BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone at Rovers even dreams if selling Rhodes, they want their bumps felt. Yesterdays performance shows that the result against Barnsley wasn't reliant on playing 10 men alone!

For once we seem to have the nucleus of a decent team (note to Venkys- must buy Cairney), if they have any aspirations towards going up, and moreover, keeping faith with the fans, they MUST reject any and all approaches for Rhodes, no matter where they come from.

It is going to be a nervous 36 hours or so.

Even though we have said that we won't sell him to another Championship club, Wigan will be testing Rovers with a bid. They are about to sell McCarthy and also McManaman,that will bring them around £18 million. They are getting Powell in from United on loan so that leaves them with a a lot of money should they wish to bid for Rhodes.

So are Wigan making a bid or not? Insife info or are you just guessing?

If Rhodes is sold at this late stage in the window then I would imagine the gate for the next home game will be down by a couple of thousand. After a couple of resounding victories, the fans on a high, and football team looking something like what we're used to, they wouldn't sell the best goal scorer we've had in years, would they? :rock:

Ps - give mercerman a break, I've been one of his biggest critics, but its good to have him around.

If Rhodes is sold at this late stage in the window then I would imagine the gate for the next home game will be down by a couple of thousand. After a couple of resounding victories, the fans on a high, and football team looking something like what we're used to, they wouldn't sell the best goal scorer we've had in years, would they? :rock:

Ps - give mercerman a break, I've been one of his biggest critics, but its good to have him around.

No it's not.

I have been quite vocal in my opinion of Rhodes over the last 10 months or so. He isn't the best striker we've had since Shearer, he's not a great all round player, and I still feel that we will see him disappear in plenty of games this season, naturally because he doesn't do the dirty side of the game very well. But if there is a chance that we can begin to play to his strengths and continue to create plenty of opportunities, my god what a weapon to have.

To sell him now would be suicide on our part. No time to bring in adequate replacements from elsewhere and a less than impressive selection to choose from internally, all momentum of the last few weeks would be lost and replaced by a sense of complete misery around the club again.

If we had sold in July, could we have replaced him adequately? I certainly feel that our starting 11 could have been better than it is today. Sometimes in a strong team, you don't need that 27 goal a season man because better players all weigh in with goals (Cardiff last season). That is personally what I would have been looking to do (had I been in Bowyers shoes). Yes sacrifice a top top goalscorer - but for the benefit of creating a stronger unit.

Anyway, I'm putting this to bed - I for one hope Rhodes stays. If Bowyer has managed to create a side here, that can control games and have him as the main striker - what a combination that is.

It is going to be a nervous 36 hours or so.

Even though we have said that we won't sell him to another Championship club, Wigan will be testing Rovers with a bid. They are about to sell McCarthy and also McManaman,that will bring them around £18 million. They are getting Powell in from United on loan so that leaves them with a a lot of money should they wish to bid for Rhodes.

I also would be amazed if there isn't a bid from a PL club before the close of the window. Newcastle, Hull and West Brom remain interested, but the key thing is are they willing to put in a £10 million plus bid? The other one to watch is West Ham, they are getting desperate for a striker, if they fail to land Ba on loan then they could also turn their attention to Rhodes. Although Venky's would be loathed to do business with Big Sam.

Fingers crossed that we can keep hold of him.

Hands clasped together and looking skywards!

• Backroom

I would be absolutely furious if we sold Rhodes to a team in the Championship. Barring a ridiculous offer (I'm talking £20m+) it simply isn't worth it at this stage in the window.

I could to an extent understand accepting a bid from a Premier League club though. I'd still be disappointed but if there's a bid of over £10m and Rhodes is interested I don't think we could do much to stop him going.

I'm not too worried about Hull, Newcastle or WBA as I can't see them stumping up the £10m +wages required to snag Jordan. West Ham are more of a concern, but Big Sam's bad relationship with Venky's may make that a no-go unless they put it a significant offer.

Everton are still the ones I'm slightly nervous about. They've drawn their first 3 games and despite a lot of possession and creating some chances they are struggling to score. After his initial decent run at the start of his Everton tenure Jelavic has been poor, Anichibe has never been a regular first teamer and Kone is still settling in. If they got significant money for Fellaini and/or Baines from United I could definitely see them taking a punt on Rhodes to be the guy to convert their possession and chances into goals.

Let's hope we can hold onto him. Nervous times ahead.

• Moderation Lead

It would make no sense to sell him to Wigan, a smaller club than us. A PL club fair enough.

If we sell him to a PL club it would be understandable. I swear some on here want us to sell him just to vindicate Nixon and Nixon mark 2.

Why are we even worrying about selling to Wigan? We are a much bigger club than them in the same damn league! He's hardly going to hand in a transfer request if we reject a bid from Wigan. I am only worried if a Prem team comes in for him.

You mean we used to be a bigger club than Wigan. We're not anymore, Venkies have seen to that.

• Moderation Lead

Wigan's PL average attendance was nowhere near ours. We've been in the top 2 divisions for the majority of our history.

It's a complete miracle that they got anywhere near the PL ever.

Guest Norbert

Wigan may be shipping out a few of their top players that will give them cash, but it will damage the quality of their midfield, and therefore the supply to Rhodes. That is assuming he'd leave to go to rugbytown Athletic, which I am doubtful. It is a sideways move. Newcastle may launch a panic buy though, since they have been playing Ameobi recently out of desperation.

If he does end up going, I hope to goodness we have a target to replace him, and it isn't finalised 5 minutes before the window closes.

After all the complete mess and suspicious things under Venkys tenure we have now the tiniest sprouting green shoot of a sembelance of some sort of recovery or at the very least a speck of positivity. Selling Rhodes to ANY other Championship rival for anything less than a ridiculous 15 million or so would wipe all that out again. They should not even consider it if they genuinely want to rebuild this club. This will be a MASSIVE statement of intent from then. Otherwise it's back to the old conspiracy theories. I hope they read these posts !

Wigan's PL average attendance was nowhere near ours. We've been in the top 2 divisions for the majority of our history.

It's a complete miracle that they got anywhere near the PL ever.

That miracle is called Dave Whelan, their equivalent of Jack Walker

Wigan may be shipping out a few of their top players that will give them cash, but it will damage the quality of their midfield, and therefore the supply to Rhodes. That is assuming he'd leave to go to rugbytown Athletic, which I am doubtful. It is a sideways move. Newcastle may launch a panic buy though, since they have been playing Ameobi recently out of desperation.

If he does end up going, I hope to goodness we have a target to replace him, and it isn't finalised 5 minutes before the window closes.

Not sure if Ashley would stump up 10 to 12 m on a player who 's value really is not going to up from there he does not really fit the Ashley mold.

Everybody knows Mercerman will be gutted if Rhodes is here come Tuesday. MM still seems to have credibility with some people, as phlipl did for a long while, but hopefully if Rhodes stays it will finally end it to an extent where he stays very, very quiet.

More on topic, selling Rhodes now would confirm that the owner's interest in the club is over, and the season would be finished already.

Guest Norbert

Pretty much how I see it too Batman. Rhodes has been the one positive thing during the whole sh_tstorm of recent games, and selling him would basically state that Venky's have decided to pull the plug.

Pretty much how I see it too Batman. Rhodes has been the one positive thing during the whole sh_tstorm of recent games, and selling him would basically state that Venky's have decided to pull the plug.

One positive thing? I would say there have been half a dozen positive things. King, Cairney, Evans, Lowe, Spurr, Dunn, Kane all have looked very good alongside Rhodes.

We don't look a one man team at all.

Archived