BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

I was disappointed with the 1-1 result tonight, but the team performed OK. We just missed too many chances. Burns and Garret stood out for me. Saadi looked good coming out of defence. The ref was abysmal. 

Edited by rigger

The old chant “ the referee’s a wanker” was applicable. Some of his decisions were absolutely fucking mind boggling. The new boys settled in well, the centre half no6 was settled in, and the young fullback who replaced Rankin-Costello was excellent. The future is bright it’s blue and white. Just hope Waggott and Mowbray don’t fuck it up.

11 hours ago, rigger said:

I was disappointed with the 1-1 result tonight, but the team performed OK. We just missed too many chances. Burns and Garret stood out for me. Saadi looked good coming out of defence. The ref was abysmal. 

The U23 would be dissapointed not to win last night. Should've scored at least 3-4 goals, but wasteful finishing let them down. Leicester scored a worldie of a long-range shot. 

Lined up in 4-2-1-3 formation. Ranking-Costello was giving 45 min as right-back while Pike was shifted to left. Young Gamble came in for his debut as a centre-back and didn't look out of place. No word on why Ash Phillips was involved, but could be managing his game load. Commentator mentioned that Barnes and Whitehall is injured, and that's why they haven't been involved so far this season.

Rankin-Costello came through fine, showing some excellent deliveries and great in possesion. Looked like a grown man playing with kids at time, although you could see he was a bit rusty. 

Burns was excellent in the first half with his usual all-action display. Scored an excellent goal rounding the keeper, but probably should've had a hattrick. His only downside is that he is not clinical enough. 

Also agree with Garrett. So calm in possession, great vision and excellent tackling. You can see why the club rewarded him with a 3-year deal, while most of the others got a 2 year deal in the summer. He's a great tackler, but needs to learn to when to apply the right amount of force. Had an over-the-top tackle on a winger going nowhere, which resulted in a yellow, but I've seen red given at this level for similar tackles.

McBride played behind the striker, but never got involved. Was subsistuted for Gilsenan, who was excellent when he came on. Will be exciting to see if can step-up, because U23 haven't had a proper attacking midfielder for some time.

Vale has looked a bit out-of-sorts this season and maybe lacks confidence. Yesterday was no different, a few good involvements, but lacked edge and turned over possession multiple times. 

Brennan set-up the goal and looked okay going foward. However he continues to struggle with defensive side shying out of headers and never tackles. The transition from U18 where he could just get on the ball to the more physical side seems to be a bit of struggle for him.

George Gent came in at half-time at left-back and did fine again. Another U18 who looks to have something about him. Very good delivery with his left foot and often takes set-pieces. 

All-in-all the U23 hasn't had the results they deserve. But they continue to play good football and dominating matches against PL oppositions.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, briansol said:

The U23 would be dissapointed not to win last night. Should've scored at least 3-4 goals, but wasteful finishing let them down. Leicester scored a worldie of a long-range shot. 

Lined up in 4-2-1-3 formation. Ranking-Costello was giving 45 min as right-back while Pike was shifted to left. Young Gamble came in for his debut as a centre-back and didn't look out of place. No word on why Ash Phillips was involved, but could be managing his game load. Commentator mentioned that Barnes and Whitehall is injured, and that's why they haven't been involved so far this season.

Rankin-Costello came through fine, showing some excellent deliveries and great in possesion. Looked like a grown man playing with kids at time, although you could see he was a bit rusty. 

Burns was excellent in the first half with his usual all-action display. Scored an excellent goal rounding the keeper, but probably should've had a hattrick. His only downside is that he is not clinical enough. 

Also agree with Garrett. So calm in possession, great vision and excellent tackling. You can see why the club rewarded him with a 3-year deal, while most of the others got a 2 year deal in the summer. He's a great tackler, but needs to learn to when to apply the right amount of force. Had an over-the-top tackle on a winger going nowhere, which resulted in a yellow, but I've seen red given at this level for similar tackles.

McBride played behind the striker, but never got involved. Was subsistuted for Gilsenan, who was excellent when he came on. Will be exciting to see if can step-up, because U23 haven't had a proper attacking midfielder for some time.

Vale has looked a bit out-of-sorts this season and maybe lacks confidence. Yesterday was no different, a few good involvements, but lacked edge and turned over possession multiple times. 

Brennan set-up the goal and looked okay going foward. However he continues to struggle with defensive side shying out of headers and never tackles. The transition from U18 where he could just get on the ball to the more physical side seems to be a bit of struggle for him.

George Gent came in at half-time at left-back and did fine again. Another U18 who looks to have something about him. Very good delivery with his left foot and often takes set-pieces. 

All-in-all the U23 hasn't had the results they deserve. But they continue to play good football and dominating matches against PL oppositions.

A decent summary. Phillips is with the first team squad in Middlesbrough. I didn't realise it was Gambles first game at that level - he gave a mature, assured performance.

11 hours ago, JohnGo said:

The old chant “ the referee’s a wanker” was applicable. Some of his decisions were absolutely fucking mind boggling. The new boys settled in well, the centre half no6 was settled in, and the young fullback who replaced Rankin-Costello was excellent. The future is bright it’s blue and white. Just hope Waggott and Mowbray don’t fuck it up.

