BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

New 3 year contract for Jack Vale.

Bit of a head scratcher for me, unless they're just securing him as an asset for a future sale as he looks way off the standard for the Championship.

But he is a central forward, at the moment that is where we need cover. Especially if we are going down the two forwards route.

23 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

New 3 year contract for Jack Vale.

Bit of a head scratcher for me, unless they're just securing him as an asset for a future sale as he looks way off the standard for the Championship.

delighted for Jack Vale and that Rovers have signed him to 3 years contract. good move for all parties. 

He is only 21 years old and still plenty to come from him and with JDT here he will help him develop and get better as all round striker. 

A little underwhelmed by the news to be honest. Vale has never scored nor looked like scoring for us and hasn't shown much otherwise either in terms of general play. He even struggled in loan spells at much lower levels and I expected him to perhaps try and forge a career in the lower leagues once his contract expired.

Our academy is excellent and there are clearly some very good talents, with Adam Wharton the breakthrough star this season. Ash Phillips isn't ready for Championship football yet but is clearly a promising player too, Carter is establishing himself, Scott Wharton remains a constant and there are others. But Vale has never looked close to being up to it. Let's hope he can kick on and show far more.

• Like 6

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

delighted for Jack Vale and that Rovers have signed him to 3 years contract. good move for all parties. 

He is only 21 years old and still plenty to come from him and with JDT here he will help him develop and get better as all round striker. 

21 isn't that young for a striker yet to really make an impact on the first team Chaddy. 

I really hope he kicks on, it's certainly a huge vote of confidence in the lad's potential. I suppose one thing that you'd say for him is that strikers who lead the line often develop a bit later than others, but he'll need to improve enormously on what he's shown so far. 

• Like 5

Just now, rigger said:

The thing is, last season the club was being critisised for not having players on contracts and letting them go for nothing. Now people are complaining about signing young players on contracts. Dammed if you don't, dammed if you do. 

People were complaining about first teamers leaving for free. I don't think anyone was complaining about not renewing Davenport's contract for instance (even if he was a little unlucky not to get more gametime, but that's a different story).

If Vale ends up turning into a decent player and contributing at this level, then full marks to the club for getting it right. He has a long way to go before that point though. I can't see it being a massive pay hike, so to be fair it might be a case of seeing what he can do this year and then if he hasn't broken through by then, reassess in the summer. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

The thing is, last season the club was being critisised for not having players on contracts and letting them go for nothing. Now people are complaining about signing young players on contracts. Dammed if you don't, dammed if you do. 

Is there no middle ground or scope for judging each individual case based on the player? Or is it either everyone gets a new deal or nobody does?

• Like 3

Just now, JacknOry said:

I remember getting a programme years ago were Alan Shearer was bigging up Marlon Broomes as the next Bobby Moore. It didn’t work out that way. Maybe he never saw Bobby Moore play.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A little underwhelmed by the news to be honest. Vale has never scored nor looked like scoring for us and hasn't shown much otherwise either in terms of general play. He even struggled in loan spells at much lower levels and I expected him to perhaps try and forge a career in the lower leagues once his contract expired.

No surprised that you are underwhelmed by that new contract news for Vale but clearly JDT and GB see a player who can have a positive impact on our season and the future. He will show you in the future that he is worth a new contract. He is 21 years old and someone that JDT can improve given his experience in playing the same role. 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Our academy is excellent and there are clearly some very good talents, with Adam Wharton the breakthrough star this season. Ash Phillips isn't ready for Championship football yet but is clearly a promising player too, Carter is establishing himself, Scott Wharton remains a constant and there are others. But Vale has never looked close to being up to it. Let's hope he can kick on and show far more.

You wouldn't expect Ash Phillips to be ready at his age, would you? 

I agree that our academy is excellent and just keep producing good quality players and I expect to keep producing them

I wouldn’t expect Phillips to ready to hold down a first team place at his age. Centre halves need maturity more than most other positions and that only comes with time. How many other 18 year old centre halves are there playing regular first team games in the football league ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

• Backroom

Jake Batty is the one I'm excited about next. He looked supe b against Hartlepool, and played like a proper wing back rather than a fullback playing wing back.

