 

So why did these clubs not consult their fans bases? I wonder if these owners and club presidents will go through with it? 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Got to laugh at the faux outrage from the ex players, pundits and journalists. Presumably they will boycott any coverage of this competition and refuse work for it.

Of course not. Half this lot will be straight on the plane to Milan and Madrid, 5 star Hotel and all expenses paid.

and what about the views of Manchester United greatest ever manager Sir Alex Ferguson's comments. 

5 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

"The Europeansuper league is an excellent idea Steve, not sure about the new housing estates though?"

I've got images of him salivating at the prospect of turning nou camp into a shopping centre "Barca can stadium share with one of the Madrids and we can move Lidl into the North Stand" 

• Backroom

Sounds like for some of these clubs the proposal might be coming from a place of desperation rather than greed. Some pretty big debts built up with no way to repay them based on the current economic model. For others it will just be pure greed, however. 

The regular leagues have little choice but to impose some pretty harsh sanctions if they want any semblance of their authority to remain. Allowing the so-called 'big' clubs to walk all over them would completely destroy credibility and make it obvious the leagues have essentially been usurped by a collection of rich foreign owners. 

In my view these clubs simply can't be allowed to join the ESL and remain in their domestic competitions, as it makes a total mockery of the latter. It's one or the other. Entertain both and what still remains of the integrity of the domestic leagues is shot to pieces. 

I sincerely hope that this is a turning point in the sport.

Even if the notion this was a "negotiating stance" regarding CL amendments is true then it points towards a serious lack of integrity amongst the owners of those clubs. Does this not make them fail the "fit and proper" test? They are essentially moving to remove competition. It is not in the spirit of sport at all.

The 'football pyramid' is not at risk of collapse if the fans of the sport will it. The Supporters' trusts of each English club have come out in condemnation of the proposals. If they boycott then the clubs will listen. True, their places will be replaced with tourist fans, but the whole fun of the sport will be taken from them. A midweek re-run of Man Utd vs Real Madrid 3 times a year won't be fun for anyone, nor will watching the invitees getting trounced year in year out by the JP Morgan bank rolled 'super clubs'.

Thoroughly disheartened at the proposals but it cements what we have known for a long time: the game is dying and it is now more important to see share prices rise than enjoyment for fans. 

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Culture, media and Sports minister Oliver Dowden will be making a statement in the House of Commons this afternoon. 

Useless minister makes vacuous statement. That’ll fix it

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Have Rovers purposely positioned themselves as a training academy for Liverpool and City ?

European Super League Training Academy (North UK) - formerly Blackburn Rovers FC.

It would be north England.  As north UK is Scotland 

Football started out as the game of aristocrats Old Etonians etc before it was taken over by the working classes/ masses. Is this a case of football returning to its elite roots? 

It makes me smile if fans think they are going to have any say in this or try to stop it. The wealthy have made their decision and the plebs will have to go along with it 

• Moderation Lead
13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Apart from the these 12 club owners or club presidents who else has endorse this European Super League? 

Our very own Richard Oakley by the looks of things....

2 minutes ago, den said:

Mourinho sacked.

Seems weird that they would sack him this close to the cup final even with their recent form. Distraction tactic or did Mourinho tell Levy that Spurs were a small club that don't belong near a "super league"?

Edited by RTM08

Old Harry Kane told the board it was either him or Jose. Over-rated club that gets friendly publicity because alot of sports writers are London based.  Everton and Newcastle have as much right as Spuds to be in the ESL. 

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Old Harry Kane told the board it was either him or Jose. Over-rated club that gets friendly publicity because alot of sports writers are London based.  Everton and Newcastle have as much right as Spuds to be in the ESL. 

At least Newcastle have won a European competition this century (albeit the Intertoto Cup).

50 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It makes me smile if fans think they are going to have any say in this or try to stop it. The wealthy have made their decision and the plebs will have to go along with it 

You're absolutely right. The only way that this won't got ahead is if there is some kind of player / manager revolut and it needs to be the big name glamour players. 

I can see players like Jordan Henderson not agreeing with it and potentially speaking out against it but it needs your A-listers to not want to play in it. Imagine if it was shunned by the likes of Pep. You'd hope that enough of these players are not THAT far removed from what the game means and what the fans want.