BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

really, How many academy players have he bought through now? JRC, Buckley, Carter, Travis, Wharton. And there is plenty more to come through still like Burns, McBride, Garrett, etc 

And I disagree we can't appealed to young players to progress to the next level of their career. 

I said he wasn't very good at it.

5 hours ago, rigger said:

The next stage of his career, would be to hold down a place in an U23s side. He could well be on the brink of doing this at the Rovers, who are almost as good as any U23s side. The step after that would be to hold down a first team place. He would have more chance of making that step at the Rovers. If after that he proves to be good enough, he would get his big time move. Phil Jones as an example.

Perhaps so, but if TM is leaving then where does that leave him? I can see the benefits of him staying, but equally I can see the potential benefits of leaving too. There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding Rovers these days, which may mean he departs.

7 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

I said he wasn't very good at it.

Perhaps so, but if TM is leaving then where does that leave him? I can see the benefits of him staying, but equally I can see the potential benefits of leaving too. There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding Rovers these days, which may mean he departs.

I was just disagreeing that The Rovers cannot offer Phillips the progress in his career, that other clubs could. How he goes about it is upto him.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rigger said:

The next stage of his career, would be to hold down a place in an U23s side. He could well be on the brink of doing this at the Rovers, who are almost as good as any U23s side. The step after that would be to hold down a first team place. He would have more chance of making that step at the Rovers. If after that he proves to be good enough, he would get his big time move. Phil Jones as an example.

If a Prem club comes in and offers him 10-15k a week for 4 years, setting him up for life, with the plan of loaning him out to develop with first team football, that would be hard to turn down.

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If a Prem club comes in and offers him 10-15k a week for 4 years, setting him up for life, with the plan of loaning him out to develop with first team football, that would be hard to turn down.

I totally agree, but if Rovers offered him the same money, but with a reasonable chance of first team football he may opt for the Rovers. The only premier teams that will offer that sort of money on a gamble, are probably the top six clubs. As an inexperianced youngster he would have no chance at first team center-half at any of those clubs.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

I totally agree, but if Rovers offered him the same money, but with a reasonable chance of first team football he may opt for the Rovers. The only premier teams that will offer that sort of money on a gamble, are probably the top six clubs. As an inexperianced youngster he would have no chance at first team center-half at any of those clubs.

Zero chance we are offering him that sort of money by next year. Even if we did, they could gazump it easily, it's peanuts to Prem sides now, even the midtable ones, if they rate him enough. Especially when they get the loaning clubs to foot the bill. As I said he wouldn't need to worry about being first choice at one of those Prem clubs cos they could just loan him out.

The premier league kids without a first team appearance are out of our wage budget to loan even with half the wages paid. I haven’t seen this kid but if he’s as good as people are saying on here we can’t compete with any of the premier league clubs . Training with better players at better academies on better wages with better coaches  . If someone wants him he’s gone. They will sell him the first team route as much as us as well as sister clubs to be loaned out to and he will believe in his ability. I just hope we can tie him down although he will be probably get sold to Brighton for 3 million before moving to Arsenal for 50 the following summer with no sell on. 

13 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Zero chance we are offering him that sort of money by next year. Even if we did, they could gazump it easily, it's peanuts to Prem sides now, even the midtable ones, if they rate him enough. Especially when they get the loaning clubs to foot the bill. As I said he wouldn't need to worry about being first choice at one of those Prem clubs cos they could just loan him out.

By next year I would say there is zero chance any club will be offering him that sort of money. My point is that the Rovers do have options that they could offer which dependant on how Phillips sees his career developing, he may take.

3 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

The premier league kids without a first team appearance are out of our wage budget to loan even with half the wages paid. I haven’t seen this kid but if he’s as good as people are saying on here we can’t compete with any of the premier league clubs . Training with better players at better academies on better wages with better coaches  . If someone wants him he’s gone. They will sell him the first team route as much as us as well as sister clubs to be loaned out to and he will believe in his ability. I just hope we can tie him down although he will be probably get sold to Brighton for 3 million before moving to Arsenal for 50 the following summer with no sell on. 