Could be our left-sided Brittan next season if he gets a chance to break in this year.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No surprised that you are underwhelmed by that new contract news for Vale but clearly JDT and GB see a player who can have a positive impact on our season and the future. He will show you in the future that he is worth a new contract. He is 21 years old and someone that JDT can improve given his experience in playing the same role. 

You wouldn't expect Ash Phillips to be ready at his age, would you? 

I agree that our academy is excellent and just keep producing good quality players and I expect to keep producing them

Equally, I am unsurprised by you massively endorsing a decision made by the club.

This isn't a case of constant pessimism and misery. In fact, its amidst a post where I praised the academy and a number of our prospects. Specific to Vale though, i have seen nothing to suggest that he is Championship level or ever will be. In the games he has started this season, he has looked well out of his depth even v Hartlepool. He has yet to score or look like scoring, he isnt quick and he has struggled physically. His loan spells have all been unsuccessful too.

And just because Tomasson was a good/great striker doesnt mean he can make Vale into one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Jake Batty is the one I'm excited about next. He looked supe b against Hartlepool, and played like a proper wing back rather than a fullback playing wing back.

Could be our left-sided Brittan next season if he gets a chance to break in this year.

Wasn't he in the same situation as Phillips in that he hasn't signed a pro contract with us yet? 

34 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

21 isn't that young for a striker yet to really make an impact on the first team Chaddy. 

I really hope he kicks on, it's certainly a huge vote of confidence in the lad's potential. I suppose one thing that you'd say for him is that strikers who lead the line often develop a bit later than others, but he'll need to improve enormously on what he's shown so far. 

I think Jack Vale is still young in terms of game played and minutes in first team football

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is there no middle ground or scope for judging each individual case based on the player? Or is it either everyone gets a new deal or nobody does?

Well that Rovers done and they have given new contracts since start of the summer to our best promising players like Sam Barnes, Ash Phillips, Jack Vale, Adam Wharton. Plus Jake Garrett signed a 4 years contract in summer 2021. I just hope we give new contracts to Joe Hilton, Jake Batty and Harry Leonard in the coming weeks and months

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Equally, I am unsurprised by you massively endorsing a decision made by the club.

I am said since last summer I would have given him a new contract since the summer. I have watched him develop from the under 18's here. 

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

This isn't a case of constant pessimism and misery. In fact, its amidst a post where I praised the academy and a number of our prospects. Specific to Vale though, i have seen nothing to suggest that he is Championship level or ever will be. In the games he has started this season, he has looked well out of his depth even v Hartlepool. He has yet to score or look like scoring, he isnt quick and he has struggled physically. His loan spells have all been unsuccessful too.

And just because Tomasson was a good/great striker doesnt mean he can make Vale into one.

JDT has a better chance than most coaches given his experience as striker. 

Well, I look forward to when Vale proves you wrong cos, I will quote this post when he does that. Vale was good against Blackpool and almost scored there. Not interested in his loan spells either. It's about now and the future. 

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Jack Vale is still young in terms of game played and minutes in first team football

Well that Rovers done and they have given new contracts since start of the summer to our best promising players like Sam Barnes, Ash Phillips, Jack Vale, Adam Wharton. Plus Jake Garrett signed a 4 years contract in summer 2021. I just hope we give new contracts to Joe Hilton, Jake Batty and Harry Leonard in the coming weeks and months

What? My point was responding to rigger who implied that people moan about contracts either way, I said that it depends on the player, we should ideally only hand contracts to ones of value to us. The departees last year all have value, as do the likes of Wharton and Phillips for whom their deals were met with widespread praise. Vale seemingly has more doubters hence why the reaction is not as warm.

31 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Just recently Batty has been a bit petulant on the pitch, I hope this does not hinder what could be an excellent career.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

For the sake of the club, I hope Vale does prove everyone wrong, but he’s not shown a right lot in what I’ve seen of him so far, certainly not enough to warrant a new (and presumably improved) deal.

• Like 5