We know they will. Be allowed to run out of contract, play well and get dropped, play out of position and fail to keep their pay up to their ability levels.

Its just inevitable.

• Like 1

Annesley again involved in Gibraltar's squad for games against Latvia, Turkey and Norway. Realistic chance of points against Latvia, who have a lot of Riga FC and RFS players. Could be of interest to scouts looking at Lincoln's players, after the Gibraltar champions knocked out Riga (hence why Gibraltar could realistically win next week) to secure a spot in the Group Stage of the Europa Conference League (where they'll face PAOK, Copenhagen and Slovan Bratislava). New Wycombe Wanderers striker Tjay De Barr also involved.

Very impressive to see that young Ashely Phillips, who'll have sat his GCSE's a couple of months ago, travelled with the 1st team to Middlesbrough this weekend. His first few outings at 23's level have been very impressive and I think we've got a serious talent on our hands here.

@chaddyroversSheron is managing the 23's.

On 28/08/2021 at 11:34, Sparks Rover said:

Accrington u23 beat citeh 6-1 the other week...this football is irrelevant to first team football.

I've never claimed otherwise. Just comparing U23 vs the opposition they're playing, which is mostly PL clubs who spends million poaching young talent around the world. 

Have on multiple times highlighted the gap between this level and senior football. It's boys football that is quick and technical, while there is barely a tackle and rarely a 6ft striker. The physical part of the game can't be learned here, so they really need to go on loan to be ready.

It's also quite easy to see when players have outgrown the level and needs senior football. Buckley, JRC, Magloire found it too easy in the end. Pike, McBride and probably Vale needs to go on loan to not stagnate. Garrett's looking ready, but might need half a season to fill out and wise up some of his tackling.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, briansol said:

I've never claimed otherwise. Just comparing U23 vs the opposition they're playing, which is mostly PL clubs who spends million poaching young talent around the world. 

Have on multiple times highlighted the gap between this level and senior football. It's boys football that is quick and technical, while there is barely a tackle and rarely a 6ft striker. The physical part of the game can't be learned here, so they really need to go on loan to be ready.

It's also quite easy to see when players have outgrown the level and needs senior football. Buckley, JRC, Magloire found it too easy in the end. Pike, McBride and probably Vale needs to go on loan to not stagnate. Garrett's looking ready, but might need half a season to fill out and wise up some of his tackling.

Garrett is the one that looks the most likely to succeed at this level to me. Been very impressed every time I see him.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Garrett is the one that looks the most likely to succeed at this level to me. Been very impressed every time I see him.

Personally as well as Garrett, I would add Burns, maybe Pike, definately Phillips.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rigger said:

Personally as well as Garrett, I would add Burns, maybe Pike, definately Phillips.

Are we not lowering standards.? 

Overall the percentage chance of a young player from the academy becoming a pro is very very slight, you are advocating throwing in 3/4 in this breath plus some you've probably missed that are on the bench now.

You'd be lucky to get one through each year when I was playing in the late 80s early 90s....Gareth ainsworth never got a game etc for example but had a cracking career lower down....

Is Bucko really anywhere near as good as Mark Patterson?

Edited by Sparks Rover

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not really the point you are making but Paddy would be the first to admit that he wouldn't have made it as a pro in this day and age.

But to answer your question, Buckley isn't in the same league as Paddy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Not really the point you are making but Paddy would be the first to admit that he wouldn't have made it as a pro in this day and age.

But to answer your question, Buckley isn't in the same league as Paddy.

Aye, not fast and 6ft 2....imagine Matt Le Tissier in the academy system.  Lazy, can't run........

• Like 1

Overall the percentage chance of a young player from the academy becoming a pro is very very slight, you are advocating throwing in 3/4 in this breath plus some you've probably missed that are on the bench now.

You'd be lucky to get one through each year when I was playing in the late 80s early 90s....Gareth ainsworth never got a game etc for example but had a cracking career lower down....

From how I read the discussion you joined, neither of them was advocating throwing those players in right now. They're just touting the ones most likely to succeed at some point. Not guaranteed, and not immediately. I'm sure they'll correct me if that's not right.

I'd imagine most fans are aware that good prospects fail more frequently than they make it.

I am not lowering my standards. Those I have mentioned, I think will play Rovers first team, or above,  regularly. You mentioned Buckley, not me. 

Edited by rigger

6 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm talking statistically they can't all be good enough.  That's all

I am not going to argue with you, over my opinion. But it is a good job Alex Furguson didn't read those same statistics.

Edited by rigger

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm talking statistically they can't all be good enough.  That's all

You're probably correct. I think we're lucky if we get one player a year who become an established Championship player. Some might get there debut and then never kick on. Some might turn pro and carve out a career in the lower leagues, like Matty Pearson.

Watching a bit of U23 over the last years, it's hard to tell who will make it. The only one I was certain of was Buckley would have a decent career. Hayden Carter's progress surprised me because he was dependable, but no standout, also playing several positions for the U23.

Of the current squad, I'm certain that Pike will at least be a decent League One right-back. Garrett continues to progress, he looks like someone who can make it for the first team. Biggest star potential is Ash Phillips at barely 16. Should be a PL footballer if he doesn't become another Robbie Cotton, or get hit by severe injuries.

Several has potential to at least become pro's: Cirino, Whitehall, Burns, Barnes etc.