BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

13 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Dan Pike and Sam Burns were established U23/21 players awarded short-term deals, so you would think that the club might say something about their long-term absences but, apparently, not, unless I've missed some news.  

Pike was someone I was sure would have a career in professional football. Was probably the best and most consistent performer when the U23 challenged Man City for the title the season before last. Had a loan spell for Fylde last season and seems to have dissapear a bit since then. 

Burns probably a bit of same scenario. 

Being 20, they are probably victim of being not being as highly rated as the younger generation and not being preferred. 

With so many seniors dropping down to U21, there is limited spaces for the academy players. While it helps on the result, I'm not sure it's beneficial for the younger lads

35 minutes ago, briansol said:

Pike was someone I was sure would have a career in professional football. Was probably the best and most consistent performer when the U23 challenged Man City for the title the season before last. Had a loan spell for Fylde last season and seems to have dissapear a bit since then. 

Burns probably a bit of same scenario. 

Being 20, they are probably victim of being not being as highly rated as the younger generation and not being preferred. 

With so many seniors dropping down to U21, there is limited spaces for the academy players. While it helps on the result, I'm not sure it's beneficial for the younger lads

Ye but if they go out to NLN and don't make an impact that's pretty much it isn't it?  Can we expect to keep paying them wages? Make way for the younger lads

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ye but if they go out to NLN and don't make an impact that's pretty much it isn't it?  Can we expect to keep paying them wages? Make way for the younger lads

Agree with that. Pike was just an observation, bit suprised he hasn't kicked on. Thought he would at least be League 2 level by now.

Burns, I've always been a bit more uncertain about. Saw a few games of last season of him and he struggled against the physical nature of League 2 football. However he played for an extremely poor side who never scored with or without him. There is something to be said about finding the right club when sending players off on loan. Love his energy and playing style, can see a career in the lower league/NL, but not Championship level. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Dan Pike and Sam Burns were established U23/21 players awarded short-term deals, so you would think that the club might say something about their long-term absences but, apparently, not, unless I've missed some news.  

Why would Rovers make any comment on them? I expect both will leave in January and try to rebuild their career playing regular football whether its league 2 or Conference league. 

25 minutes ago, bounceFM said:

Hey. Quick question: Does anyone know whether Ashley Phillips and Harry Leonard is born in Lancashire? Can't find anything online. 

I'm doing a FIFA career with Blackburn where I'm only using players from Lancashire (or Lancashire academies).

Ash is a Bury lad I think

• Backroom
2 hours ago, bounceFM said:

Hey. Quick question: Does anyone know whether Ashley Phillips and Harry Leonard is born in Lancashire? Can't find anything online. 

I'm doing a FIFA career with Blackburn where I'm only using players from Lancashire (or Lancashire academies).

Depends if you're using Lancashire as currently defined or Lancashire Palatine.

On 30/10/2022 at 11:12, Sparks Rover said:

Burns did make an impact, albeit at FC United and in one of those ridiculous one month or so loans, which if they are suitable for anyone, perhaps 17/18 year olds for work experience. However, after a bright moment (scoring two on Burns Night) at Scunthorpe, in League 2, he didn't score after that, I believe.

He's surely heading out but a passing mention in match previews for U23s would be welcome just to say if he's injured.  Just as there is one currently with a quote stating that Barnes is still a long-term absentee in the first team match preview.

Incidentally, Ash Phillips is out with an injury. The number of niggling injuries he gets is to me a concern, albeit, without me having any expertise or knowledge of details. Simply his age and frequency of injuries over the past year have me concerned that there might be an issue there. The idea that he is ready to be a regular back-up to the first team is surely misguided.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Burns did make an impact, albeit at FC United and in one of those ridiculous one month or so loans, which if they are suitable for anyone, perhaps 17/18 year olds for work experience. However, after a bright moment (scoring two on Burns Night) at Scunthorpe, in League 2, he didn't score after that, I believe.

He's surely heading out but a passing mention in match previews for U23s would be welcome just to say if he's injured.  Just as there is one currently with a quote stating that Barnes is still a long-term absentee in the first team match preview.

Incidentally, Ash Phillips is out with an injury. The number of niggling injuries he gets is to me a concern, albeit, without me having any expertise or knowledge of details. Simply his age and frequency of injuries over the past year have me concerned that there might be an issue there. The idea that he is ready to be a regular back-up to the first team is surely misguided.

Sounds like Phillips has outgrown his strength at the moment.

2 hours ago, riverholmes said:

You are making a good point on Phillips. Don't necessary think there is an issue his body but the game load needs to be managed.  Last year he picked up two injuries that kept him out for months in total. Both I think came when away with England U-17. Part of the problem was that he played for the U-18, U-23 and England U-17, usually two games a week. Big ask for boy who just had turned 16. This year he's part of the seniors with a lot more intensity, played 2 games a week and still just 17. The physical and mental workload is something that needs to be managed for players that young, similar with Wharton.

3 hours ago, rigger said:

I wonder, if we are going to play youngsters in the cup game against West Ham , will todays U21s game be mainly players from the U18s . If so it could be another thrashing from a good Brighton side.

Who cares.? Irrelevant and maybe good experience for a couple of 16 year olds.

Edited by Sparks Rover