BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

5 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Buckley;s best form was playing with the high press alongside Dolan. Playing on the front front in the final third. I don;t think playing further back suits him.

Think it's more of a confidence dip as someone suggested. He played very well in the first couple of matches but faded badly afterwards (as most of the team).  Also think he put pressure on himself before the season to become the main man in the midfield and that looks to have had an adverse effect on him. He'll come good again, no doubt. Morton and Wharton has deservedly gone ahead in the queue, but the season is long and form will fluctuate. 

Would also like to see Garrett get an opportunity esp with Travis out. He is competitive, but has all the composure and passing that Travis lacks in that role. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

He does not get time on the ball playing deep especially when teams employ a high press. Up until yesterday Rovers have deployed a midfield two against a three which usually allows two to hunt him down and maybe the three may help him although he is low on confidence

It's a good observation. Not only Buckley has struggled, but it has been a structural and tactical problem throughout the season. The midfield two has been overloaded, and the passing options forward has not been available. Putting Wharton in really helped to open up more passing lanes, as well as Breo and Gallagher running the lanes to create options to put it in behind

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, briansol said:

Think it's more of a confidence dip as someone suggested. He played very well in the first couple of matches but faded badly afterwards (as most of the team).  Also think he put pressure on himself before the season to become the main man in the midfield and that looks to have had an adverse effect on him. He'll come good again, no doubt. Morton and Wharton has deservedly gone ahead in the queue, but the season is long and form will fluctuate. 

Would also like to see Garrett get an opportunity esp with Travis out. He is competitive, but has all the composure and passing that Travis lacks in that role. 

Confidence comes and go but it can be influenced by not playing in your best position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Maybe its just a change of manager and has lost some confidence feeling that he is under pressure to perform. We know he has talent so JDT should be getting the best out of him. 

It also falls on Buckley to get the best out of himself.

Smozzie did an admirable job defensilbely yesterday but for me he is not a starter. Ball never sticks with him. He is a good one to bring on similar to yesterday or when we are winning and the oppo leaves space at the back for the counter. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Thought he was just struggling to make the squad due to the involvement of almost-first-teamers like Markanday, Vale etc and the form of Leonard.

I just can't believe he doesn't even make the U21s bench. In my opinion Burns is better prospect than either Hirst or Markanday.

Edited by rigger

The contract extensions for Sam Burns and Dan Butterworth haven't really benefited the club. Would probably have been best to have let at least one go in the summer. Burns needed a loan move too, if he wasn't going to be involved but has disappeared without update from the club. I suppose, he could be injured.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I just can't believe he doesn't even make the U21s bench. In my opinion Burns is better prospect than either Hirst or Markanday.

Leonard is the one that needs a chance in the first team area next.  I've been impressed with him and his development.  He's been outstanding against some good sides at U21s etc (he was our only player v Liverpool u23s last season and they had a team full of Mortons who are all on loan at clubs, Bradley at Bolton too).

I'd like to see him on the bench.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There aren't too many names I recognise in today's under 21 game. There is no Harlock, Leonard, Gamble, Pratt and a host of others I would have expected to start. Strange to say the least.

Think JDT said something about us playing an internal game tomorrow including some of the U21s and the first teamers not in today's squad.

• Like 2

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Think JDT said something about us playing an internal game tomorrow including some of the U21s and the first teamers not in today's squad.

Thanks for that. Personally I would have though a 90 minute competitive match would be more beneficial to the players than a BCD friendly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Thanks for that. Personally I would have though a 90 minute competitive match would be more beneficial to the players than a BCD friendly.

Yeah, I must admit it's not obvious to me what the advantage is. I suppose playing first teamers in these fixtures blocks the progress of the next crop of lads, so they might be wanting to have a game to keep fitness up whilst at the same time letting some of the kids play a competitive game? 

JDT wants as many of his players to be as “match ready” as possible rather than fringe first team players spending a lot of time on the bench not getting match fitness. Hence the practice over recent weeks of having 5/6 players from the first team squad in the under 21 team.

But I guess that greatly reduces the opportunities for the younger players coming through to get game experience at under 21 level. So this week he looks to be playing all those who don’t get a game today in a BCD match.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arbitro said:

Do u21 games count as competitive? I mean by definition, I'm not dismissing the standard or disagreeing with your point. Although if there's no u21 games playing they can't play them. Might struggle to arrange a friendly against worthwhile opposition.

10 hours ago, arbitro said:

There aren't too many names I recognise in today's under 21 game. There is no Harlock, Leonard, Gamble, Pratt and a host of others I would have expected to start. Strange to say the least.

How did the rookie team get on?

I only recognise 4 of the names. Definitely a young side.

Chelsea's website has a report on, from memory, a 3-0 win for them. They had Omari Hutchinson playing, the signing from Arsenal, and it sounds like they walked it, with Rovers having one shot on target. Hopefully, a good learning experience for the team.

Gilsenan reportedly came off h-t, which is hopefully, not due to injury after his ACL recovery.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Do u21 games count as competitive? I mean by definition, I'm not dismissing the standard or disagreeing with your point. Although if there's no u21 games playing they can't play them. Might struggle to arrange a friendly against worthwhile opposition.

Having watched and refereed reserve team (the old Central League) and friendlies I would say there is more intensity in the former. Clearly the first team is the priority but usually players are more competitive when there are points to play for.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Chelsea's website has a report on, from memory, a 3-0 win for them. They had Omari Hutchinson playing, the signing from Arsenal, and it sounds like they walked it, with Rovers having one shot on target. Hopefully, a good learning experience for the team.

Gilsenan reportedly came off h-t, which is hopefully, not due to injury after his ACL recovery.

No surprise when we've switched from half the team having first team experience to half the u18s being involved.

• Like 1