At academy level he is not training with better players, coaches, or academy. That is the point of our Cat 1 approval, and our standing in the league.

10 minutes ago, rigger said:

By next year I would say there is zero chance any club will be offering him that sort of money. My point is that the Rovers do have options that they could offer which dependant on how Phillips sees his career developing, he may take.

There definitely isn't zero chance. It entirely depends on how good he proves to be. There is absolutely precedent for this at his age. Elliott for instance. If he forces his way into our first team, look how much Bellingham moved for at 17. Not saying he will move for that kind of dough, but moving for a fraction of that would still see him on the 10-15k region of wages. Entirely dependent on how well he does and how highly he is rated.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

There definitely isn't zero chance. It entirely depends on how good he proves to be. There is absolutely precedent for this at his age. Elliott for instance. If he forces his way into our first team, look how much Bellingham moved for at 17. Not saying he will move for that kind of dough, but moving for a fraction of that would still see him on the 10-15k region of wages. Entirely dependent on how well he does and how highly he is rated.

I stand by my statement. Let's see how it pans out.

2 hours ago, rigger said:

I stand by my statement. Let's see how it pans out.

If you say we need to see how it pans out, then you accept the probability is not zero. Seeing how it pans out won't impact my argument - I only said it could happen, not that it will.

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

15k a week is about our wage ceiling for our top players. I cant see us giving that to a 17-year old kid. Not yet anyway.

And so we shouldn't.

12 hours ago, arbitro said:

It's almost like Mowbray is putting the young man in the shop window. He has been quoted twice in recent days eulogising about him.

My thoughts as well Arbitro.

Truth is though, all the top clubs will be well aware of him and his situation. I don’t think they’ll need Mowbrays help at all.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, den said:

My thoughts as well Arbitro.

Truth is though, all the top clubs will be well aware of him and his situation. I don’t think they’ll need Mowbrays help at all.

Mowbray's astatements are not about Phillips so much as himself.

Bad night for the u23s in the Premier League Cup. Thrashed 4-1 by Notts Forest, who operate in a lower league than us. They did, however, field a very young side, whilst Forest included Lolley in theirs. He gives our first team a torrid time, so unsurprisingly he gave our kids a torrid time too by the sound of it, including scoring 2.

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Bad night for the u23s in the Premier League Cup. Thrashed 4-1 by Notts Forest, who operate in a lower league than us. They did, however, field a very young side, whilst Forest included Lolley in theirs. He gives our first team a torrid time, so unsurprisingly he gave our kids a torrid time too by the sound of it, including scoring 2.

I think it’s going to be a tough season for Mike and the under23s. With most of the boys either playing for the first team or on the bench it will essentially be the u18s for most of the games. If they avoid relegation it will be a brilliant season.

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Yeah it was a very inexperienced side out from us, against a Forest team littered with experience. Even Jalil Saadi who was advertised to start dropped out before kick off. An 18's side plus a couple, and not even a strong 18's side at that.

12 hours ago, bluebruce said:

If you say we need to see how it pans out, then you accept the probability is not zero. Seeing how it pans out won't impact my argument - I only said it could happen, not that it will.

And so we shouldn't.

In my opinion, the probability is zero. The possability is unlikely.

I feel that players like Pears, Magloire and Davenport desperately need games with the U23s, rather than going away to training camps or get togethers with the first team squad, if that's where they are. They're fringe players that will, most likely, not play much but if and when they're called upon, it would help to have some confidence and game time to rely on, albeit, at U23 level.

Edit: Just seen Roversfan99's post below, which explains why they didn't feature in the U23s. Burns, McBride and Cirino, who did play for the U23s, must be disappointed that they didn't get selected for that reserve team friendly. I just hope that the decision not to send them on loan doesn't damage their confidence and development.

Edited by riverholmes

1 minute ago, riverholmes said:

I feel that players like Pears, Magloire and Davenport desperately need games with the U23s, rather than going away to training camps or get togethers with the first team squad, if that's where they are. They're fringe players that will, most likely, not play much but if and when they're called upon, it would help to have some confidence and game time to rely on.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19563280.details-blackburn-rovers-behind-closed-doors-friendly/

They played in a behind closed doors friendly apparently.