BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

On 20/02/2024 at 13:07, KentExile said:

Salah plays on the right for Liverpool, not a natural winger, but very effective at what he does. Brereton played on the left, certainly was not a winger. 

There are very few wingers these days.  Most who would in the past have been seen as "natural wingers", have recently been converted into full backs (and I do not mean just at Rovers), although the recent trend towards inverted full backs will presumably push them elsewhere on the field

Because Salah does something, doesn't mean Gilzenan has the ability to do so. 

1 hour ago, rigger said:

So what was your point ?

Maybe points rather than point, but here you go

- Just because someone plays wide, does not mean that they are (or  have to be) a winger

- Wingers are used fairly seldom in todays game (although these things are cyclical, and I am sure that they will come back in vouge, but the current trend is to try to dominate centrally almost at the expense of wide areas)

- Most players who we would probably see as having the skillset of a natural winger are these days used elsewhere on the field (ie full back/wing back)

Before anyone says that we should or shouldn't be playing wingers, I am not making the argument about what Rovers (or any other team) should or should not be doing, just describing what they are currently doing

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Maybe points rather than point, but here you go

- Just because someone plays wide, does not mean that they are (or  have to be) a winger

- Wingers are used fairly seldom in todays game (although these things are cyclical, and I am sure that they will come back in vouge, but the current trend is to try to dominate centrally almost at the expense of wide areas)

- Most players who we would probably see as having the skillset of a natural winger are these days used elsewhere on the field (ie full back/wing back)

Before anyone says that we should or shouldn't be playing wingers, I am not making the argument about what Rovers (or any other team) should or should not be doing, just describing what they are currently doing

I still don't get the point of playing people out of position, when they cannot get in at their favoured position.It doesn't matter what you call that position, be it winger or wide forward, it is still the same player in that position.

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

I still don't get the point of playing people out of position, when they cannot get in at their favoured position.It doesn't matter what you call that position, be it winger or wide forward, it is still the same player in that position.

I am not arguing that point, please see the final paragraph on my previous post that you replied to

Edited by KentExile

11 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Rovers loanees Georgie Gent and Jack Vale both in the starting line up for Motherwell versus Celtic live on Sky.

According to BBC (who are quite often wrong about these things) Vale will be playing as one of twin number 10s, and Motherwell playing much the same formation that Rovers currently do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/68361368

Motherwell fans do seem to like Vale (and Gent), they view Vale as a pacey and hard working forward who presses well.  Will be interesting to see how they both get on against one of the 2 decent teams North of the border

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Thought Gent played well and no sooner had he gone off Celtic scored two goals from down his side.

What do he do well and could improve with? 

could he challenge Pickering next season for the left back/wing back role? 

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What do he do well and could improve with? 

could he challenge Pickering next season for the left back/wing back role? 

He's a wing back rather more than a full back and has been doing well in the last couple of months with a few assists and a goal. Could well be in the first team squad next season which would mean Batty could be loaned out to see if he is going to be good enough.

• Like 2

On 25/02/2024 at 11:51, KentExile said:

Motherwell fans do seem to like Vale (and Gent), they view Vale as a pacey and hard working forward who presses well.  Will be interesting to see how they both get on against one of the 2 decent teams North of the border

Hard working? He certainly wasn't the last few times I saw him for Rovers, in fact that was the most frustrating thing about him. Maybe his failed loan at Lincoln has finally motivated him.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Hard working? He certainly wasn't the last few times I saw him for Rovers, in fact that was the most frustrating thing about him. Maybe his failed loan at Lincoln has finally motivated him.

Maybe it has, just reporting what Motherwell's fans think of him

Vale Motherwell's man of the match vs Celtic - https://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/topic/18841-motm-celtic-25-feb-2024/#comment-638158

Some Vale related comments from their forum

"Once again I thought Vale showed up very well. He puts in a ton of work and looks decent on the ball as well. He took hell of a beating today but apparently the ref thought it was ok. Bevis also had a good game so between them for me but I’ll go with the much maligned Bevis."

"I thought Vale was our best player. Tidy feet, held it up well and is forming a very good understanding with Bair. Our chances of winning the game ended with his substitution."

"No issues with Vale being substituted. The guy had put in a shift and, as you say, been targetted for some rough treatment. He had run his race by that time. Our issue is we have no one else who can do what he can do."

As an aside, Motherwell had a 17 year old midfielder playing for them who looks to have a very high ceiling.   Lennon Miller, apparently being looked at by Rangers and Celtic.  Looked a genuine future Premier League player for me.

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

He looked fit for Motherwell yesterday, helps playing week in week out.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2024 at 15:14, Mashed Potatoes said:

He's a wing back rather more than a full back and has been doing well in the last couple of months with a few assists and a goal. Could well be in the first team squad next season which would mean Batty could be loaned out to see if he is going to be good enough.

The main thing Batty has over Gent is speed.

28 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

He looked fit for Motherwell yesterday, helps playing week in week out.

He played week in week out in a couple of spells for us. I never thought it was fitnes that looked the problem either, just effort. He wasn't blowing out his ass, he just wasn't putting a shift in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Eastham starts for the under 21's which means Michalski is with the first team.

Gilsenan should be on the bench at Ewood tonight.  It's what makes the FA Cup so magical when a young lad comes on and makes a name for himself.  IMO, this lad has a 'X Factor' but needs to be given the stage!

• Like 1